“I'm 55 years old!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #202 of 452 hotels in New York City
Calgary, Canada
“I'm 55 years old!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

The Hotel is cool and the service was amazing, in fact so amazing that I didn't notice it. I would be in the taxi after being ushered into it by an amazingly accommodating young footman. I'd be in the lounge and be eating something that is not on their menu because the waitress went out of the way to see if the chef would accommodate my request. If I seemed lost there was always someone there to ask me if I needed help. Service great! Location, even better...Soho is busy and fun, hip and cosmopolitan, great shopping, great little eats, and access to wonderful and new art and architectural establishments. I like to exercise and I found the gym to be tiny and very basic. Not a lot in terms of running paths and parks...not that I saw anyway. I did take the subway to Central Park...an adventure in itself! BUT...I'm 55 years old and I like quiet, so my upgrade to a corner suite overlooking Soho was a bit noisy for my liking. Thank god for sleeping pills. Be sure to ask for a quiet room if you're a light sleeper. AND I need light...the hotel was DARK! Almost post nuclear dark, most probably to accentuate the warehouse architectural ambiance it so wants to be identified by. The hotel room washrooms could use a lift and the rooms are tiny, but the beds were divine and as I could not really see the rest of the hotel I'm afraid I can't comment on the decor.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room...the street side is noisy.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
GrandAmbassador, Guest Relations Manager at Soho Grand Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear turnbsy,

We take great pride in reading that our “service was amazing”, thank you for that. I am happy to hear that your server was able to honor your special request. We try to go above and beyond whenever possible. The Soho neighborhood makes getting around town easy. Trains and cabs are easy to access so it’s convenient for anyone who wants to explore Manhattan yet prefers the energy downtown for their hotel stay.
Please let me know when you will be returning so I can add your preference for additional lighting on your reservation. kfahey@sohogrand.com

1,250 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Turkish first
Florida City, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

I stayed at the soho grand last year and decided to return however this time I wasn't to impressed with the overall service. I feel like its loosing its touch. The employees are friendly but not like they were in the past and the rooms can use a little TLC. With so many other hotels in the area I wish the soho grand luck. I'm sure they will get better

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
GrandAmbassador, Guest Relations Manager at Soho Grand Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear Nicole T,
I am sorry to hear you were not happy with your last stay. Please email me so we can discuss the issues in detail. We then can begin the process of rebuilding your faith in our brand. kfahey@sohogrand.com

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

We spent last weekend at the Soho Grand and found it the perfect location and price point for a last minute NYC weekend getaway. We booked our room on the internet while driving down saturday morning from Boston. The process was easy and our room was ready when we arrived at 2:00 pm. Parking is right across the street so getting rid of our car was seemless. Our room had a view of West Broadway. It was small but very comfortable. The bathroom was actaully larger and nicer than some we hav evisited recently. The lobby bar was very active on both Saturday evening and Sunday brunch. The only negative of the hotel was that it had a very small lobby. if you like to read the paper in the lobby and watch the world go by this is not ofr you. Everything else was great.

Cleveland, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

My wife and i recently stayed at the Soho Grand. We had a wonderful time. The staff are fantastic and very accommodating. The bars are wonderful. food and drink are all above average. The location of the hotel is it's biggest selling point. Within waling distance to many bars and restaurants. Concierge is very knowledgeable. the only negative this time is it didn't seem the thermostat was working properly. The room was too warm and I could not cool it down. Not a big deal though. This is not the first time we have stayed here. That should say it all!

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors are best
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

I live close to the city, but had to stay overnight in style for a work related project. The Soho grand was by far one of the most comfortable stays i've had. Great bed, great bar, with comparable prices, interesting decor, and a service minded staff thats friendly. Can't go wrong!

Room Tip: Choose a suite, if you can splurge. Its worth it ( mini bar)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mark S,
Amazing! Thank you for your review. We hope to have you back with us soon.
Basel, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

Upon arrival at the Soho Grand, you fall under the impression that you are about to witness something special. The lobby and bar area of the hotel are beautiful and give the feeling of stepping back to a bygone era.

Unfortunately this illusion drifts away when you enter your room. Apart from the good amount of space, the decor and fittings are distinctly average. The shower in particular was in desperate need of repair, with the head coming away from the wall.

The saving grace of the hotel is the friendliness of the staff and the great bar, which gave us two excellent breakfasts during our stay. However, given the price of the hotel, I believe there are likely better options to stay when visiting New York.

Dear Luke W,
Thank you for sharing your experience. I would like to try to find a way of rebuilding your faith in our brand. Please email me directly so that we can work on that together kfahey@sohogrand.com
Best regards,
Bloomington, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

This meticulously restored hotel in the middle of the Soho district is charming, and inviting: the staff is punctilious and friendly, the ambiance cozy and comfortable. But there is a neglect of details that first-class hotels do not miss. For example, the bathroom sink does not drain properly; the toilet seat does not sit properly on the toilet bowl and the seat cover bumps into your back whenever you shift your weight (I discovered the hinge was broken); robes are provided, but no slippers; the thermostat was not reliable: we set it at one temperature and the room temperature fell below it in short order. The breakfast was good, but not cheap; even then, there were mistakes: my wife ordered granola and yoghurt with a side order of fruit; she received yoghurt and two servings of fruit.

In our room, we were greeted with a plate of complimentary cupcakes, which was nice, but it was accompanied by a personal welcome letter to "Mr. Carter" (we were not "Mr. Carter").

Room Tip: Check out the room carefully before you settle in.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear so-sojourner,
I am so sorry about the myriad of issues you encountered during your stay. Please contact me directly so that we can discuss this and try to find a way to restore your confidence in our hotel kfahey@sohogrand.com
Kelley

Been to Soho Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!