“Great Atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #219 of 446 hotels in New York City
Nyon, Switzerland
“Great Atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

The Soho Grand is luxury within the wonderful SoHo district of NY. It has the feel of a club with outstanding service, sofas, cosy bar and good sized room and bathroom.

I have a pet hate which the Soho also unfortunately exhibited, being a bath tap that puts you through an IQ test in order to use and time to have a coffee whilst the hot water comes through. I also didn't like the high bed but those are personal tastes.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

1,143 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Turkish first
Oslo, Norway
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

Over the years, I have stayed at this hotel several times. My enthusiasm has dropped every time Ibhave stayed there. I usually stay at The Carlyle when I can, but sometimes the SoHo area is a better location for work trips. My favorite hotel in SoHo is Mercer, but it could be very pricy. I do like the location of SoHo Grand and I used to love the lobby and the bar that served a seafood platter as well as other platters in the old days (I am not sure when they stopped serving these but they are not there now). The people in the lobby are friendly, but I feel that they have little understanding of how to run a hotel. This time, it was the state of the room that bothered me the most. The first room I got had the dirtiest bathroom I have ever seen! It was just unbelievable! Also, there was a used Durex rubber package under the bed as well as a faulty aircondition unit that made loud sounds. There were issues with the bed also, but the issue with the dirty room turned out to be a nightmare. Trying to correct it went poorly as the person from housekeeping barely touched the really dirty parts of the bathroom (they managed to remover old hairs from the drainage system. Management got my attention the second time around, which led to a visit by a confused "acting" manager. She started to tell me that they had no other rooms in my category left and that she could not upgrade me to the next (I was not fishing for an upgrade). She then got my full attention as I gradually got more angry over her total lack of understanding for my rather basic problem! As I had to leave for meetings I did not have time to find another hotel and I had also a friend booked through me at the same hotel on my advice thus giving me more logistical issues (as we both had to find one new hotel). So I gave the hotel another chance. They did not, even on the third attempt, manage to clean the bathroom nor did they give me a new room. This went on until I left the hotel as planned after two nights. I got nothing from the hotel, not even a simple apology! I would not eat the food at a place like this where they can't clean what you see properly - Imagine what goes on in the kitchen. No wonder they have stopped serving shell-fish... In general, I would like to add that these design hotels should learn from the professionals how to run their so called luxury hotels like a normal well run luxury hotel. Then a hotel like SoHo Grand could truly be an excellent property because the design is great and thee lobby and location is unique!

Room Tip: Ask for a well-cleaned room!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Apollo

Rob A, General Manager at Soho Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
Dear Gudleiv,

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am very appreciative of your honesty, as it will help us pinpoint the areas where we need to focus our efforts to improve.

I sincerely apologize for your recent experience at the Soho Grand. From the housekeeping issues with your room, to the lack of response on our behalf when you approached our management staff; these are inexcusable problems that I will address with my entire team to ensure they do not happen again.

We value you as a guest and hope this stay will not leave a permanent impression. We hope you will allow us to restore your faith in our brand on a future visit to New York. Please contact me directly if I can be of assistance with travel arrangements or anything else.

Kindest Regards,

Rob Andrews
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

I currently live in London, but was a resident of NYC for ten years.... I have to say that as a New Yorker staying at the Soho Grand is always a treat.... The service is impeccable, the rooms are just lovely and you're close to everything. I'll move back to New York eventually, but I consider the Soho Grand my new home for when I'm home...

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

We have stayed at the Soho Grand numerous times over the past 7 years. We have always had a great experience and the staff has always been extremely helpful. We were there with friends last week and the staff went out of their way to make the trip special for all of us. We were also at the Soho Grand in August during the hurricane and the hotel did a great job of keeping everyone informed and comfortable. This is our go to hotel in NYC.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

We stayed in the Soho Grand during a recent trip to New York and I highly recommend! The rooms have a real New York loft feel, with vintage style furnishings and the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in! The hotel itself is cozy and comfortable, yet stylish. The bar is a great place to hang out, although my only gripe would be that the bar staff are pretty rude, which is strange for New York, but we got over it. The rest of the staff in the hotel couldn't be nicer or more helpful, especially the fantastic concierge (I think her name is Alicia?) who recommended some great bars and restaurants that we would never have discovered on our own.Location-wise, the Soho Grand is second to none. I will definitely be going back here!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

I spend about 200 nights a year in hotels all over the planet - and after 3 years of staying at the Soho Grand every few weeks - I can honestly say that it's by far the best of the places I stay. (Not that any of them are bad!) The thing that sets the Soho Grand apart is the people. The staff are all amazing. Friendly, courteous, professional and charming. They have never, ever let me down. From the doormen to the reception, the concierge desk, wait staff, barmen and room attendants - every last one of them plays a role. They make every stay special.

Room Tip: Try for a high floor - great views.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
shanghai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

My stay at the SoHo Grand got off to kind of a rough start, firstly when I couldn't find the hotel, and secondly when I arrived in my room to find that the air conditioner had leaked water all over the carpet, but with one quick call to the front desk, the hotel staff fixed the whole situation and my stay ended up being a great one.
In addition to giving me a couple vouchers to the hotel bar (which I highly recommend because they make the strongest Manhattan I've ever tasted), the hotel staff switched my room immediately, upgrading me to a view of the Empire State Building . . . nice.
While the rooms are a bit small and the bathroom fixtures are a bit dated, the overall vibe, ambiance and decor of the hotel are really classy and young. Additionally, the location downtown is perfect for people who want to be able to reach SoHo, Chinatown and Greenwich Village on foot.
I'm sure you can find a cheaper hotel somewhere uptown, but for the money, quality and location, I recommend the SoHo Grand for couples looking for a chic, romantic city getaway.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Empire State Building
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Soho Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!