“Staff genuinely wanted to please.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel

You added Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   811 7th Avenue on 52nd Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Formerly Sheraton New York Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #252 of 459 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Melbourne, Australia
“Staff genuinely wanted to please.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

We booked a twin double bedded room for two nights for my husband and I and our 17 year old son. The trouble was my little boy (at 6’2’ & like a giraffe) had to have his own bed & indeed enjoyed a comfortable nights sleep in one bed whilst my husband and I left fighting for the doona in the smallest double bed of our trip - the worst night’s sleep since the plane trip over! It appears that all the twin beds in the Sheraton are the same size, it’s a small double it certainly ‘wasn’t the best night’s sleep you’ve ever’ and the only ‘incredible aargh from the Sheraton Sleepmaker bed’ was when one of us rolled over and elbowed the other, not quite as promised in the publicity.

Let’s talk about what is great about this hotel - if you like to be in the liveliest parts of New York, when you walk out at night into the lights of Times Square and say ‘Wow’, then this is for you. Our rooms were surprisingly quiet, given the location and had great black out window furnishings. The bed for one, is to give the marketing it's due, comfy. The berries at breakfast were superb. The majority of staff (once you got the right ones) were great and a special shout out to Joseph and Seher for their professional and concerned approach to make it right for us. The concierge, bell balls and baggage storage ($4 per bag bit of a what??? $4 a bag!!!) all delightful. The gym was good. The price was great booked through booking.com.

Not so great - The rooms are small but forgivable for New York, and still big enough for bigger sized double beds, you need to pick your time to check-in and checkout as there were queues, on the higher floors expect the lifts to be slow, and renovations to the front entrance are ongoing. No free wifi in the rooms (my pet hate) although complimentary with Starwood Membership and offered free of charge in the lobby. However the lobby is a zoo at all times of day and night - It did cross my mind to leave the giraffe down there to sleep…

In the end not needed as Seher sorted out a room for our second night, large enough for a rollaway bed. The giraffe still eyeing up one of the twin beds - Oh no you don’t, I roared that’s mine, you slept last night!!

Thanks Guys for a memorable stay, we do appreciate all you did to help us. My rating at Very good reflects the high service support and sheer effort to make things right for us :)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Joe G, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Hello Little W,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review there is nothing we love to hear more than our guests loving their experience with us! Your kind words regarding the service of our Staff are greatly appreciated. It is so wonderful to hear that Seher and Joseph were able to make your stay with us more enjoyable! Our staff truly cares for our guests and we love to see that shine through.

I do want to apologize for the difficulties you had with our delayed elevators and busy time in our Lobby. Our Director of the Front Office has been notified. We are always trying to improve our service and I want to thank you for your valuable feedback as it helps us know what service specifically needs to be improved. We look forward to your next visit!

Joseph Giordano

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (741)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

I am re-writing this review as I inadvertently confused the ratings and gave "terrible" where I should have graded"excellent".( It was my first tripadvisor review ). As a frequent traveler, I travel to manhattan almost weekly. Without question, the Sheraton Times Square is TRULY a home away from home!! The rooms are beautiful and on the higher floors have a great view. The club lounge has a stunning panoramic view of manhattan, debatably, one of the best in the city! The food is quite tasty. Most importantly, the staff is probably one of the best in the Starwood chain. Truly caring and accomidating! Give this hotel a visit your next manhattan visit! You won't be disappointed! Special accolades to Seher and Sandeep!

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

I have stated here 3 times in the past 5 years. Most recently August 2013. It's a great location, just up from Times Square and only a 10 min stroll to Central Park.
The rooms are mostly small, but very clean and comfortable. I have stayed on the club level once and enjoyed a large comfortable room, but most of the rooms are on the smaller side. The club lounge is fabulous with a great variety of breakfast choices and then afternoon snacks.
Overall a great place to stay and an excellent location. (I have found that the rooms on lower levels can be noisy and you still hear the noise of horns etc throughout the night, I needed ear plugs to sleep, on level 23. But the other times I've stayed on level 43 and above and had no trouble with noise)

• Stayed August 2013
Hello Bridge1978

I am very lifted by your review and very glad to hear how you enjoyed the service and comfort of our Club Lounge. Your kind words regarding the friendly service of our staff are greatly appreciated and we look forward to sharing them with our team!

I think our location is the best for sightseeing located near Times Square, Central Park and Rockefeller Center and access to great shopping. It provides such easy accessibility you are able to see the entire city in short travel time it’s a quick subway ride to everywhere.

Thank you and please ensure you do visit us again and spread the happiness!

belfast
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

There is nothing at all special about this hotel apart from the location - rooms are basic and a bit tired. Our room wasn't ready until 2200 on arrival but they comped us dinner, wifi, luggage check and 100$ room credit... Much appreciated except that they went on to charge us for the wifi on check out and the receptionist was none to happy about re crediting. Walls are paper thin, phone in next room rang constantly last night. Not what I expected from the Sheraton brand

• Stayed April 2014
Joe G, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Hello Sharon1,

Thank you for your review. Our location is second to none we are just close enough to Times Square and many NYC attractions but a few blocks from the hustle and bustle to give our guests some relaxation. Here we take guest feedback very seriously and we apologize for any inconveniences caused by the delayed check in and service response during your stay our Director of the Front Desk has been notified. We would love another chance to show you a great experience. We look forward to your next visit!

NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

This hotel sent me a survey after our recent stay. I answered the questions truthfully, including the fact that we were overcharged at the restaurant in the morning. We got the form letter response of "sorry you weren't happy but we hope you come again so we can make it better". That is not acceptable so I figured I would give the same review here. It was very busy due to the holiday, the smoking outside the door which clogged the lobby is a real problem which they need to address. I noticed others commented on the same thing. The rooms were great, clean and the staff was fine. I just feel it is unacceptable to overcharge at the restaurant when we all know the prices for breakfast are too high to begin with. We had guests with us and didn't want to make a fuss so we just paid the bill including the tax and tip based on the inflated amount. They need to fix the front door, get rid of the smoking and check on the restaurant staff.

Green Features: how can it be environmentally friendly if the hotel lobby in saturated with smoke?
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Joe G, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Hello Halfrench,

I apologize for all the challenges you had while visiting us recently but thank you for giving us this review so we may have the opportunity to address all of your concerns.

In regards to addressing your concerns I would like to arrange a time to speak with you directly to discuss all of your concerns and offer you some options that will help resolve the matter. Please contact me directly at (joseph.giordano@Sheraton.com).

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

It's extraordinary to me how a hotel of this size is able to give guests such a great experience. You see it everywhere in the hotel - managers making sure that everything is handled properly and efficiently. They care about their guests.

Hello Steven R,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this fantastic review. There is nothing we love to hear more than our guests loving their service and experience with us! Guest satisfaction is our number one goal and there is nothing better than achieving that! Your kind words regarding the friendly service of our staff are greatly appreciated and we look forward to sharing them with our team

Thank you and please ensure you do visit us again and spread the happiness!

Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

Friendly staff, clean rooms, great location and very reasonably priced. The doormen were great and the views from the 43rd floor were fantastic. The check in process was faster than anticipated. I'd stay again in a heartbeat.

Hello Lodasz1,

Thank you for taking the time to give up a review and for acknowledging how enjoyable your Front Desk service was during your check in! Your kind words regarding the service of our Staff are greatly appreciated. It is so wonderful to hear our doormen were able to make your stay with us more enjoyable! Our staff truly cares for our guests and we love to see that shine through. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed our location and its proximity to all that New York has to offer.

We are so happy to hear you will be back for another stay in the future!

Warm regards,

Joseph Giordano

Been to Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel? Share your experiences!