“Will be back again.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Manhattan NYC

You added Manhattan NYC to your Saves list
Manhattan NYC
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   371 Seventh Ave, New York City, NY 10001 (Formerly Affinia Manhattan) (Chelsea)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
New Year’s Eve in NYC
Ranked #261 of 457 Hotels in New York City
Melbourne, Australia
“Will be back again.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel twice. Concierge staff are extremely knowledgable, location is so close to Penn Station. Not in the centre of Times Square so rooms are spacious, modern and affordable. But still close enough to walk to. I cannot fault this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
ASpektor, General Manager at Manhattan NYC, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear Naomi_love_2_travel,

Thank you for your lovely review of Affinia Manhattan.
Your points are precisely right – while not in the middle of Times Square, our hotel is a ten minute walk away. Additionally, it’s close to all other New York City attractions – whether for business or pleasure.
We can’t wait to welcome you back again!

Alex Spektor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
Suwanee, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

I booked this hotel for 3 nights on the Affinia website. It looked upscale and peaceful on the website. When we arrived at the hotel we waited 15 minutes to check in. The desk clerk must have been laughing hysterically when I requested a room away from the elevator because I didn't want to hear it "ding" all night. She put us across the hall from the elevators and right next to the FIRE STATION that is NEXT DOOR to the hotel. The fire alarms which could wake the dead, and lasted several minutes, went off 6 times during night and there was a loud fight at the elevator by a drunk couple at 4:30AM. When we arrived in the room it smelled like mold. The room was dingy and the wallpaper was peeling form the walls. There is or has been a leak from the upstairs room and there are water stains on the ceiling in the bedroom and bathroom. The bedroom closet has several scratches and the paint has turned yellow with age. The front bathroom white shower curtain had a blood on it and the floor hadn't been swept. There was short black hair all over the floor. I called down to the manager and he sent someone to replace the shower curtain. The next morning I went down and demanded a new room away from the fire station and elevator. The desk clerk initially told me that there wasn't any available, but changed her mind when I told her to call VISA and tell them that I was in a room next to a fire station and none of that was mentioned on the website. We were moved to a new room on the 26th floor that was much cleaner and was away from the fire station. However, the windows are single paned and it was still very noisy in the room at night. There are only 3 elevators that were running and the wait was approx 5 - 10 minutes. The only reason I gave this a 2 rating is because the location is great. It is right next to Penn station, LIRR and NJ transit. It is a block away from Madison Square Gardens. There is shopping close by and nearly every restaurant you can think of within a 3 block walk. The service is mediocre. The manager handled my complaints quickly and businesslike, The desk clerk did not smile or greet me just complained she was tired. The housekeeping crew was very nice and pleasantly said good morning. There are door men, but only 1 held the door open for my disabled mother all weekend. On Monday 4/28 when we were leaving for the airport the doorman tried to sell me on a black SUV ride instead of a taxi to Laguardia Airport. This is illegal and I was upset with the doorman for delaying me from catching a cab. Overall this hotel is too loud with the fire station located next door the service and cleanliness is mediocre.

Dear smsgmax,

Thank you for your review.
I appreciate your feedback and am reviewing your comments with our team. I’m terribly sorry that we did live up to your expectations during your last visit. Being that our hotel is in the middle of the City surrounded by sights and sounds of New York, I can understand how some of them are more alluring than others, however, our team does a tremendous job at accommodating varying preferences. Additionally, there are a few items I would like to follow up on and kindly ask that you please contact me directly via Tripadvisor Messenger. I look forward to hearing from you and speaking with you soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

First time at the hotel. Reservation agent was very helpful in selecting a room for a mother/daughters get-together. Location was important -- wanted to be near Penn Station and sights in downtown Manhattan (Statue of Liberty; World Trade Center memorial). Of course, it was very busy with travelers and the Rangers playing at Madison Square but that is to be expected. The room was large for Manhattan and we had a fold-out couch. Decor was modern and interesting. All was very clean and welcoming. Bathroom was on the small-ish side but ok. Concierge was very helpful with restaurant suggestions, subway directions, etc. Staff was accommodating with extra bedding for foldout couch. Very pleased with the experience.

Room Tip: Reservation agent was helpful in choosing between a variety of rooms and bed types. There were trad...
Dear Rachel B,

Thank you for your lovely review and your kind comments about Affinia Manhattan and our entire team. I’m delighted that our reservations team was very helpful in selecting the appropriate hotel for the type of experience you had in mind. And you are absolutely correct about our fantastic location being near all the sights and sounds of New York! Being across the street from Madison Square Garden and a five minute walk from the Empire State Building, one simply cannot go wrong with the Affinia Manhattan. We thank you for choosing our hotel and hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

Central location by Penn Station brilliant had room on 19th floor away from street. Upgrade to suite very welcome. Room comfortable spacious bed very comfortable. Knowledgable staff, perfect location for travelers..

Room Tip: Request higher up away from city noise
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
ASpektor, General Manager at Manhattan NYC, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear Dubbay,

Thank you for your lovely review! It’s a pleasure to hear that you found our hotel comfortable and your stay enjoyable. Whenever your travels bring you back to New York, we look forward to being your home away from home. We look forward to seeing you very soon.
Thank you for choosing Affinia Manhattan.

Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

My partner booked us into the Affinia Manhattan for a surprise 5 day trip to NYC for my 30th birthday, as I had always wanted to visits New York. He booked through Trailfinders in the UK who assured us that this was an excellent, luxury 4* hotel in Mid Manhattan, and he wanted it to be a special trip, and more luxury than or usual budget travel, so he splashed out. Sadly it did not meet our expectations.

When we first checked in, we had to wait for about 20 minutes, in part as the reception staff were dealing with other customers' complaints...this should have been fair warning! The room was tiny, with a small double bed, barely room to get around the bed, let alone for two suitcases, and there was an old, ugly and very noisy air conditioning unit on the wall. The bathroom was worn and tired looking, and so small it was comical....You couldn't fully open the door as the toilet was in the way. The shower worked only on half power, as the other half the water came out of the bath taps. We also found an old sock and a cosmetics bottle in the room....not what I would expect from a '4*' hotel.

I went to reception to discuss our disappointment at the room-we had expected at the very least, a clean room with a fully functioning bathroom, but for the price we paid, even in mid manhattan, we expected much higher quality. They reluctantly agreed to upgrade us to a bigger room, but not until the following day.

The upgrade, a suite, was much bigger, with two double beds, although they were no bigger. There was a kitchenette which was a bonus. The bathroom was exactly the same, with the same problem with the shower!! Perhaps none of their showers work?

We were much happier with the room, although it was still worn looking, with a lot of cracks etc and not particularly clean, with the same ugly and noisy (and I think broken!) air conditioning unit-but we made do. We found more dirty underwear (not ours) when checking the room as we checked out-apparently this is as standard?!

We found the staff, including the concierge to be rude and unhelpful-when we checked out, we wanted to leave our luggage in storage for a few hours until it was time to leave for our flight. We needed to get something out of one of the bags whilst they were in storage, and the concierge/bellboy who was watching the luggage store was extremely rude and refused to let us get anything out of our luggage unless we removed it all from storage. We had the ticket for the luggage and ID, and he was the same man who checked the luggage in an hour earlier so it was not a security issue, which we would have appreciated. In addition, the internet was extortionately priced in a city where every cafe offers free wifi.

We thought that the free wine hour they offered seemed like a nice bonus, but a 4 star hotel offering free wine in beakers wasn't quite what we expected. There was a very noisy event on in the lobby one evening, which was quite intimidating and unpleasant for guests who may want to take advantage of free wine hour. None of the staff seemed to know what the event was but it seemed quite tacky.

The cleaners were very friendly and did a good job every day and the location was great but that is about all good that we can say about it.

We travel a lot, usually on a budget, so we are very used to and happy in lower end hotels...but this hotel was priced and sold to us as a high end option but sadly, and very disappointingly for us, on our special trip, did not deliver.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear BP1704,

Thank you for your review and feedback.
I’m extremely disappointed that we did not exceed your expectations this time. The feedback you provided is useful and am reviewing your comments with our team. While we strive for operational excellence, we did experience a system glitch which affected our check in process. This unfortunate incident, which occurred in April, has immediately been attended to and resolved allowing for normal operations to resume. I do hope that we’ll be given another opportunity to accommodate you in the near future. We highly appreciate your business and sincerely thank you for selecting our hotel.

Hillerod, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

We have been staying at this hotel two times, and think it's the best choice, if you want to be in the middle of the lovely city. By foot you can reach everything, just remember your walking shoes. Of course the rooms can't be quiet, you are in the middle of it all. The staff at the hotel are very helpful with everything. The rooms are very clean and the beds are almost as good as them at home.
Next month we have our third trip to NY, and of course we have booked this hotel again.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Pia L,

Thank you for such a wonderful review! I’m delighted that you found our team to be very friendly and incredibly helpful. Whenever your travels bring you back to New York, we look forward to being your home away from home.
Thank you for choosing Affinia Manhattan.

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Dear Affinia: I used to love to brag about you. I loved the convenience of the hotel and friendly service but my stay this month, I have to take everything back. A prepaid reservation I made back in February and a note on the reservation stating that I would be late did nothing to prevent you from giving away my room for the first night of my 3-night stay. Your manager Ashley tried to explain something about maintenance issue but then later said it was about security. I had to push to get some sort of justice for the otherwise smaller room that I was supposed to be thankful that they gave me! To top it off, my return trip found me back in NYC when my travel plans changed. I called back to Affinia to try to stay again (I didn't have access to a computer and your number was in my phone.) Central reservations told me you had a two-night minimum, which did not sound right to me. So I called the hotel directly and spoke to a manager who said you were completely sold out anyway!!! Not sure what the discrepancy was here. I stayed at a sister property -- the Affinia Dumont -- and it reminded me of how the Affinia Manhattan used to be.
I don't know what you have done to screw up your reservation system, but please fix it. You just aren't reliable. My husband said he couldn't believe how nice I used to claim it was given this experience.

Dear YepltsMe2014,

Thank you for your review.
I’m very disappointed that during your last stay we did not exceed your expectations. While we strive for operational excellence, we did experience a system glitch which affected our room availability. This unfortunate incident, which occurred in April, has immediately been attended to and resolved allowing for normal operations to resume. I do hope that when you travels bring you back to New York, you’ll give us another opportunity to make this right as we would love to accommodate you-seamlessly this time.

Alex Spektor

Been to Manhattan NYC? Share your experiences!