“Fantastic Location, Great Service - Highly Recommended.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel

You added Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   811 7th Avenue on 52nd Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Formerly Sheraton New York Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #254 of 459 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
UK
“Fantastic Location, Great Service - Highly Recommended.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Perfect location, just a few blocks from both Times Square and Central Park. The 7th Ave E Train stop is right next to the hotel, which will take you to JFK and downtown to the WTC.

Arrived at 5pm, no queue to check in and was given a free upgrade to a Superior King from the traditional queen which was booked. Was on the 27th floor, which had an express lift bypassing floors 1-21. Great sized room, plenty of storage and bathroom good (although slightly on the small side and water pressure not great). Very comfortable bed, amazingly soft pillows. There was a mini-bar in the room (didn't use, and was warned in checkin that even moving items may trigger a charge). Complementary Starbucks Coffee for the machine in the room.

Didn't use the hotel restaurant facilities, so cannot comment. Free WiFi in the lobby was a nice added bonus. Would highly recommend, location was perfect and only had to use public transport to get to the downtown/WTC/Financial district. 5th Ave, Times Sq, Central Park etc are all within easy walking distance.

Was my first trip to NYC and loved it, cannot wait to return!

Room Tip: High room to avoid road noise. Rooms near the elevatorsmay be disturbed by the 'ding' of ele...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (744)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Clean,good price, food ,nice people ,I stay there for a week and I recommend this hotel ,is walk distance from central park and times square , and have excellent places around for eat and buy things . also have train stops very near from the hotel. next time I will stay there again. If you are looking for A clean , noise less Hotel , This is the one .

Room Tip: Noise less rooms over 50 floor, clean and beautiful night view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Before I go into the bad stuff, let me say that the staff were excellent, helpful, apologetic, etc. No issues in hospitality at all. And the location was fabulous if you are there as a tourist. And the breakfast buffet, although expensive, was varied and interesting. Quite yummy.

The hotel itself is another matter.

I'll begin with the bed. Hard as a rock. Room was TINY. Don't expect to be singing into your hairbrush as you dance around in front of the bathroom mirror; you had to leave the room to change your mind. Tub was ridiculously small too...very weird.

The room was about 5 rooms away from the elevator. Every time it reached the eighth floor, you heard the bell ring. Also, the AC did not work. I was told they just rehabbed that part of the hotel and several rooms are having the same problem. So stay off of the 8th floor. I asked for a fan; didn't get one until a day later. The windows opened about 3 inches for fresh air. So you got to listen to all the construction on the hotel outside.

So there it is...not what you'd expect from a Sheraton at $500/night.

Room Tip: 8th floor sucks.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We are currently staying at the Sheraton New York Hotel, and having read all the raving reviews about the staff and the rooms I was anticipating being very happy with the stay. I work in the hotel industry so I admit it takes a fair amount to please me when it comes to service and quality, so the reviews were the main reason I booked here. So far I am not blown away.
A week before our trip I emailed reservations asking for some information on the area and also wanting to organise a bottle of fizzy for arrival, as it was my partners 30th the day we arrived. I have as yet not received a reply.
The hotel itself is nicely furnished and the room was ready straight away, so I had high hopes on checking in. However, the room itself is very small, and there is no bath only a walk in shower (fine for business men and quick stays, but for a week of walking the length and breadth of the city I would love a bath!). No mention was made of my partners birthday either (hotel basics in my eyes, especially since I emailed them and left a message on the reservation when booking, and they checked the passports).
We booked a club room hoping for something a bit more special, including a better view as the rooms are the upper floors of the hotel, but I think we would have been better with the standard room, at least they have a bath! The club lounge however is worth the upgrade, as there is daily continental breakfast, all you can drink coffee, tea and bottled water and nibbles in the evening. The free wifi has come in useful as well!
From other reviews I had read many times that the staff were amazing and helpful, but so far I have seen average (reasonably friendly) service. When I inquired about moving to a room with a bath (even offering to downgrade the room if required) I was met with a straight 'No'. Seems they are used to being asked about this and are bored with the question.
Perhaps the rest of the stay will change my mind, but not holding my breath...

Room Tip: Club lounge is a good benefit, but if you like to have a relaxing bath, stick with the standard. The...
St. Petersburg, Florida, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed here for two nights during a four night stay in NYC. A family member booked us for two nights at the Hilton around the corner and I personally booked the Sheraton for our last two nights. Whew! This Sheraton was such a relief after staying two nights at that run down, dingy Hilton!

The location is wonderful! Great rooms, modern, clean and full of nice amenities. Staff was helpful and friendly. Would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Just got back after a five night stay at this hotel and had to sing it's praises. We stayed in a club room, so can't comment on the other rooms, but can certainly recommend paying a little extra for a club room.Firstly, the location is superb, it's a few minutes walk one way to Times Square, and five minutes to Central Park in the other direction. When we arrived there was a reasonable queue to check in, but the staff were efficient, and a manager came to apologise for the wait,but it really didn't bother us.We then got the really fast lift(really fast!) to our room on the 47th floor, and when we walked in, we knew we had made a good choice, not a huge room, but everything you could want including (and it bugs me how many hotels don't provide these items!) an iron and an ironing board, so we could look our sharpest in the city! We could see Times Square from the room, and many,many skyscrapers! Our room price included access to the Club Lounge, which means a free complimentary continental style breakfast, and you can go down there 24 hours a day for a free coffee(there are coffee making facilities in the room too! One difficulty for us tea loving Brits is you aren't allowed to put your own things in the mini bar, so we just bought tiny cartons of milk so we could make tea, and take your own kettle!), or apparently snacks, but after the meals we had in NYC, we didn't need snacks! Our room was cleaned beautifully every day, and we spoke to Angela upon leaving and complimented her on her work. The room was pretty well soundproofed from outside noise, but we did get a bit of noise from the corridors, but that's to be expected in any hotel. As tourists, we couldn't find any major fault with this hotel at all,when you consider it's location, cleanliness and friendliness, plus the excellent room rate. We would have no hesitation in wholeheartedly recommending this hotel, and we have already said it will be our first choice when we return.

Room Tip: We faced Times Square at the front of the hotel, I would assume the rooms at the back will give you...
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Arrived on 7th May for 6nights, it was our Honeymoon. Check in was very easy with no queue at 2pm. We were checked in by Joy, who confirmed we had booked a club floor room. She advised us she was going to give us complimentary Wi-Fi in our room, this equated to approx. $75 for the duration of our stay. By booking a club floor room we were entitled to a complimentary continental breakfast, this consisted of, bagels, croissants, cakes, fruit, yoghurts, cereals, porridge, Starbucks coffee and fruit juices. All in all an excellent start to the day, that kept us going until mid afternoon. The room was immaculate with a king-size bed, small table and chairs, TV on the wall and enough room to store two suitcases. The bathroom was very small but had a large shower cubicle. My one complaint would be, that the walls in the room are very thin, so much so, next doors wake up alarm on their I phone got me up thinking I had set mine by mistake! The hotel was situated a short stroll (3 to 4 mins) away from Times Square far enough away from the noise but near enough to feel the atmosphere. The morning of checkout we were once again dealt with by Joy, who asked if everything had been ok. We told her what a fabulous time we'd had made al the better as it was our Honeymoon. She was very upset we hadn't mentioned this to her at check-in and said she would have sent complimentary wine to our room, when we explained we were more than happy with the Wi-Fi, she asked us if we would like a complimentary breakfast in the Hotels restaurant. We declined this as we had already eaten breakfast. Just the fact that Joy offered this to us was an example of excellent customer service by an employee of The Sheraton group.

Room Tip: high floor for views and less traffic noise
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel? Share your experiences!