“Poor housekeeping...and watch the mini bar” 3 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   310 West Broadway, New York City, NY 10013 (SoHo)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #146 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Wiscasset, Maine
“Poor housekeeping...and watch the mini bar”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2009

This hotel is OK if you can get a good discount but not if you pay the rack rate. The location is excellent if you like the seedy fringe of Soho next to China Town (which I do), but not if you need to be in mid town for an early meeting or are nervous about the dingier parts of Manhattan. The rooms are small and comfortable but the housekeeping is consistently poor. The lobby and hallways are grimy and in need of refurbishment. On a recent stay the cleaner removed the soap and the toilet paper and two light bulbs, and did not replace them. On another occasion, the television remote control was missing and a replacement never arrived. After my last stay there mini bar charges were incorrecttly added to my credit card one week after I had left. I never use hotel mini bars but when I contacted the hotel they refused to reverse the charges and I eventually gave up trying to do anything about them.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Turkish first
Astoria, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2009

I stayed at the Grand Soho Hotel during a very busy night, Valentines day. The location is pretty good, about two blocks away from a major subway terminal (Canal Street). The hotel is situated by a very busy area, however the entrance is on a less populated block. There are 24 hour restaurants in the China Town area and a 24 hour Deli directly across the street from the entrance. The employees are all REALLY nice, they never came off as "snotty". Upon check-in all guests received free champagne, they filled our cups to the top... NICE. The rooms are very clean, the bathrooms have nice artistic wallpaper and are designed nicely. The tub is larger than standard size. The shower has some great water pressure, a feature adjustable. The beds are very soft and easy to sleep in. The beds are Queens size, my boyfriend is 6'2 and had no problems sleeping in it, his feet were not hanging out, etc. Their television is a bit out dated, however it has cable and you can watch DVDs (if you bring your own - the player is free to use). The mini bar is a bit expensive, I would recommend to go across the street and purchase whatever you need. The rooms are very quiet as well, on a busy day I expected to hear lots of noise.... but I was left undisturbed. The hotel has multiple elevators, I never waited more than a minute to use them. Pets are also allowed in the hotel, which is very obvious from the artwork to the pet food on the menu. There is also a machine on every floor that disburses free coffee, tea, hot chocolate, ice and water. Overall this was an excellent experience.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

I had two rooms during my split stay, one was luckily north facing and on the 16th floor enabling me to see the Chrysler Building and the Rockefeller Centre. Absolutely stunning at night...

The service was great and the rooms and hotel averall are modern, stylish and clean. THe downside is that this all comes at a cost. Breakfast for two as room service will set you back at least $70, but having stayed elsewhere in New York then it's worth the extra if you can afford it. The location is superb too.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2009

Stayed at S.G. last weekend, loved the restaurants on corner - Ate at Lusso, and had a great time. Shopped up and down West Broadway then over to Broadway. Eveerything was close by, and the doormen at S.G. were very helpful..

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
Raleigh, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2009

We stayed at the Soho Grand for a weekend away and it is very aesthetically pleasing, but that is pretty much all I can say. The staff seemed like they were doing me a favor versus actually providing customer service. The rooms were nicely appointed, but small and the bathrooms were very small. Plus, there was absolutely no counter top, which I can't stand in a hotel. I found the price reasonable as compared to any other hotel in the city. It is in a great neighborhood, but I was just expecting more. The $8 beer we got from the mini-fridge was completely flat and we could not get the room service folks to understand that we felt owed a new beer.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2009

Agonised over where to stay for nine nights in NYC. Have been there every couple of years since 1985. Have never been treated as well in a New York Hotel as we were at the Soho Grand. Surprising for an establishment frequented by the odd celebrity but never for a moment felt anything other than genuinely cared for by great people. Smallish King bed room for two people for nine nights but very good use of space made it absolutely fine. And overall tremendous value for money. Seriously impressive place and people.

• Liked — the staff, the amenities, the design.
  • Disliked — no criticism at all
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Westfield, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2009

My husband picked the Soho Grand because of it's great location, which was all that really mattered to me initially, but my stay was one pleasant surprise after another.

Our room was part of a "Seduction in Soho" package, so we were offered champagne upon arrival, which was nice. But the real treat was the staff. I kept thinking that someone had informed them it was our anniversary because everywhere I turned, someone was being warm and helpful (and not in the annoying overbearing way I find in some of the places I visit in the city). It turns out, that's just the way they are. Thanks to all of them, every transition was smooth, I got everything I needed, got great directions easily, was introduced to my new favorite dessert (warm berry crisp with ice cream) and enjoyed a worry-free, relaxing weekend. I'm generally more a fan of the raw and gritty NYC and often choose to stay in hotels like the Chelsea Hotel to avoid too much of the trendy and "sceney", but this was just right. Comfort, culture, colorful people. And I found the lounge a great place to take it all in.

We stayed in room 1606 with a great skyline view, featuring the Empire State Building. Rose petals and chocolates were a nice touch and our package also treated us to cocktails in the lounge (they have some great ones!) and a nice breakfast (in-room service if you like). Comfortable beds, good bathroom lighting and a "skinny" full-length mirror were some other room features that kept me in good spirits.

Based on this stay, we've decided to make the Soho Grand our new NYC headquarters. We'll be back soon.

• Liked — Location, staff and lounge
  • Stayed January 2009
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Soho Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!