“Excellent location, and very nice attentive staff.” 4 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   310 West Broadway, New York City, NY 10013 (SoHo)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #143 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Orlando, FL
“Excellent location, and very nice attentive staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We enjoyed the location of our hotel, much more that staying in Times Square. The shoppingthere was perfect, and the transportation needs were easily met: subway, taxi's whenever you needed them wherever you were going. We had stayed on Wall Street before and the transportation was unreliable, so we were a little worried, but it was perfect. There was a shopping map the Concierge gave us showing every little nook and cranny shop in the entire area, making it really fun and easy to just set out walking and to come up with a plan of where to go next .

There were many coffee shops and small restaurants to stop off at on your way in our out of the hotel. Also it was not a packed pedestrian street, so you could walk at your own pace, so much different than staying in Times Square.

The bed was perfect, bathroom, typically small and clean. There was a coffee machine on every floor with good coffee so the mornings could start leisurely. The AC had a little to be desired, but it was all in all a great hotel.

Room Tip: We were on the 12th floor and did not hear a thing. It was a great night's sleep.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
GrandAmbassador, Guest Relations Manager at Soho Grand Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear OrlandoTraveler11,
Thank you so much for your kind review. We love hearing about someone’s all around great stay so this made our day.
We look forward to welcoming you back.
Kelley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Turkish first
Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I was not at all impressed by this hotel. $269 per night for a room which was less than it's deluxe billing, a TV that was hard to get working and everything was so DARK!!! The hotel has a great location but that's really all I can say is going for it. The price of rooms is outrageous for what you get - there's not even tea and coffee making facilities in the room for goodness sakes. This is supposed to be a 4.5 star hotel! Everywhere in the hotel - the lobby in particular is so dark that you need to go outside into the street to be able to read a newspaper. So dark, you can't tell if the place is clean and judging by the beast that crawled across the bathroom floor I'd say it could do with a severe upgrade. The (antique) air conditioning unit in my room was so loud I was wakened up every time it came on and there was no easy way to switch it off. The bar is overpriced - $17 (plus tip) for a regular glass of wine, $8 (plus tip) for a beer.

On the plus side, the staff were great.

I'm planning another trip to NY in 2014 but this hotel will definitely NOT be on my list. There are cheaper and BETTER hotels to choose from. I made a big mistake with this one.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Man_From_Geneva,
I would love to discuss your stay with you further and see if we can’t find a way to get you to return and have a different experience on your next visit. Please email me at kfahey@sohogrand.com
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Dear Barbara,

I just wanted to write to tell you what a fantastic job your staff did during my recent stay at your hotel.

From start to finish, they made our trip superb and were a wonderful advertisement for your establishment.

At this point, I have to single out two people in particular, Ben and Harold. Ben checked us in to the hotel and then went above and beyond the call of duty in helping me set up my proposal to my girlfriend (who is now my fiancée!). He was absolutely charming, superbly efficient and just did everything with the maximum of class and the minimum of fuss. First impressions count in any business and what a first impression he made. I was blown away by the courteous and thoughtful way he dealt with everything. I suggest that you might have a future hotel manager on your hands there…

Which brings me neatly on to Harold. At incredibly short notice and in a style and class of his own, Harold arranged the most brilliant room in which I asked my girlfriend to marry me. He may just be the reason that she said yes! He oozed professionalism and made us both feel like a million dollars. A really lovely guy and someone you should feel proud to have as part of your workforce. Amazing.

Everyone else at the hotel was phenomenal. From the beaming smiles of your reception staff, where Tierney was an absolute joy to check-out with, to the affable doormen and lobby staff, the whole team made us feel like we stayed in a home from home.

These things come from the top Barbara, so you are doing a tremendous job in running the hotel and I will recommend it to anyone.

Thanks again for everything and please pass on my personal thanks to Ben and Harold who have earned themselves a line or two in my wedding speech! They are a credit to you.

Best wishes,

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Alicia F,
Thank you so very much for your letter and your review. We can’t say how much your feedback has meant to the entire team. We shared your letter and everyone took great pride in knowing they are doing exactly what we all aim to do… Which is to make out guests feel at home and hope they look forward to returning. You made our day.
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Only stayed a couple of nights but I would definitely recommend this as a good choice of hotel for a short stay.

Upon entry you need to go up one floor to the reception (ground floor is the concierge only)

The hotel is pretty dark, a little kitsch and I wasn't overly keen on the dim lighting everywhere - its better at night than during the day

Check in was very friendly and efficient and got me to my room quickly.

The room itself was pretty standard - reasonable bathroom, good sized room with a table to work at and a good sized bed. Plenty of power sockets near the desk (although I had to unplug things by the bed to charge my phone)
My only criticism was the level of noise from the air conditioner was more than I would have liked. It did a great job of keeping the room cool in the humid New York summer though!

Well stocked minibar/fridge - charges are $5.44 per item if I recall correctly

Breakfast could be good - the English breakfast was very tasty but the Eggs Norwegian (benedict but with smoked salmon) were only ok, with the muffin being a little burnt.

I would stay again - very happy with this as it was an alternative to the usual hotel I stay at.

Cost was around $500 per night.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Krone_9,
Thank you for your review. When you are planning another visit please contact me directly kfahety@sohogrand.com
Courtice, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I stayed recently on a business trip. It is definitely trendy and in a great Soho location. Rooms are small and it's a bit dark in the common areas but nothing that I would consider a problem. There was nothing remarkable about my visit. Stayed a handful of times there several years ago and not much has changed. It's OK, but not my fave NYC hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sahwkir,
Thank you for your review. When you are planning your next visit please contact me directly so I can try and make sure we become one of your favorites! I think I can make that happen .. kfahey@sohogrand.com
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

My wife and i had just gotten off a 12 hour flight and then went through 2 hours in the customs line; it was only 8:30 am when we arrived at the Soho Grand exhausted. To our surprise, they had a room ready for us at that early hour (we had requested an early check-in, but never did we expect to get a room that early)! The bed was the most comfortable hotel bed ever, the towels plush and soft, the bathroom spacious and the staff was truly the friendliest we have ever experienced anywhere. The Soho Grand is our new home away from home when in NYC. Book it and you will be very pleased!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear David_L34439 ,
Thank you so much for your review. We LOVE to hear we are your new “home away from home”.
We look forward to having you back.
Warwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

On the negative side, the shower was over the bath which was a bit basic and the A/C unit could have been quieter. However, the room was a reasonable size with plenty of storage. Very clean. Bed and pillows were very comfortable. Every staff member we spoke to or dealt with was efficient and charming. Great location with plenty of cafes close by and didn't break the bank to get cabs back to hotel in the evening from Uptown. I would definitely recommend the hotel and will stay there again on our next trip to NYC.

Room Tip: We had a corner room (8th floor) with windows on two walls which meant room had lots of natural ligh...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear TheEwellies,,

Thank you for your review. We hope you will be returning soon. When booking your next stay feel free to contact me directly so I can make your reservation for you. kfahey@sohogrand.com

Kelley

Been to Soho Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!