“Perfection Again” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Sherry-Netherland Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Sherry-Netherland Hotel to your Saves list
The Sherry-Netherland Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   781 Fifth Avenue, At 59th Street, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Stay As If You Live In NY
Ranked #3 of 453 Hotels in New York City
Savannah, Georgia
“Perfection Again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Our most recent stay at the Sherry-Netherland was wonderful, as always. It feels like having our own apartment in the city. The staff couldn't be more friendly, welcoming and helpful. Our suite was newly decorated in a traditionl/art deco style that was comfortable and fun. The location, of course, is perfect, with its entrance on Fifth Avenue and view of Central Park and Bergdorf Goodman. We are already planning our next stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Elsah, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

The Sherry-Netherland Hotel came into my experience by chance. I was coming into town for a meeting and the Sherry was one of the hotels with which they had worked out a special rate. Now, it wasn't incredibly cheap, but it was cheaper than some of the other options, so I went with it. I was going to stay for just one night and I'm pretty flexible having stayed in my fair share of Best Westerns, Motel 6s, and the like.

First impression? Old-fashioned luxury. You feel like you're walking into a private club from early last century... well, except that the old-fashioned private club has fast wifi, flat screen tvs, and free in-room drinks, chocolate, and a Keurig machine for coffees and teas. Okay, but here's the catch, my first experience at the Sherry didn't turn out so well. My bed was crazy hard. And I'm not one to complain. For reference, when my wife was pregnant last year she turned up the firmness on our select comfort bed to the highest setting... I tried it out and had no problem sleeping comfortably. So according to the guys at Select Comfort, one of the top selling beds in the country, I still sleep soundly on the firmest mattress setting they offer. Ok, back to the Sherry. So confused was I about this mattress, that I started taking off the bottom sheet to see what this crazy mattress was! It turns out that the springs on the inside of the mattress were exposed. I wish I had taken a picture of it. Anyways, it felt like two sheets of wood with a thin layer of padding over it. If that wasn't bad enough, there was some sort of crazy sound outside all night long... sounded like the AC unit but I'm not sure. I did not get a great night's sleep.

So when I checked out the following morning, I commented on the bed and the lady at the front desk said she wished I had let them know as each room in the hotel is different and may have different mattresses. That would have been good to know the night before. She also commented on how many people have said they love the mattresses at the Sherry. Well, I think this one slipped by them.

Anyways, I got a comment card the next day and felt obligated to let someone know the sorry state of that bed and about the crazy sound outside. And here's when things started getting better. The managing director wrote me back promptly:

"I am disturbed that you did not have a comfortable stay and offer my sincerest apologies. If we would have known prior to check out we could have offered you a room change. Although I see that you weren’t aware we have individually decorated rooms. Many are different in style and upgraded as we feel necessary every day. In regard to the mattresses in our rooms, as they need to be replaced we are consistent in replacing them with a Sealy Titanium Alloy Plush mattress. It seems to be a favorite to all. We are certainly looking into the mattress in room 1615 as you are the only person that has taken the time to comment. We take our guests comments seriously and we take care of it as best we can. As far as the HVAC noise that is something we cannot control but we are making the necessary repairs to it. We certainly don’t want you to walk away with a bad feeling. Our guests comfort and experience mean a lot to us. So on behalf of all we would like to welcome you back as our guest for one night subject to availability. Please contact me so I can personally make your arrangements."

What a professional message! Boy, was I impressed. So, two nights ago I took the Sherry up on their offer. I arrived, checked in, and was given a room on the third floor. When I walked in I just about dropped all of my bags. It was a HUGE suite. We're talking apartment sized. Living room with dining room table, big screen TV, fireplace, couches, a small kitchen, a bedroom with another big screen TV, a huge marble bathroom, walk in closet, and a view of 5th Avenue and the iconic glass-cubed Apple Store. I couldn't believe it. Talk about taking care of your customers! Oh, and it had a really comfortable bed.

What I think is the overall great thing about this whole experience, is that I'm just nobody from the Midwest in my late 20s on a business trip but they treated me like their VIP customer. It's customer service the way it should be, you know? Anyways, they never prompted me to leave a review, by the way. They could have given me the same room as before (hopefully with a new mattress) and I would have been perfectly happy. But they took the time to go the extra mile. Is everything new and state-of-the art? No (although the flat screen was a new Samsung SmartTV). Is the gym filled with the most recent equipment? No (although there's plenty of machines and weights to put together a great workout). Is the customer service top-notch? Absolutely. So there you go... my two cents.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Kkinet1, Manager at The Sherry-Netherland Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for your kind and generous review of The Sherry. We are currently planning a renovation of our Fitness Center in the summer, and hope that, by your next visit, you will find it more to your liking.
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We stayed 6 nights in a city view double - room 203, which overlooks Central Park and The Plaza hotel - with a roll-out bed for our daughter.
It wasn't cheap but IMHO a steal at the price we paid through Expedia.
Perfect location for uptown and midtown sites and very close to subway for downtown.
Restaurants in this area are expensive as you would expect but more reasonable a short walk or subway ride away.
Hotel style is like the London Ritz but isn't quite that posh.
Staff and service was excellent

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I went to NYC with my three daughters for a shopping/broadway trip........stayed at the Sherry Netherland from 4/10 thru 4/14 and enjoyed our stay very very much! Everyone was sooooo friendly and helpful, the suite was beautifully appointed, and the location is the best!! We will definitely stay here again on our next visit, and highly recommend the Sherry to anyone looking for a quiet, elegant hotel!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Sherwood Park, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We recently stayed at this historic hotel. The Sherry is a fantastic destination, the location is perfect ( 5th Ave and 59st) as great shopping is within a short walk. The staff were professional, helpful and pleasant.

Room Tip: Rooms on north side may offer view of Central Park
Littleton, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We loved this place. Great location, beautiful room, amazingly warm staff. We began days at the restaurant, Cipriani's, walked the city daily and returned to a staff that knew us and helped with everything we needed (including finding the nearest Shake Shack for us). As retired teachers, the extraordinary treatment we received has made this our only choice for lodging when we make future trips to the big city.

Room Tip: We booked early. Specials are available. Sign-up for emails.
Baltimore, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

It was a gorgeous hotel in a great location. There are people that live there, so it is a little more conservative of an atmosphere, but the service was good and the attention to detail made a big difference.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Sherry-Netherland Hotel? Share your experiences!