“Loved the location, the view and the surroudning neighborhoods” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Summer Offer - 20% Off
Ranked #204 of 451 hotels in New York City
Atlanta, Georgia
“Loved the location, the view and the surroudning neighborhoods”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Just returned from a 2 night's stay during a long weekend that included a trip upstate for a wedding and then a few days for US Open in NYC. Chose the Grand and we were very pleased with the choice.

Easy on/off the metro - so can be used to not only get in from airport/to airport - but also as a jumping off place to explore the city. Location allows for easy access [walking] to Chinatown, Little Italy and all over SoHo. Great shopping, food, drinks - all within VERY easy walking distance. Everything from expensive/nice meals to quick pick up food is literally right outside the door of the Grand. LOVED having so many options to everything right there. Hotel even offers bikes for guest use to explore.

Really pleased with our room. Had a beautiful view of new World Trade buildings going up and downtown. Room large enough for couple with very comfortable bed and nice furnishings. Bathroom was plenty large and stocked with the most awesome soap slices. We've already ordered some to be delivered for home use.

While it's true the hotel is VERY dark - this is on trend with all US hotels in the boutique category. I've become so accustomed to it - it's standard now. Other drawback is bar service. We went for dinner one night after having gotten in late. We were seated in the true bar area - but at a table. Service was super slow and our poor server just honestly couldn't be bothered. I think the bartender prompted her that we'd been waiting for over 20 minutes for her to even approach. Noticing that my thought was "well, you're not busy either - you could have walked the 10 feet out from behind the bar to atleast take a drink order." Food was awesome though when it arrived [was quick] and NOT expensive. Loved the chicken sandwich and sweet pea soup. Decent overall bar food selection. Also looked like they had good breakfast choices.

For breakfast we walked about 5 blocks up Thompson to Spring and visted the Domininque Ansel Bakery to try a "cronut." Having seen these delights featured on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon and the Today Show - we wanted to see what the fuss was about. SUPER delicious and worth the quick walk on a beautiful morning. TIP - get there early as lines are long and they sell out. They open at 8 AM - sell 2 to a customer at $5 each.

Overall would stay at the Grand again. LOVED the location and that's a SUPER big plus when in NYC.

Room Tip: Higher room facing the World Trade area. If you get a lower room on this side I'm afraid you'...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
GrandAmbassador, Guest Relations Manager at Soho Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Aswee,
Thank you for taking the time to detail your experience. So glad to hear you were comfortable in your room and had a great view of downtown Manhattan . We will address the service issue. We appreciate that you did not allow that to change your overall experience and we look forward to having you back.
Best regards,

1,222 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Turkish first
Hamilton, Bermuda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I have been staying at the Soho Grand since its opening every time we visit New York city. My husband is an architect and appreciate the understated homage to the history of Soho. There is nothing over the top or opulent, but it is one of the few boutique hotels in New York that is well executed and has and will age well compared to the other boutique hotels. Do not expect large rooms (although it is more spacious than 60 Thompson for instance). It does not have the luxury linens and towels like you find at the Jumeirah, Four Seasons, or the Windsor Arms hotel in Toronto, but I wonder if this again done in purpose to give it a rough hedge. Also, you have to like the Soho/Tribeca neighborhood to appreciate the hotel. We like the area because everything is there but on a smaller scale which makes it more manageable for shopping, eating out etc. We don't do shows or visits tourist attractions and this fits our needs.

The price can be steep and we make our travel dates flexible to coincide when the rates are reasonable. In the end they are in the business of making a profit but as customers we also have a price range that we reserve for low key trips and differentiate for special occasions. Would I pay over $600 for a grand corner king, no since it does not fall under my budget for which such prices are reserved for instance for Las Ventanas in Cabo.

The reason we like the Soho so much is first of all it is very clean, reliable and consistent. The staff is friendly and when I encounter a problem, I just let them know and they are usually more than considerate. If I don’t like a room or a floor, I ask for a change, and unless they are fully booked, I am normally accommodated. The atmosphere is relaxed and one can easily feel home away from home. It is not perfect but we feel it is a little gem.
Have we had bad experiences? Of course, for instance once, my husband and I were dressed to the nines and asked the concierge to recommend a good French restaurant and she mentioned Felix next door. We have nothing against Felix but it is more a bistro you go meet for a drink with loud friends, not for excellent French cuisine for a dinner a deux. So she could have recommended Bouley or La Grenouille, but perhaps her youth and inexperience got in the way.

I believe any reviewers (myself included) on such review website can have unrealistic expectations or can lose sense of proportion and forget that simple manners and not acting that people are there to provide a service but not to serve you. One can get good service by being fair to the circumstances.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear kiddadac,
What a wonderful review, thank you for taking the time. Your insight and your support. We value our repeat guests and are thrilled to know we have found one in you. Please email directly so I have your contact and we can possible meet during one of your next stays, kfahey@sohogrand.com.
Warmly,
Short Hills, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I recently stayed at the Soho Grand as a repeat customer. I checked out at noon and at 2 pm realized that I had left my hanging clothes in the closet. I immediately called and after talking to 2 security people was told "sorry we didn't find any clothes". No one had checked in my room by that time. I asked to speak to the manager and was told no, I only needed to speak with security. I followed up a few more times via phone and email and got no response. I even sent a picture of me in the clothes taken in the lobby to security! I will NEVER return to this hotel. The least they could have done is offer me a night. Bad service.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Deborah C,
I am very sorry to hear about this. I would like the opportunity to redeem you trust in us; unfortunately, I cannot look into the situation without your name and the date of stay so please email me directly kfahey@sohogand.com so that we can rectify this immediately.
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great location, nice and clean, friendly staff, good wi-fi. My only real gripe was the lack of choice and price of the beers/wines in the main bar and their garden bar but that was easily rectified bu going somewhere else :)
The area is great but I might look around for something a little less expensive the next time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Charlieg,
Thank you for your comments. We have a curated selection of natural beer and wine, sourced from local vendors. We apologize that we didn’t offer you a comparable alternative to your first preference. I’d to take this opportunity to invite you back and we will ensure your expectations are met and exceeded. Please reach out when you are next returning to NYC kfahey@sohogrand.com.
Warmly,
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Its located in a trendy area of NYC and even has its own dog park next door for guests. I can see what they were attempting with the retro and distressed decor, low lighting and 50s style fittings. Unfortunately this jars badly with the prices being asked for services that can be got cheaper elsewhere. The handsome view of the Freedom tower being offset by the constant roar of traffic and construction that is currently taking place across the road. Small room size at this price.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
GrandAmbassador, Guest Relations Manager at Soho Grand Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear daytripper040,
Thank you for your review. There is always construction around this great city as we are always putting up or taking down buildings and or maintaining streets and our great bridges. However inconvenient the sounds may be at times. It is what keeps NYC vibrant and fresh. That said, we do hope you enjoyed peace and quiet when you desired it. Please contact me directly when you are next returning so I can make your reservation for you kfahey@sohogrand.com
Best,
Buffalo Grove
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

This hotel is right by Canal Street with all of its quirky shopping, and it was very nice. Rooms were small, but hey, it's New York. My only criticism was the bath and shower were very small. Good bar area, but no TV, so don't count on watching your favorite sport while your sipping your drink.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Rod G,
Thank you for taking time to write a review. We do offer a variety of room options where in some of the bathrooms are larger. Please let us know your preferences when making your next reservation and we will find the room that best suits your needs.
We hope you will be back soon.
Best,
Haddington, Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here last week, wish i hadn't bothered. Very very expensive, both for accommodation, drinks and food. The outside street bar that is part of the hotel had no bacardi, no soco, no miller lite, i gave up in the end and left, but that was nothing compared to the bugs in our room, ee woke up one morning, i had four or five bites but my husband had 12, the hotel did move our room, but it spoilt the last two days of our trip! Dogs are allowed to stay in the hotel and relieve themselves outside the main reception! Hotel very dark and when you get enough light you see that the tables are dirty. Overpriced. Staff friendly enough.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Soho Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!