“Old- time New York at its Best” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Sherry-Netherland Hotel

You added The Sherry-Netherland Hotel to your Saves list
The Sherry-Netherland Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   781 Fifth Avenue, At 59th Street, New York City, NY 10022 (Upper East Side)   |
Ranked #1 of 463 Hotels in New York City
NY
“Old- time New York at its Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

Our family stayed in five rooms at the Sherry Netherland this weekend. It's a beautiful old hotel, with excellent service and great attention to detail (eg. the elevator operator remembers on what floor we were staying on the first day). The rooms are spacious for NYC, and were quiet and clean. We have stayed in the Pierre, Waldorf, Essex house, etc and this hotel stands above the rest with their friendly and professional service. Loved it!

• Stayed March 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

I've stayed in a lot of hotels in New York, this was one of the best. Doorman, elevator (lift) attendant and everyone seemed to remember my name which was probably the most impressive thing. A fridge with several complimentary drinks refreshed every day, free wifi (sadly unusual these days).

The location was perfect, right next to the Apple store on the south east corner or Central Park, business or pleasure a great find.

Room Tip: The higher the better (usually the rule in New York)
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Ringerike, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

We chose this hotel because we wanted to stay in a child friendly location in New York, and to be frank, you pay a little more but you get much more for your money. I don't want to spoil the surprise for you by going into detail about all the niceties that this hotel offers, but I can promise you an endless row of moments when you will exert an "Oooh!" and be moved by the care that the hotel demonstrates time and time again. If you are considering NOT to dine for breakfast at the Cipriani restaurant, I have to tell you that you only pay $10 more there for a decent breakfast than in a greasy spoon cafe, but you get more for your money. We tried a few different options, and would not bother looking around for alternatives, unless you just want to grab a sandwich.
The Sherry Netherland is the first ever service establishment I have encountered where you actually feel that the hospitality philosophy has actually filtered its way to all levels of employees. There is not one person who acts as if they haven't embraced the friendly attitude the Sherry is seeking to emit. There is only one minor complaint, and that is that the bed is slightly on the hard side for me. But this is a minor detail, so unless you are very sensitive to this, choose the Sherry. You will get more than a hotel stay, You will truly beleive this is your second home.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

I have traveled all over the world and stayed at some of the finest hotels in Europe, Asia and Austrialia. A hotel needs to be truly special to impress me enough to leave a review. The Sherry is such a place and I can not say enough about what a wonderful experience it was to stay there. The location is second to none, the service is superior and the various rooms in which I have stayed are always a joy to come back to in the evenings. My most recent room had a full kitchen so leaving in the morning was often delayed by the enjoyment of a coffee and bagle breakfast overlooking the City. Exceptional bedding and pillows, responsive thermostat and virtually sound-proof windows (I can not say enough good about the sound-proofing) made for a good night's sleep. Very much looking forward to our next stay and would not even consider another hotel in New York City.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
sao paulo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

what can I say? attentive staff, homey feel, perfect location, big rooms,tastefully furnished.
the hotel is very quiet, no lobby , plenty of " habitues'', you will be called by your name and feel very welcome and taken care of..I really thank all of the team who made us feel at home and particularly jackie who upgraded one of our rooms without us asking when she saw we had a lot of luggage..only downside my stay was too short!

Room Tip: all rooms are good , just go there!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

I found this quite an odd experience. The hotel is part of an apartment building so doesn't have the feel of a hotel at all. Check in was fine and my bags were delivered quickly to my room and I was shown how to work all the various things in the room. Complimentary drinks in the fridge is a real bonus. However this was about the only time any of the staff actually spoke to me. Each time I got the lift up of down I was greeted with hello or good morning but try to engage the attendant in conversation and it is an up hill battle. I thought maybe it was an isolated case but it happened with all of the attendants. I did come down in the lift once with one of the residents and the attendant didn't draw breath so I assume that hotel guests are just to be tolerated to defray the cost of maintenance on the building.

Same with the staff at reception and the door man, each time I walked passed I was ignored. I just put it down to the fact that I was just not Upper East Side enough and fankly having said all this it didn't really bother me.

The rooms are large and beds comfy. As far as amenities I could not complain. Bathroom was a bit tired and needed little things fixed and an upgrade. Location is also great with everything nearby.

I can tick it off my list but I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
nyc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

The Sherry is the most wonderful "quiet" in the middle of the NYC storm...outside the great hustle and bustle...inside the Sherry is total serenity. We feel so warm and welcome from the minute we step out of our car in front until the minute we pull away from the curb...simply amazing experience every time!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Sherry-Netherland Hotel? Share your experiences!