“Good stay in New York” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel

You added Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   811 7th Avenue on 52nd Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Formerly Sheraton New York Hotel) (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #272 of 464 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Edinburgh
“Good stay in New York”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights. Check-in was fine and the receptionist was very friendly and helpful.
Hotel has recently had major refurb and the public areas were all good. The bedroom and bathroom were very clean and well maintained. Only complaint was that the room was classed as having two double beds, but it was quite obvious that a kingsize bed had been separated to make two, just adequate, double beds.

The hotel has a great location and is only 5mins walk to Central Park and about 10mins walk to middle of Times Square. There are also plenty of subways within a few minutes walk of the hotel.
FYI the daily unlimited ride Metrocard no longer exists and you just buy a Metrocard and top up as required.
It's around 45-60 minutes from Newark Airport and it is advisable to have your tranfer arrangements in place before you go, since cabs would be hyper expensive even if you could convince one to go to Newark.

There are restaurants and diners galore around the hotel and we breakfasted out each morning as this was much cheaper than the fare on offer in the hotel. Would recommend the Park diner two blocks north of the hotel. Good service and prices. Real New York experience.

The lobby of this hotel is extremely busy but the room and corridors were very quiet.
Hotel staff were all helpful and friendly.

All in all a good place to stay in New York.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Devon C, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for the great feedback. There is nothing we love to hear more than our guests loving their experience with us! Our location is second to none! We are just close enough to Times Square and many NYC attractions but a few blocks from the hustle and bustle to give our guests some relaxation. We do apologize for the inconveniences of the bed and always welcome our Guest’s feedback we hope we can make things right upon your return

Joseph Giordano

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (846)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Very convenient location, everything you need is within walking distance. Right in times square. Didn't actually spend much time at the hotel, but was clean and spacious. Enjoyed my stay and had a very positive experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for the great feedback. There is nothing we love to hear more than our guests loving their experience with us! Our location is second to none! We are just close enough to Times Square and many NYC attractions but a few blocks from the hustle and bustle to give our guests some relaxation. Come back soon!

Regards,

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights in a club floor room. Rooms were spacious with plenty of space to store 2 large suitcases, drawers for unpacking and a large wardrobe. The rain shower in the bathroom was lovely ( bathroom on the small side, but beautifully clean). The exec lounge has super views of NYC but a very limited offering for breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres- perhaps the least generous of all the Sheratons we've stayed at.
What was simply outstanding was the warm welcome, friendly and genuinely helpful service from everyone. It was a birthday celebration and I was given a complimentary bottle of red wine and a cheese plate.
The hotel felt safe and secure, with an amazing buzz in the lobby. Don't hesitate to book your stay here!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

In April me and a friend stayed here for a week in a superior room. As you can imagine, when we first arrived in new york we were extremely tired from our long haul flight and all we wanted to do was get to the hotel and sleep. Initially we were dreading the checking-in process after reading previous reviews stating the waiting time could be a while. We arrived on a saturday about 30mins before our 3pm check-in time and the lobby was actually pleasantly quiet. We went straight to the reception and asked if it was too early to check-in, luckily she checked us in there and then and in less than 5 minutes we were given our room cards and heading to our room.

We were given a 2 double bedroom on the 42nd floor. The elevators were extremely fast (you can even hear the wind gushing!) so we got to our floor in no time. The first impressions going into our room were great! A modern, clean and fresh room, with a nice view of the city below. We had a complimentary starbucks coffee machine with coffee and tea. Not that we used it much, but the TV had a good variety of programmes and channels; nice to watch in the evening after a long day out. The lighting in the room was a bit weird, they only had lamps (no ceiling light) but they were bright enough to light the room and the large window with the blinds up filled the room with light too. Our room also included a safe (which we used daily), hairdryer, iron and ironing board. In the evening / morning we would leave the "do not disturb" sign on the front door to prevent the maids turning up in the early mornings and when we leave, we'd take it off. Our room was cleaned and tidied on a daily basis to a good standard.

The location of the hotel was perfect, close to times square and subway stations, as well as some of the big tourist attractions. The majority of tourist attractions were within walking distance and if not, we used the subway to get everywhere.

A few things we didn't like about the room was that we were located near the elevators, so you could sometimes hear the "wind" from the elevator as it's going up and down, but generally, it didn't bother us. We didn't bother with room service as we found it was rather expensive, ranging around $30 EACH for breakfast, so we opted to going out instead and finding nice little cafes around the area (same goes for the in room mini-bar, although we never saw what the prices were like, but we can imagine they charge a lot). You also have to pay for the in-room wifi, but it's free in the lobby at 30min intervals. However we knew about this in advance, so we opted to getting a data sim to use in our smartphone whilst out and about, which came in a lot of handy in regards to directions. The beds were very comfortable, however the layers of bedding and quilts was too much, we both ended up taking off a couple sheets/quilts as it was just too heavy!

Also note that the outside of the hotel currently has scaffolding for renovation works which doesn't make the outside look very appealing, although that didn't bother us anyway.

Overall we were pleasantly surprised and happy with our hotel room. The location was great and i would definitely recommend asking for a room on a high floor to get a good view.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Shanghai, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

The location is great, just closed to the subway, but the room is old. Bathroom is bad with very weak water for the bath. Service is just as normal. And there is no complimentary wifi in the room. Even at the lobby, you could only have 30 mins free wifi. No swimming pool and the windows could not be opened. The cost is not cheap, but it could not deserve it. I will not stay here for next time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Devon C, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. On behalf of our team we apologize for your unpleasant experience. We are sorry to hear that you would not come back but would love another chance to show you the service you deserve. The issue you experienced is being addressed with our team as we hope to resolve this issue completely.

Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed at the Sheraton Times Square for one night primarily for business. I arrived at 3 pm on a Monday and was met with a crowded, noisy lobby with a huge line for check-in. It took 25 minutes to check into my room, which is a bit ridiculous. They certainly needed a lot more people working at the check-in desks! They had one employee whose job I guess was to wander along the line to apologize for the wait. That was pretty pointless. I really would have preferred if they had just trained her to use one of the empty computers to check people in.

Anyway, once I checked in, all I can really say about the room is that it was small. (I come to NY approximately 5 times a year - so I know what other hotels offer.... this room is small for the price.) It's amenities are basic - nothing horrible but nothing fantastic. Well, maybe except for the bed. I did like the bedding and the mattress. Very nice... I did not order room service but the prices looked pretty typical for the area (outrageous but pretty standard).

On a positive note, the location is fantastic. Easy walk to Times Square, Central Park, Rockefeller Center, etc.

Thankfully, checkout was much easier than checkin. I used the TV checkout and they had my zero balance invoice under my door, which I always appreciate.

All in all, it's not a bad hotel but there are plenty of others that I would choose before this one.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that is not too close to the ice machine. My room was very noisy because of this.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your experience. First and foremost we do apologize for the busy lobby and lines during your check in. We apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused you and would love another chance to show you a great experience.

Stowe
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Arrived at hotel at 3 pm with a group and had to wait 1 1/2 hours for rooms so they gave us each 2 bottles of water, some nuts and pretzels and a typed "sorry for your inconvenience" note. I was very offended as my time is worth more than that!!!! Room 1817 bathroom reeked of urine, caught a maintenance man entering my room to "change a lightbulb" as I was returning from breakfast. NOTE: I told him to wait until I was finished in the room. I was checking out!!! But before I left I checked and there were no lighbulb issues in the room. Scarry, so glad I was leaving!!!! My colleague's room was ransacked. Another colleague entered her room and there was a woman in the bed and a man in the room. There were given a room that was obviously occupied!!!! At breakfast the waitress was very rude. I would not recommend this hotel. BUT New York City was fabulous, even in the rain. Our group will be back next year but we'll stay at a different hotel. Hello Sheraton, there's competition out there ya know!!!

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Ms. Sunshine 19518:

Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns. On behalf of the Hotel Management and Staff please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay with us. We constantly strive to improve our services and there is no one in a better position to observe than you are.

I like to personally thank you for your feedback which we consider extremely important to us in our daily operation and also would like to apologize for the less than perfect stay at our Property. Ms. Sunshine 19518 please forward me your contact telephone number and e-mail, so I may have the opportunity to address all your stated concerns and come to I believe a positive resolution. Please feel free to contact me at 212-841-6468 and to forward your information by e-mail at (joseph.giordano@sheraton.com).

Respectfully,

Joe Giordano

Been to Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel? Share your experiences!