“Photo copy of credit card???” 1 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Spring Offer - Save 10%
Ranked #219 of 446 hotels in New York City
Austin, Texas
“Photo copy of credit card???”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

First of all I do like the hotel, love the location and from my experience the staff members were all incredible. If it weren't for the credit card issue I would rate it a 4 or 5.

My issue is that they wanted to photo copy my credit card upon check in. This is an extremely dated practice that opens up their customers to the risk of having those details stolen. The company I work for has nothing to do with hotels, but we eliminated the physical capture of credit card details years ago after a series of audits highlighted it as a risk to our company and risk to our customers.

While they say that the details are kept safe, the reality is that staff members working behind the desk can easily access card details and match with home addresses, email addresses, telephone numbers, etc. I'm not suggesting that any of their staff would do this but there are cases where fraudsters pursue specific jobs that give them easy access to information like this. This hotel would be a dream job for them. They might look like a star employee on the surface and discretely collecting and selling customer data on the side. Again, I don't want to imply that they have an issue with this or that any of their staff are involved in this but you build your practices and policies around mitigating this type of risk, not waiting until you have a problem and then addressing it.

I'm on the road at least 150 nights a year and stay in a lot of hotels and I honestly cannot remember the last time a hotel took a physical imprint or photo copy of my card. Maybe it's because more times than not I stay in large hotel chains that addressed this risk years ago.

My recommendation is that they address this immediately as it opens them up to liability and exposes their customers to unnecessary risk for credit card fraud and identity theft.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
GrandAmbassador, Guest Relations Manager at Soho Grand Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear frequenttraveler115,
Thank you for your taking time out for your review and to express your concerns. We are currently working on a new check in process so this will no longer be of issue. Please let me know when you will be returning so that I can be your point person during your stay. kfahey@sohogrand.com
Best,

1,145 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Turkish first
North East of England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Didn't realise it was fashion week therefore it was a tad too busy for my liking but overall we had a lovely stay. The staff were friendly and professional. Room was quite spacious and very clean. Food was pricey but nevertheless really tasty and the service was first class.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear karenP43,
Thank you so much for your lovely review. We look forward to your return.
Best,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

second time we stayed there in last 18 months.
EXCELLENT LOCATION;
friendly & helpful staff
beautiful lobby and sitting area;
rooms smartly decorated & excellent use of space.
this yr w/ a corner view, it was more expansive; however, last yr we had a perfect view of an Einstein painting going up on a building that is no longer there.

art galleries, specialty stores, restaurants, coffee shops, and etc....

the energy in downtown manhattan is ethereal...

there's no place like home
there's no place like home..."

and than, just like that, my magic NYC weekend ends & I'm back home

looking forward to my next stay.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear marekm108,
Thank you so much for this review. We aim to be your ‘home away from home’ and we are thrilled to hear we hit the mark.
Please let me know when you will be returning. kfahey@sohogrand.com
Regards,
Salt Lake City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Everything about the hotel was wonderful. Any hotel can be beautifullly appointed and very nice physically but the people that work here are what makes it a memorable and wonderful experience. I would HIGHLY recommend it. GREAT location

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

when I go to NY always stay at the Soho Grand since 1996, elegant, good service a perfect mix of trendy and classic. The location is perfect to fell the soho, nolita and tribeca. The service is very consistent after all its what you looking for.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear NinjaTropical,,
Thank you very much for this review. We always love to hear from our repeat guests and this is exactly why!
We look forward to your return.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

second time we stayed there in last 18 months.
EXCELLENT LOCATION;
friendly & helpful staff
beautiful lobby and sitting area;
rooms smartly decorated & excellent use of space.

art galleries, specialty stores, restaurants, coffee shops, and etc....

the energy in downtown manhattan is ethereal...

there's no place like home
there's no place like home..."

and than, just like that, my magic NYC weekend ends & I'm back home

looking forward to my next stay.

• Stayed September 2013
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I've stayed at the Soho Grand 3-times now during the past year for work and I've enjoyed myself more and more during each stay. The location is perfect, just a short walk to the subway. The neighborhood has so many choices for food and allows one to feel like your in a neighborhood rather than staying uptown. Two weeks ago I arranged for my wife to take a long wknd trip to NY for shopping and the staff at the Soho made her stay so enjoyable. We have 3-kids at home under the age of 5 so she needed a long weekend to reenergize herself. The staff had an arrangement of beautiful flowers waiting for her along with a bowl of fruit. I agree that the rooms are small but I'm not in NY to stay in my room, plus despite being small the rooms are always spotless and are designed very well. I'm heading back to NY next week and have already booked my room at the Soho!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
GrandAmbassador, Guest Relations Manager at Soho Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Jeff S,
Thank you so much for your review. We are thrilled to hear that you got to explore and enjoy our neighborhood. We look forward to your return. Please email me so I can make time to meet you when you arrive during your next stay. kfahey@sohogrand.com
Best, Kelley

Been to Soho Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!