“SOHO's finest!” 4 of 5 stars

Winter Weekend Escape
Ranked #150 of 458 Hotels in New York City
“SOHO's finest!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Loved the location and bar at this place. The staff were at times a bit inconsistent in service, some were there to be seen and didnt really appear to be helpful, but the bar staff were fantastic. The gym is a good size and wasnt always busy. Otherwise its a great place to stay, nice and central.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
GrandAmbassador, Guest Relations Manager at Soho Grand Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear Jo-Oso,
We so appreciate you taking time to post. Our service being inconsistent is disappointing. We do our best to maintain the same high level of service throughout our hotel; when we fall short of your expectations we need to improve. Thank you for pointing out the areas that exceeded your expectations, such as the bar staff. We are always working on improving and your review assists us in making improvements every day.
We hope to have you back with us soon.
Kelley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Just stayed 4 days last week. Really wanted to love this hotel, the staff was really great. First high end hotel in NY that I have stayed at that didnt have pretentious staff. But the hotel is in desperate need of repair , specially considering how much the rates for our suite was.

When we checked into our room, there was pieces of the roof on our bed and floor and the roof was literally falling down, with water dripping onto the bed. I immediately took photos and went downstairs to show the staff and they sent someone to vacuum the mess up and said someone would fix it the next day but they never did for the entire duration of our stay. I guess this was deemed "normal". To me, they probably should of put us in a new room right away. The room smelled like damp mold the entire duration, and the roof contintued to peel and fall down intermediately.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

I gave this hotel another chance primarily because the client i do business with uses this hotel.
I would never choose to stay here again as it simply doesn't deliver. The rooms are dark and tired and the staff are mainly there to be seen rather than to serve.
The best 3 things about it are the location, the grilled cheese sandwiches and the aqua leather chairs in the lounge.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
GrandAmbassador, Guest Relations Manager at Soho Grand Hotel, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear lovestravel65,
This is terrible and very disappointing to read. I would like to discuss your stay further either by phone or email. We pride ourselves on service and this type of review we take very seriously. Please contact me at your convenience 212-965-3555 or kfahey@sohogrand.com
I look forward to hearing from you.
Best,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

The location is great, convenient and in the heart of Soho. I have been to this hotel a number of times since it opened. The staff are still friendly and hip but the rooms could really use some work. The lamp beside my bed had an electrical issue and kept flickering on and off. The wall outlets were delicate and I had to brace the outlet plate before I removed my adapters in fear of the whole outlet coming out of the wall. The furniture was scratched and well-worn. After this place gets a refresh I will gladly return, otherwise, I am not coming back.

Room Tip: when ordering breakfast off the "door menu" try and pick an earlier time than usual, it is...
Dear Mono20013,
I am very sorry to hear about the condition of your room. We are currently in the process of renovating all of our guest rooms; many of which are already completed. It seems your room was not. I would love to speak to you and possibly work on getting you to return. When we fall short of your expectations; we fall short of our own. I would like to opportunity to correct this. Please email or call me at your convenience.
kfahey@sohogrand.com
212-965-3555
Best,
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

My husband and I stayed at SG this weekend. I would say that it is seeing some wear. The level of attention to detail is just not there. Our room was just ok. I hate when people harp on the size of rooms in NYC. Most hotel rooms are small in NYC. It's just the way it is, period. That being said, it was "clean" but not "Hotel clean". Our bathroom was not cleaned, at all, not once. They replaced the bath towels but that was it. The cleaning staff never gave us a bar of soap. Luckily I had one from the weekend before. The toiletries were never refreshed-not even once. The bathmat was taken and never replaced.

The service within the hotel was tolerable at best. The bartenders are awful. We had lunch at the bar when we arrived. We couldn't get him to even come over and check on us for 10 minutes. There are only 8-10 barstools with two other people there. It wasn't a good start. We decided to use the cocktail lounge from then on. In the lounge there was a really good cocktail waitress named Janae.

In the end, there seems to be an overwhelming bored looking/acting hipster staff. I would say that for those that will pay more to enjoy a nice hotel...you may be disappointed. Beautiful property, great location, service...not so much.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
GrandAmbassador, Guest Relations Manager at Soho Grand Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear vinmelissa,
I am very disappointed to read this review. We take great pride in our service and our guests feedback. When we fall short of your expectations; we have fallen short of our own. Please contact me so I may find a way to rebuild your faith in our brand. I can be reached via phone 212-965-3555 or email kfahey@sohogrand.com
I look forward to hearing from you.
Kindly,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

The Soho Grand has the potential to be the best hotel in Lower Manhattan, but sadly lack of investment in the rooms means it falls considerably short of that. This is a trendy hotel that takes itself pretty seriously, and the grand lobby area is indeed a cool place to hang out for drinks. The food is also uniformly excellent. The rooms, however, are tiny, dusty, dark & tired. You just can't charge the price the Soho Grand does for accommodation like this. So my counsel to the hotel management is it's time to refurbish the place.

Stayed April 2014
GrandAmbassador, Guest Relations Manager at Soho Grand Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear ernestoteles,
I am very sorry ot hear that your room fell short of your expectations. I would like to personally apologize. I would like to go over some of the areas of yorur room that need attention and see if I may find a way to rebuild your faith in our brand.
We value your feedback and hope we have the chance to discuss this further. kfahey@sohogrand.com
Warmly,
delhi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

I can't begin this article without the disclaimer that if they hadn't had a room I may not have stayed in Soho. I could not stay at the hotel I was booked in for personal reasons and therefore had to shop around the neighborhood and fell into the Soho Grand. The front office staff was wonderful and showed me 3 rooms before I chose the one we took. So on a scale of helpfulness they get 10.
The hotel itself is, as they love to say in NY, quintessentially New York and which is why it is not a a Soho boutique hotel.
The Soho Grand is a place that gives you apartments for film stars or elegant but small rooms for the rest with the kind of American functionalities you expect….a great coffee machine and an ice machine on every floor. The downside is paper cups or if you prefer order from room service.
Our room had large and enormously comfortable bed, a small desk, chest of drawers and a cupboard. The problem was the furniture took most of the space so we either sat on the bed or at the desk. They had a strange lounge chair but it was inconveniently placed. Some renovation seems to have begun and it needs a bit of change especially the ac system.
The first floor ( next to reception) has a lovely lounge with a dj, may have to wait to get place around 5pm and a bar.
And for animal lovers it has, I think, the only dog garden!
And finally, it has location. It is Soho and a place from where you can enjoy Soho, which is why we always come to Soho.

Room Tip: They have some lovely corner rooms….were bit more than we could afford but we came as walk ins and a...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear baj,
We appreciate your taking time to post your review. Thank you so much for your detailed descriptions. The more information our guests share the better it is for future travelers to make us their hotel choice. We do offer a variety of room types and they range in size. I can also mark your preferences for a proper coffee cup to be added to your room prior to arrival. I am sure I would be able to find a space that best suits your needs. Please email me directly so that I may assist you in your next reservation. kfahey@sohorgand.com
Looking forward to having you back with us.
Kelley

Been to Soho Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!