“Terrible” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   811 7th Avenue on 52nd Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Formerly Sheraton New York Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #241 of 455 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Calgary
“Terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

House keeping was awful. Tooth Paste on the sink when we arrived. Rotten fruit in our room. Changed the sheets and put ones on that had a hole it. Good location but not worth staying at again. Talked to service manager. They said they would address it. Never heard from them again.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (676)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
St. Bees, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

The hotel is located only five minutes from Times Square and Central park. The museum of modern art (Moma) is only two minutes away. The New York museum of Art and many other museums on Museum Mile are less than an hour walk through or alongside Central park. There is a subway on the corner that takes you to Penn station (for Newark AIrport) or Jamaica (for JFK).

The rooms and facilities were excellent but expensive. There were uniformed staff everywhere. My room was rather small and only had a shower room, but it was not crampted. The room was well decorated with a large well padded bed and an easy to use free starbucks branded coffee making filter machine in the corner. There were a minibar and sweet drawer but I did not use them. Even on the 20th floor the street noise at night was quite loud, but using the two blinds you can reduce this substanially. I expect the higher up rooms had less street noise.

I stayed at the hotel for a conference and got a reduced US Government rate of $240 per day (including taxes of ~$36) with free internet through the conference. The wifi internet was $14.95 per day without any packages for longer periods, I had to accept the charge and it was removed at checkout. The internet was fast enough for streaming short videos and running an encrypted VPN connection, but I did not try HD video streaming. I understand the conference got a good rate (and the free internet) as the hotel is being renovated and thus were willing to give a substancial discount. I was invited to the presidential suit high up on the hotel one evening for a little get together of conference organisers and the view over NYC was amazing. The room was 10m by 10m with two floors, including bedrooms, bathrooms and kitchen, a whole house as a single hotel room with a 84" flat screen TV! I undertand this room can cost $10,000 per night!

The Hudson's Market restaurant had a wonderful breakfast buffet, well worth a try, but was expensive at $35 per person (including a $5 tip)! The staff were always nearby if you needed a top up of coffee or juice. The coffee space/bar/internet hub had excellent sandwiches and salads for lunch but at $12 with a coke, including the 15% reduction for conference attendees, this was rather expensive.

There are many nearby restaurants. I tried Rosie O'Gradies and Heartland Brewery, both were excellent. I especially recommend the sesame crusted tuna at Heartland. The tuna, if ordered rare, is red in the centre with only a cooked region at the edge of the meat but a real food experience (but as recommended by the cute asian waiter don't order this well done or you spoil its flavour).

I found this hotel excellent, even without using the vast fitness room and other facilities. However, expect to pay for the experience.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less street noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Devon C, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Robert M,

Thank you for your review. It is great to hear that you enjoyed our central location and it added convenience to your stay. We are pleased you found our facilities to be excellent and appreciate your feedback.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I stayed in this hotel from 4th March to 8th March 2013.

The hotel is in an excellent location, on 7th avenue literally 2 seconds from Times Square to the left and a 5/10 minute walk to Central Park to the right.

The hotel itself is beautiful inside, all seemed very clean and the staff were friendly. When checking in, we asked for our rooms to be on the same floor and the staff were very accommodating.

We were offered wi-fi in our rooms but we declined when we were told it was $14 per day PER DEVICE! Complete rip-off! If you stay here, just use the free wi-fi in the lobby which gives you a roaming password to use it in your room for free for 30 minutes.

The room itself was clean and tidy. The room I stayed in had a fantastic view and surprisingly kept the noise from the surrounding streets out. The only downside was that the room had 2 doors that connected to the other rooms beside us. These doors were locked at all times but it meant you could hear everything in each room which is no good when you have people talking to each other at 2 in the morning.

The only other downside to the hotel is that there are people coming in and out of the hotel all the time. Business trips, tour groups etc basically people that aren't staying at the hotel are all over the place therefore it's almost impossible to get a seat anywhere downstairs. It also made me feel a little uncomfortable in regards to security as there was nobody about to stop people from walking in off the street, going into the lift and wandering around the hotel. This is what stopped me giving this hotel 5 stars.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Bangor Northern Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Newly refurbished and modern, comfortable clean and a massive bed! After a 7 hour flight - we had a very easy check in and the room was above our expectations! Lovely. Staff helpful. Lobby busy but to be expected with a big hotel. Great location - will definately be back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
LA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

We booked four rooms, 3 doubles and a king for four nights, Tuesday through Saturday. Our first request that was not met: The specific booking was for all four rooms to be on the same floor and that we wanted to be on higher floors 29-50. We were given three doubles on the 18th floor and told there was no king available on the floor. We were then given a king on the 33nd floor. First, this meant that we had to go up and down two different elevators to be able to check on students on the 18th floor which was a total hassle. Secondly, the king room, on the 33rd floor, was located next to the elevator, ice machines and had construction going on right outside our window. We complained immediately after getting up to our room as our stay was for four nights. Our second request not met: After asking for another room, we were told that there was not a single other king room available and to check back the next day. The room had a door which connected to the adjacent room which was a paper thin sound barrier. In addition to the loud noise in the room, the shower in the room constantly backed up. We complained, yet no one ever came to fix it. Third request not met: The next morning we asked the front desk to move us again and were told they would the following day! This never happened. We were never contacted nor did anyone ever even attempt to address our concerns. We felt trapped in this room and ultimately were. No one ever apologized nor even seemed to care at this high volume hotel. One other observation, the concierge desk was no help what so ever and in fact the gentleman at the desk was rude and completely unfriendly. He acted as if we put him out when asking simple questions about NYC. In fact, he said it was "not his job" as he was only there to book shows and tours. He should not be in customer service. It really is to bad to have left the hotel with such a bitter taste in our mouths. The location is great, the maid service outstanding and the front desk was polite, just unwilling to address our requests or concerns during our stay. We travel to NYC yearly and were looking forward to the Sheraton becoming a new hotel that we could count on. We were disappointed to say the least.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Orlando
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I am a huge SPG fan so I pretty much only stay at their properties and used to stay at this hotel all the time. Maybe I am just getting too old for the hustle bustle of the place.

Heres the good - price was good, room is pretty and comfortable. The recent refurbishment is nice and I applaud them on the good use of space in the rooms, lots of drawers and storage which is nice. Of course the beds are good.

Here's the bad - horrible lighting in the bathrooms, why haven't hotels learned that women need proper light to apply makeup? the other issue was that the hallways were so BRIGHT that I had to hang towels around the door so that the light stayed out of the room. And the walls are like cardboard, I could hear my neighbor sneeze. Thank goodness I brought ear plugs.

the refurbishment got rid of most of the lobby bar which I loved (one time sat next to Robert Osborne there) and now it is a wifi area always packed with teens! And the lobby is just crazy all day long. Just like Grand Central, seriously.

On the plus side, you didn't wait long for elevators which you would think you might with all these people.

I was annoyed that I could get a late check out (not even one hour) and then they make you PAY $3.25 per piece of luggage to store it. What hotel charges to store luggage these days??? And come on, guys, internet should be free in your room as well. And I got conflicting information from the front desk on whether our internet was included in the rate or not. She told me upon check in it was $14.95 per day so I didn't sign on, then day 3 I find out it was included in my rate.

I wouldn't stay here again unless on a group or convention in the hotel.

Room Tip: Get as high up as possible to avoid the noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Stayed 4 nights between Christmas and New Years because the rates were pretty good. They have done an excellent job with the recent refurbishment. Hotel was pretty busy and the lobby area always full of people so we didn't get to spend much time there. Hotel is in a great location, right by a Metro stop. We didn't eat in any of the hotel restaurants but there is a fantastic Greek/Italian deli across the street (great for breakfast). So lets sum this up, nice property, great rates, good security by the elevators, really comfy beds and the usual Sheraton amenities. My only issue was the restocking of the in-room coffee supplies. We can to call but they were prompt in getting the coffee to our room. Probably just an oversight, I can live with that.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel? Share your experiences!