“Good Hotwire deal!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #157 of 464 Hotels in New York City
San Francisco, California
“Good Hotwire deal!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

We booked a 4* downtown via Hotwire for $239. I could tell that we would get the SoHo Grand -- there are lots of websites that help you match the hotel to the neightborhood + amenities that Hotwire gives you. So, after checking out all the reviews on TripAdvisor, we decided to take a chance.

Here's the bottom line: it's a good deal for a NYC hotel if you book it at $240 a night, but if you pay rack rate ($500+), you'd expect a lot more.

The room is very small, but big enough to hold the bed, and dresser, and wardrobe (no closet, a travesty) -- but just barely. The bathroom was a decent size, but not a palace. We did have a queen bed with some awesome Frette linens, but the drapes and blackout blinds were in really sad shape (holey in places). The TV is an HD TV without cable or a HD converter for the over the air signal -- it's possibly the worst image quality I've ever seen in any TV of any kind. But you don't go to NY to watch tv (unless you're a guy)...

It has a really good location. It's right next to the 1, 2 stop on Canal St, and just a 5 minute walk to the other Canal St station (6, N, J , Q), so you can go uptown to either the East side or West side really easily. It's also right between Tribeca and SoHo, so you get to be uber chic, or uber uber chic.

Excellent noise insulation. We were on the 4th floor, facing Canal St and Tribeca, and we actually faced a club, but couldn't hear anything, which was amazing. The hotel is shaped like a T, so if you're at the base of the T, you might have some noise from the Holland Tunnel, which spits up a block away.

If you are a partier, they have a faux-club in the lobby, complete with bouncers. It makes getting to your room a bit hairy at night as there are these big guys in black between you and the elevator who don't really believe that you're staying there (if you look like a grad student, like me). If you're on the 3rd floor, your room might be REALLY noisy because the club and the 3rd floor share an atrium -- there's no wall between them to hold out the noise.

Which gets me to the staff. Cleaning staff = got the job done, beautifully. Front desk = efficient, professional, no unexpected charges. Concierge = I don't think they're from NYC because they didn't know some basic things about museums (I wanted to find the Cooper-Hewett Design Museum, which is part of the Smithsonian). The security thugs = for my own good, but really, do you need to be quite that rude?

Overall, a great deal for NYC on short notice.

• Liked — Quiet, but convienent location
  • Disliked — Threadbare curtains, rude security guards
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Turkish first
Cambridge, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

Let's start with a few positives before getting into why I recommend you stay elsewhere. We received exceptional service from the front desk, bell boys, front door greeters, etc. The location is fantastic and the lobby is pretty cool. However, that's where the good parts end.

The NYC boutique/modern hotel market is very competitive. Soho Grande was one of the first....and it's showing. The decor of the rooms is very passe and dated. There is no closet - it's a section of the room partitioned off with partial/temporary walls (as is the mini bar). The room reeked of smoke but wasn't marked as a smoking room. Overall, you felt like you were staying at a generic chain hotel instead of someplace unique.

The Soho Grande is quite expensive. You can do much better for your NYC dollars than this.

• Liked — location, service
  • Disliked — room decor, room quality
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
Basel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2008

I think that this hotel is too old to be posh, too dark to be nice and to expensive to be valuable. The area is fantastic of course for shopping, eating and watching people. But I don´t understand why people get crazy about this hotel. It´s just a hotel.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — room, food
  • Stayed July 2006
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Canton, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2008

Very nice property in the heart of Soho. the staff is very knowledgeable and friendly. We will definitely return.

• Liked — Staff and location
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Montreal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2008

A friend of mine who lives in New York recommended the Soho Grand for a long weekend stay.

In hindsight, he probably enjoyed the night life there and thought the hotel would be as good but never actually experienced the Hotel itself.

When I walked in I was impressed by the original architecture and decor. The space has a bit of a "Blade Runner" feel to it; decadent-hip-retro-modern if that makes any sense.

The check-in process was efficient, the service was nonchalant.

The shock came when I entered the room - it was tiny, the decor was out dated and the use of space was completely inefficient. There was not even a spot in the room where you could sit comfortably.

The in-room safe was not functional.

The bathroom was big enough, but the soap had a strong mint perfume which became overbearing after a while. The water pressure in the shower was good.

The next morning there was no newspaper by the door. We went down for breakfast and asked for the morning paper at the front desk and for some reason they made us feel like we were bothering them.

We had breakfast in the gorgeous living area by the lobby (the one you see on the web site). The food was good but the service was non-existent.

After breakfast, we stopped by the front desk again and mentioned that the safe wasn’t working. They said they would send an 'engineer' right away to fix it, but that i had to be in the room for "insurance reasons". After waiting in the room for 45 minutes and 2 calls later, no one had showed up so I gave up and decided to go out and start my day.

We only stayed 2 of the planned 4 nights and moved to the Four Seasons hotel.

We did enjoy the convenience of the Soho Grand's great location and we did enjoy the night life.

However my general impression is that the staff at the Soho Grand doesn’t receive adequate training and doesn't know how deal with clients and solve simple problems without attitude.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — the attitude
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2008

Great hotel - my husband and I were unexpectedly in NYC for 4th of July weekend which is an "off" weekend for the city, but we had a great time.
My flight was early and even though I arrived 3 hours before standard check-in time, the front desk let me in early - very accommodating. The room was really comfortable. Our floor's coffee/hot chocolate dispenser was just next door to our room which was very convenient. The bar was efficient - loved the couches in the lounge.
I had some work to finish up the first afternoon, so went to the yard - it was great. The server was extremely helpful, not only with food, but he also brought me power for my laptop after a few hours. I basically had the place all to my self for the afternoon - although it filled up quickly after 4:00, when they open it up to the public.
I agree with an earlier review - the guy out front each night was the best - he was totally helpful with all sorts of information and extremely friendly.
This is in a great location - lots of fun shopping all around and v. convenient to subway.

• Liked — Location and the Yard
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2008

After reading the review from "Soho Not So Grand" I thought the guy that wrote it must have stayed with us. We had much the same expereince. The hotel overall is not guest friendly, is statring to look dated, the rooms are very small and the attitude - even for a so-called "hip property" is unaccepable, through the roof.

In my opinion, hip is great if it can be backed up with across-the-board service and quality accomodations. The Soho Grand may have been all that a few years ago, but now it's just all flat.

Just a few of our disapointments with the hotel on our recent stay.

When we booked our room, I specifically told the reservationist that we were bringing our daughter down to the hotel to see the July 4th fireworks. Naturally my first concern was that we'd have a high floor room with a view toward the fireworks. No problem, assured the reservationist. There was a problem. Upon checking into the hotel they only had a higher floor room on the opposite corner of the hotel facing away from the fireworks. Note: After scoping out the surrounding buildings I determined it was highly unlikely any room would have given a view of the Macy's fireworks. By the way, when we checked in and explained this to the front desk clerk he told us we'd be able to see them since they were shot off from around Macys! I didn't have the time or energy at this point to explain that the fireworks are shot off from the East River. This was the second desk clerk to help us, and at least he made an effort. The first one didn't know anything about anything, but she made sure to give free champagne to three people who walked up to the desk while we wre attemptiong to check-in. I eventually asked a third desk clerk if we too, paying customers, might actually be granted the bounty of their kindness with a glass. She instructed clueless clerk # 1 to pour us some. So anyway, that first clerk upon being told of the fireworks-view room didn't even seem to realize it was the Fourth of July. Then she said, rather disinterestedly, that she had no idea if the room had any view. I inquired further if I might have a look at the room, and she said they couldn't allow that since housekeeping was still cleaning. Okay. Then she tells me I should tallk to the concierge. Now, I go from attitude to super attitude. She hands me the phone and the concierge is on the other end. I explain that the front desk connected me to her (though I'm not sure why) and that we were told our room would have view of the fireworks. The concierge is obviosuly mad that the front desk would lay this on her, and I have to somewhat agree (the front desk should know their own rooms), but it didn't call for Super Attitude. Her cocky reponse was "Are you kidding?" No I wasn't. I should have cut my losses right there and gone to another hotel, but I had my wife and baby and we were all getting tired. An hour later we checked in to our closet and had a nice view on the wrong side of the hotel. The service throughout the stay was cold, or at the least aloof. And it's not aNew York thing, I lived there for years and have stayed in numerous hotels across the city. This place is just run bad and the physical look of the hotels just shows that they don't care anymore. as oftentimes happens when a new hotel opens (the Tribeca Grand) the better staff make abeline to the newer property. I don't know if that's what's happened here, but I threw away $500 for arotten stay. We ended up trudging downtown in the rain and saw about fifteen minutes of the fireworks.

One major exception: Did these guys even work for the same hotel? The guys (part of the bell staff) out front and the man who delivered our bags to the room were top-notch, friendly and professional. Now if we could just take them to a better hotel!

• Liked — checking out
  • Disliked — checking in
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family