“Something you should read!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Rate
New Year's Eve from $479
Ranked #250 of 454 Hotels in New York City
New York City, New York
“Something you should read!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

If I could give this hotel a rating below 1, I would! If you have the choice, do NOT stay here! There are hundreds of other hotels in this city and all of which I'm sure you'll have a great experience at, unlike this one. I stayed here for an extended visit and could not be more appalled at the service I received. The from desk employees were never helpful nor did they ever have a good attitude, especially the woman with short black hair. It doesn't matter how nice you are to them, they do not reciprocate, except for the housekeepers, mine was very pleasant! But the head of housing, not so much especially if the front desk directed your call to her and you ruined her day! Also, I'm not sure how it is in all of the other rooms, but if you are put in one of the middle rooms, there is a 99% chance you will not have cell service unless you hoard in the corner near the door. And wifi! Even after changing their whole wifi system, they still can't get that right, it may cost more money to fix it, but in my opinion it's an investment worth doing in order to provide your guests with an efficient service. Now if you're like me and are an extended guest and not just here for a few days, I hope you don't plan on washing your clothes here because yes, they do have 2 washers and 2 dryers, but the odds of them both working are slim. Either the dryers are both broken and you're stuck having to carry a bag of wet clothes 6 blocks down to the laundromat because they did not tell you the dryers were broken. Or a washer will be broken and you won't know until you go to take your clothes out and they now all smell like mold and are sitting in a pool of water. The gym, well the gym is great, props to them on that one! Also, I will say this is in a great location, but in order to own up to the title of "The Official Hotel of the Macy's Day Parade," they ought to make some changes and not just count on their 31st and 7th address to hold them up. I am completely upset with they way I've been treated and the actions they "took" to resolve issues throughout my stay. If I were able to move locations, I would have, trust me, but due to certain circumstances, I had no choice but to stay. But thank you doorman for always trying to brighten my day upon entering and leaving the building, I appreciate it! To make this post a little less gloomy, I would like to end on a high note and give the restaurant downstairs credit for some phenomenal food they have!

• Stayed September 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (451)
Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I have been staying at this hotel for a few years on business trips and Jenny who welcomes guest at the front desk is above and beyond the definition of a hospitality professional. She takes the time to make sure your stay is enjoyable and comfortable. As a result, I always look forward to my trips to the Affinia Manhattan in NYC.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Lake Oswego, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I was a guest at the Affinia hotel 11/8-11/10. I am a woman and I was traveling alone. On Saturday night at 10:30, I had a very scary situation while I was heading to my room: a man had followed me to my floor and tried to block me from possibly getting help. In the elevator, I had noticed as he stood next to me that he very blatantly grabbed his crotch. As you can imagine, I felt very uncomfortable when he and I were the only people to get off the elevator on my floor. He suspiciously loitered outside the elevator banks as I started to head to my room. So I followed my gut and rather than going to my room, I turned around and headed back to the elevators to go back downstairs to tell the front desk. The man was trying to distract me from getting on the elevator — the elevator door the opposite end of the elevator banks from where I was standing kept opening and shutting every time I pushed the button, but he was blocking my way to get to it and blocking access to the house phone. Finally an elevator opened in front of me, I went to the front desk and they immediately called security. The security person on duty took me up to my floor. The man was gone. The security person escorted me to my room. About five minutes later, the security person called my room to say that they had found the man and had escorted him out of the hotel.

Needless to say, I didn’t sleep that night. I felt very uncomfortable in the hotel and “what could have happened“ — harassment, robbery or, worse yet, sexual assault — kept going through my mind. Being a woman traveling alone, the thought of going out again on Sunday night with friends and returning to the hotel again after dark was really unsettling. So in the morning, I tried to call down to the front desk to ask what my options were…and the house phone in my room didn’t work! So I packed my things, went to the front desk, told them my situation and that I wanted to check out a day early. However, when the front desk clerk went back to talk to the manager about what happened, the manager – Delci – never even came out to talk to me and find out more about the situation! They said they would refund my money through Expedia, but when I contacted the Expedia and Expedia contacted the hotel to ask about the refund, the hotel reneged on its promise to refund me.

I wrote an e-mail to Delci and also talked to the hotel manager on the phone. While they ended up finally refunding my money, they showed absolutely no concern for the incident.

I have lived in NYC and travelled there more times than I can count – nothing like this has ever happened to me. But what was the most upsetting is the lack of concern from hotel management and the possibility of this same incident – or even worse – happenning to another woman staying alone at the Affinia Manhattan. The location is convenient, but it is in what I consider a seedy part of Manhattan.

If you are a woman travelling alone, or even travelling with a group of women, I would NOT recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Just returned from a four night stay at this hotel the staff were very friendly and approachable and when I booked in it was on my birthday they sent a bottle of wine up to my room. This hotel has a great location which is central to everything other than when we went to Battery park we walked everywhere we wanted to visit. There were five in our party so we had two rooms both of which were clean and comfortable. Over the years I have visited New York I have stayed at this hotel four times and if we return to New York it would be the first hotel that I would look at.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

My boyfriend and I stay here occasionally for a night in the city. We both work in the city and this location is convenient to everything, both our offices, numerous subway lines, LIRR, NJ Transit, PATH- perfect for anyone traveling and wants to get the most out of their visit to NYC.
The rooms are always well appointed, decorated very nicely, we always get a spacious room with TV area and kitchen. Though some details are showing signs of wear and tear (door frames), it may be time for some cosmetic refreshing of the hotel. One down side I have experienced is the poor cable connection on the TV's- that may be something they need to take up with their provider.

I would definitely recommend Affinia Manhattan to anybody looking for a great place to stay.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Hertfordshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Positives: staff were friendly and there were plenty of elevators, the bed was comfortable and clean and I felt safe. There are a lot of "buts" though.

I found dirty cotton buds under the (tiny) sink, which was not great. The rooms need a complete overhaul - one of the lower sash windows came out in my hand when I opened it which was something of a surprise - and potentially dangerous given I was on a high floor! All the windows fitted poorly and that contributed to poor noise insulation. Paintwork and wall paper were scuffed and a bit jaded. Each of my colleagues had a differently configured room for the same price - I had a large work area with desk, but the tiniest bathroom I have ever had in a hotel. The bar under the hotel is nice and breakfast was very good, if a little pricey.

On balance the convenience of the location just about made it worth staying here, but I understand many of my colleagues now stay further afield. Shame, with a little investment it could be good.

Room Tip: try for a high floor - and avoid the side over the fire station if noise bothers you
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Kenosha, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I stayed here over the weekend and I was impressed. A lot of hotels have that old hotel smell but this hotel was pleasant and my room was nicely decorated with two closets, mounted flat screen tv and a desk. White bed sheets and memory foam pillows. The room had a kitchenette with an oversized mini fridge and microwave and sink and had dishes and glasses. The streets of NYC are noisy but they had ear plugs int he side table drawer if you needed them. The room was a nice size. Not cramped at all.
The staff was NY friendly and the location was perfect with being across from Penn Station and the Garden, and my favorite Macys Herald Square! You can take the train to the airport. The hotel seems classic with an updated trendy decor.

Room Tip: Get a room on the side not facing 31st Ave...there is a firehouse and it is behind the hotel and the...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled solo

Been to Affinia Manhattan? Share your experiences!