“Nice room served it's purpose. Lobby is too crazy for me though.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel

You added Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   811 7th Avenue on 52nd Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Formerly Sheraton New York Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #253 of 459 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Us
“Nice room served it's purpose. Lobby is too crazy for me though.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I probably won't stay here again considering it's size and the chaos of the lobby. The lines to check in and out was 20 people deep each person taking a total of 20 minutes to a half an hour. The front desk person I got after waiting in the line for nearly an hour or more was a nasty nasty woman by the name of JOY. Dealing with her was a very unpleasant experience given her HARD -ALPHA woman attitude. She addressed me as a man calling me sir after asking for my ID that clearly says im FEMALE. The trip to the hotel was horrendous as I arrived at port authority @ 1:15 and finally got up to my room around 3:45 leaving me no time to enjoy my day in the city before having to get ready for an event in the evening.

Room Tip: ask them for a room high up
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Devon C, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
idaliss,

Thank you for your feedback. On behalf of our team we apologize for your unpleasant check-in experience. At times our lobby can become very busy and we are always working to handling the lines as best we can. The level of service you experienced is not the norm for us and we would love another chance to make things right. We hope you will return and give us another chance.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (740)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I just returned from a wonderful one night stay with my tween daughter. I was able to bid on a four-star hotel via Priceline and luckily ended up with the Sheraton NY for less than half of it's usual hefty price tag - a major plus! The hotel is in an excellent location at the corner of 7th Ave and 53rd St., walking distance to both Central Park and Times Square with several eating options nearby. The check in line was about 10 people long but went quickly. The "line greeter" and the front desk person were both genuinely nice and very helpful. I asked if there might be a room with a view and they upgraded us (complimentary) to a "parlor suite", a large corner room on the 39th floor with windows on two sides of the room facing the Hudson river on one side and Times Square on the other! The room is usually used as a meeting room so it is larger with a couch and two chairs along with a desk and two chairs. The bed is a queen sized Murphy bed that you pull down when you're ready. It was perfect as we had a friend that visited us and it felt like we were visiting in the living room and not a bedroom. The room was spotless and the mattress appeared to be brand new (I always check for bedbugs and there were no signs here!). There is a walk in shower (no tub) in the large bathroom. As mentioned by other reviewers, there is a flat screen TV, coffee maker, locked snack/liquor bar fridge & safe. We chose not to pay for room internet (it's free in the lobby) or for use of the exercise room. There is security at the elevators (someone in your party must have a room key) so I felt very safe with my kid. The only downside was a 3:30am fire alarm. Not wanting to take any chances we walked down all 39 (actually 38 - no 13th floor) floors to the lobby only to find out from a maintenance guy that there was no fire and it was safe to return to the room. I was amazed at how many people a) did not evacuate and b) took the elevator! I was also surprised that no one from the Sheraton staff was in the lobby to inform guests about status of the alarm. We had to ask the maintenance guy, but given that it was 3:30am there were probably only a few staff around anyway. Eventually they made an announcement over the intercom that it was safe to return to your room but by then we were already tucked back into our bed. I took one star off for not having free internet and for charging $3.25 per bag to check your bag downstairs after checkout (or before check in if your room was not ready). Other than that, our stay was excellent!

Room Tip: Request "parlor suite" if available and higher floor room for a view!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Devon C, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
This review has been addressed offline.
Lindenhurst, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this Sheraton with my Starwood discount and love every minute of it. The service from storing my luggage to check in to room service was amazing. Very polite and speedy. The room was very small but it's New York City I honestly didn't think they would be larger. I was on the 32nd floor and had a great view of the city. It was great for a one night stay. Only complaint I have is the elevators, they are so very noisy and shakey which worries me.

• Stayed November 2012
Ryan C,

There is nothing better than hearing that you loved every minute of your stay with us! Our staff works hard to make each and every guest experience a great one and we love know the effort paid off. It is great that you were able to stay in a room with a view, there is nothing else like it!
Prattville, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I was very nervous making a hotel selection in New York City...just the unknown! I had stayed away from Time Square once but this time wanted that experience. I started to go through Expedia but had problems booking two double rooms connected so I had to call the hotel directly. I got the most pleasant, helpful gentleman on the phone. Before I was done, he had found me the two rooms I needed at the most amazing price...he just kept working!! I thought...okay wow this must be a good sign. Then I read some of the negative comments about the hotel..just needed to see what it was people "didn't like." None of the comments were unbearable so I had my fingers crossed. From the time we walked into the doors of the Sheraton until the time we walked out to leave, we never experienced one "rude" employee...in fact, everytime we had a question or needed anything, we found them to be nothing but gracious to help. Checkin was excellent, conciege was so helpful, and housekeeping was great. The rooms on the 14th floor were superb..great size for New York City and the view out 7th Ave was good. Location could not have been better. Subway is right around the corner and you can walk to so much. Wicked show a couple blocks away was amazing!! If there is one thing to say that could be improved on it would be luggage check. We left our rooms and checked our luggage for two hours. When we returned they had misplaced two piece. We had to go back and try to find them. The room was very unorganized so to hotel management...that is the only area in my opinion you need to improve on.

Again...a remarkable experience!! Go and enjoy and do not worry!!!

Room Tip: 14th Floor, rooms 1402 and 1404...great rooms, great view, connected.
Lisa F,

Thank you for the great review. We appreciate your kind words regarding our employees, they do whatever they can to make each and every guest experience a great one. Our newly renovated guest rooms give us a whole new look and feel and we love hearing from our guests about them. We love getting feedback like yours! Come back and visit us soon.
Hollywood, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The Sheraton, built years ago as the Americana, is an ultralarge, convention dominated, excellent hotel. I've stayed here often and despite its size the staff do a great job of maintaining the rooms and public spaces. The location is fabulous if you are visiting from out of town and want to do the Times square and theatre district activities. The subway is a few blocks away and good food is steps from the front door of the hotel. I stayed here right after Hurricane Sandy and during the following Nor'easter and frankly none of this seem to have an impact on the hotels operation. The rooms themselves are a decent size and generally well appointed. The bathrooms are small but functional. The elevators split the hotel in two--1-28 and 29-50+...this works well, few waits etc. I particularly like the fitness club with its excellent equipment and spaciousness. This is a busy hotel with no sense of intimacy--but it works well.

Room Tip: The higher the better!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Seth G,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. There is nothing better than getting great positive feedback like yours. This year is our 50th Anniversary! Our staff worked hard through the hurricane and nor'easter to make sure operations went smoothly and guests were comfortable, it is wonderful to see that we succeeded. Come back for another stay soon!
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The location of the hotel in Manhattan is outstanding - walking distance to Times Square, Central Park. Couldn't have asked for a better spot for a hotel. All the staff with whom I interacted were quite friendly and helpful. One concierge I approached a couple of times to help with directions and advice was excellent. The room was a decent size, pretty much what I would expect for Manhattan. It wasn't big but not small either. It was clean, comfortable and quiet, so I couldn't ask for much more. I stayed on the Club Lounge level so I had access to that lounge. It was helpful for using the internet and grabbing a bottle of water. The snack selections were okay but I have seen better at other Sheraton hotels. Nevertheless, it was convenient to have access to this lounge. I didn't use any facilities within the hotel. However, my one complaint about the hotel - $15/day for wireless internet and $10/day to use the gym? When you're paying $300/night, it seemed excessive. Despite those drawbacks, I would stay here again. You can't beat the location and I found the room very comfortable.

Room Tip: Stay in the Club Lounge level.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
BrendanC_4,

Thank you for writing us a review. It is good to hear that our hotel met your needs and expectations during your stay. Our location, right in the heart of midtown is an ideal location for any traveler! We appreciate your kind words regarding our concierge, they are an essential part of our team. We hope you chose to stay with us on your next stay in NYC!
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed three nights after Hurricane Sandy. The front desk had kind of a long wait, but the representative was pleasant and helpful regarding what subways were operating, etc. The first day, our room was not cleaned despite our being out from 8am-5pm. I guess they may have been short-staffed because of the storm. When we called for clean towels and fresh coffee and shampoo, they brought a lot, but no one offered an explanation or apology. We called the next morning to make sure that the room would be cleaned that day. Overall room was clean and average size for a centrally-located hotel (about the same as the Hilton and larger than Club Quarters) in New York City. We were two adults and two young children, and didn't feel too cramped, although we didn't spend a lot of time in the room. Space was well utilized and bed comfort was average.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the end of the hall to avoid hallway noise.
Rachelsima,

Thank you for the review. On behalf of our team we apologize for the lack of attentiveness in regards to cleaning your room. Although we may have been short on staff we still should have worked to communicate this to you. Our signature Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds are very popular for how comfortable they are! Come back and visit again soon.

Been to Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel? Share your experiences!