“Not What It's Cracked Up To Be” 2 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Grand Weekender
Ranked #167 of 455 Hotels in New York City
Naperville, Illinois
“Not What It's Cracked Up To Be”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We selected the SoHo Grand because of it's rating as an upscale hotel. We were very disappointed. The hotel staff could not have been nicer. They were the one bright spot. The facility leaves a whole lot be desired. It's tired and our experience, prone to things breaking down. We were moved to another room due to a strange smell and the new room had issues with a number of different things (tv, air conditioning, telephone service). Clearly a real let down.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
GrandAmbassador, Guest Relations Manager at Soho Grand Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear 368frankm ,
I would like to discuss your stay further. Would you please email me directly at kfahey@sohogrand.com at your earliest convenience, I would truly appreciate the opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel.
Kelley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Turkish first
Oakland, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I stayed at the Soho Grand for 5 days during a recent business trip to NY. The room was generally pleasant. I would have preferred a desk to a round table but otherwise it was well appointed. But there were a few disappointments that I hadn't anticipated. The lobby is pleasant and buzzing, but the hallways on the room floors were drab, dimly lit and uninviting. So artwork would have helped. The bathtub in my room was dirty, with many footprints that could have been removed with some cleaner. I called housekeeping after my first night and asked that it be cleaned, but it never happened. There is no coffee maker in the room, and the one in the ice room was out of order on my last day. I called to have it fixed, but that didn't occur before I left. Instead, I tried to call for room service (during the room service opening hours) but after repeated tries, no one answered. The safe in the room was broken and wouldn't lock, but it didn't matter since it was so small it couldn't lock up my under-sized laptop. None of these items was fatal, but it was not what I expected.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Fleasky,
Thank you for taking the time out to write this review. Please contact me directly so we can address your concerns and allow me the opportunity to rebuild your confidence in our hotel. kfahey@sohogrand.com
Waimea, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

SoHo Grand Hotel is perfectly situated in Lower Manhattan within walking distance to several cool shops, bars and restauants. The rooms are very large by Manhattan standards and the staff is excellent. I have heard that there is a lot of noise from the streets that keeps guests at this hotel awake at night, but I honestly thought it was pretty quiet compared other NYC hotels I've stayed at. This is a classy joint with a lot going for it. Its not the cheapest place to stay, but it won't break the bank either. I highly recommend this place.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

The staff at the Soho Grand has in my opinion always been this property's greatest asset - they are always friendly, service-minded and greeting guests with a smile. It is slightly unfortunate that the rooms are not quite up to the same standard, with fittings and furniture showing overall wear and tear.

The location is great however and very close to all the shops and amenities of Soho and surrounding areas.

Again, I could not commend the staff enough for the forthcoming attitude but the hotel property itself and in particular the guest rooms is certainly in need of a makeover.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mantelstone,
Thank you for taking time out to write your review. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to your return.
Wilmington, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Stayed here 1 night for work. Hotel itself is very nice. Has a foreign look and feel with a NY swagger. Staff was very pleasant and helpful. Had a nice stay overall. Comfy bed, nice showers, clean. Not much to say on this one. 1 block off Canal St, so very convenient to stores and shops.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the restaurant Gilligan's. They're open pretty late and play music...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear T I,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. When you are next returning contact me directly so I can assist you with your reservation kfahey@sohogrand.com
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

The Grand just has a wonderful friendly atmosphere: every single member of staff we encountered were friendly and efficient, striking exactly the right balance between the formal and the familiar. Breakfast was good, bar is too. Gilligan's is a great place for a couple of cold ones post-shopping, pre-dinner. Whilst the room wasn't jaw-dropping and the bathroom a little tired, the bed was very comfortable and road and AC noise complained of by some other reviewers not an issue - I slept like a baby every night. Location is A1.

Dear sandy_abstentia,
Thank you for your review. We love that you felt a balance between “formal and familiar” and we hope that you will join us again soon.
We look forward to having you back.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

It is a charming place, old style, room can be small but well decorated, it is also very clean and well situated close to Canal Street Subway Station.
We were at the 11th floor but we could hear the street clearly, that can be annoying at night.

I really liked the place and my stay there but I have to say that there is something a bit "posh" about it, a little bit too serious... Staff is helpful but not very friendly.
People seemed to me a little bit judging, condescending. It is just a feeling.
The bar is beautiful, there is some salons that are also very beautiful, you should definitely explore and visit the place by yourself because no one will show it to you. And there are some very charming hidden spots to be discovered.

I don't regret my entire time in this hotel, it is still a good place but next time in New York, I will try another one !

Room Tip: Maybe rooms that are not facing the street are quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear julilali,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I apologize for any discomfort or negative feeling you experience during your time with us. I would appreciate the opportunity to restore your confidence in our hotel. Please email me directly at your earliest convenience kfahey@sohogrand.com

Warmly,
Kelley

Been to Soho Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!