“Great Location & Excellent Staff” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Spring Offer - Save 10%
Ranked #219 of 446 hotels in New York City
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Great Location & Excellent Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I've stayed at the Soho Grand 3-times now during the past year for work and I've enjoyed myself more and more during each stay. The location is perfect, just a short walk to the subway. The neighborhood has so many choices for food and allows one to feel like your in a neighborhood rather than staying uptown. Two weeks ago I arranged for my wife to take a long wknd trip to NY for shopping and the staff at the Soho made her stay so enjoyable. We have 3-kids at home under the age of 5 so she needed a long weekend to reenergize herself. The staff had an arrangement of beautiful flowers waiting for her along with a bowl of fruit. I agree that the rooms are small but I'm not in NY to stay in my room, plus despite being small the rooms are always spotless and are designed very well. I'm heading back to NY next week and have already booked my room at the Soho!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
GrandAmbassador, Guest Relations Manager at Soho Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Jeff S,
Thank you so much for your review. We are thrilled to hear that you got to explore and enjoy our neighborhood. We look forward to your return. Please email me so I can make time to meet you when you arrive during your next stay. kfahey@sohogrand.com
Best, Kelley

1,145 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Just returned from a 2 night's stay during a long weekend that included a trip upstate for a wedding and then a few days for US Open in NYC. Chose the Grand and we were very pleased with the choice.

Easy on/off the metro - so can be used to not only get in from airport/to airport - but also as a jumping off place to explore the city. Location allows for easy access [walking] to Chinatown, Little Italy and all over SoHo. Great shopping, food, drinks - all within VERY easy walking distance. Everything from expensive/nice meals to quick pick up food is literally right outside the door of the Grand. LOVED having so many options to everything right there. Hotel even offers bikes for guest use to explore.

Really pleased with our room. Had a beautiful view of new World Trade buildings going up and downtown. Room large enough for couple with very comfortable bed and nice furnishings. Bathroom was plenty large and stocked with the most awesome soap slices. We've already ordered some to be delivered for home use.

While it's true the hotel is VERY dark - this is on trend with all US hotels in the boutique category. I've become so accustomed to it - it's standard now. Other drawback is bar service. We went for dinner one night after having gotten in late. We were seated in the true bar area - but at a table. Service was super slow and our poor server just honestly couldn't be bothered. I think the bartender prompted her that we'd been waiting for over 20 minutes for her to even approach. Noticing that my thought was "well, you're not busy either - you could have walked the 10 feet out from behind the bar to atleast take a drink order." Food was awesome though when it arrived [was quick] and NOT expensive. Loved the chicken sandwich and sweet pea soup. Decent overall bar food selection. Also looked like they had good breakfast choices.

For breakfast we walked about 5 blocks up Thompson to Spring and visted the Domininque Ansel Bakery to try a "cronut." Having seen these delights featured on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon and the Today Show - we wanted to see what the fuss was about. SUPER delicious and worth the quick walk on a beautiful morning. TIP - get there early as lines are long and they sell out. They open at 8 AM - sell 2 to a customer at $5 each.

Overall would stay at the Grand again. LOVED the location and that's a SUPER big plus when in NYC.

Room Tip: Higher room facing the World Trade area. If you get a lower room on this side I'm afraid you'...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Aswee,
Thank you for taking the time to detail your experience. So glad to hear you were comfortable in your room and had a great view of downtown Manhattan . We will address the service issue. We appreciate that you did not allow that to change your overall experience and we look forward to having you back.
Best regards,
Hamilton, Bermuda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I have been staying at the Soho Grand since its opening every time we visit New York city. My husband is an architect and appreciate the understated homage to the history of Soho. There is nothing over the top or opulent, but it is one of the few boutique hotels in New York that is well executed and has and will age well compared to the other boutique hotels. Do not expect large rooms (although it is more spacious than 60 Thompson for instance). It does not have the luxury linens and towels like you find at the Jumeirah, Four Seasons, or the Windsor Arms hotel in Toronto, but I wonder if this again done in purpose to give it a rough hedge. Also, you have to like the Soho/Tribeca neighborhood to appreciate the hotel. We like the area because everything is there but on a smaller scale which makes it more manageable for shopping, eating out etc. We don't do shows or visits tourist attractions and this fits our needs.

The price can be steep and we make our travel dates flexible to coincide when the rates are reasonable. In the end they are in the business of making a profit but as customers we also have a price range that we reserve for low key trips and differentiate for special occasions. Would I pay over $600 for a grand corner king, no since it does not fall under my budget for which such prices are reserved for instance for Las Ventanas in Cabo.

The reason we like the Soho so much is first of all it is very clean, reliable and consistent. The staff is friendly and when I encounter a problem, I just let them know and they are usually more than considerate. If I don’t like a room or a floor, I ask for a change, and unless they are fully booked, I am normally accommodated. The atmosphere is relaxed and one can easily feel home away from home. It is not perfect but we feel it is a little gem.
Have we had bad experiences? Of course, for instance once, my husband and I were dressed to the nines and asked the concierge to recommend a good French restaurant and she mentioned Felix next door. We have nothing against Felix but it is more a bistro you go meet for a drink with loud friends, not for excellent French cuisine for a dinner a deux. So she could have recommended Bouley or La Grenouille, but perhaps her youth and inexperience got in the way.

I believe any reviewers (myself included) on such review website can have unrealistic expectations or can lose sense of proportion and forget that simple manners and not acting that people are there to provide a service but not to serve you. One can get good service by being fair to the circumstances.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear kiddadac,
What a wonderful review, thank you for taking the time. Your insight and your support. We value our repeat guests and are thrilled to know we have found one in you. Please email directly so I have your contact and we can possible meet during one of your next stays, kfahey@sohogrand.com.
Warmly,
Short Hills, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I recently stayed at the Soho Grand as a repeat customer. I checked out at noon and at 2 pm realized that I had left my hanging clothes in the closet. I immediately called and after talking to 2 security people was told "sorry we didn't find any clothes". No one had checked in my room by that time. I asked to speak to the manager and was told no, I only needed to speak with security. I followed up a few more times via phone and email and got no response. I even sent a picture of me in the clothes taken in the lobby to security! I will NEVER return to this hotel. The least they could have done is offer me a night. Bad service.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Deborah C,
I am very sorry to hear about this. I would like the opportunity to redeem you trust in us; unfortunately, I cannot look into the situation without your name and the date of stay so please email me directly kfahey@sohogand.com so that we can rectify this immediately.
Short Hills, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I recently stayed at the Soho Grand for the 2nd time. I checked out at noon and at 2 pm realized that i had left my hanging clothes in the closet. When I called to inquire, security told me that there were no clothes. Obviously, no one had checked into that room since my checkout. I have gone back and forth with security and they are no help whatsoever. I will NOT return to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great location, nice and clean, friendly staff, good wi-fi. My only real gripe was the lack of choice and price of the beers/wines in the main bar and their garden bar but that was easily rectified bu going somewhere else :)
The area is great but I might look around for something a little less expensive the next time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Charlieg,
Thank you for your comments. We have a curated selection of natural beer and wine, sourced from local vendors. We apologize that we didn’t offer you a comparable alternative to your first preference. I’d to take this opportunity to invite you back and we will ensure your expectations are met and exceeded. Please reach out when you are next returning to NYC kfahey@sohogrand.com.
Warmly,
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Its located in a trendy area of NYC and even has its own dog park next door for guests. I can see what they were attempting with the retro and distressed decor, low lighting and 50s style fittings. Unfortunately this jars badly with the prices being asked for services that can be got cheaper elsewhere. The handsome view of the Freedom tower being offset by the constant roar of traffic and construction that is currently taking place across the road. Small room size at this price.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
GrandAmbassador, Guest Relations Manager at Soho Grand Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear daytripper040,
Thank you for your review. There is always construction around this great city as we are always putting up or taking down buildings and or maintaining streets and our great bridges. However inconvenient the sounds may be at times. It is what keeps NYC vibrant and fresh. That said, we do hope you enjoyed peace and quiet when you desired it. Please contact me directly when you are next returning so I can make your reservation for you kfahey@sohogrand.com
Best,
Kelley

Been to Soho Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!