“Pleasantly Surprised” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel to your Saves list
The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   790 7th Avenue at 51st Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Limited Offer Save 15%
Ranked #334 of 454 Hotels in New York City
Chicago
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

After reading some of the reviews here I was reticent to stay at the hotel but had gotten a good deal on the price so I took the chance for an Easter Weekend. We were very pleased with this hotel. Service was pleasant and helpful, location is fantastic. You can walk to any theater and an easy walk to Hell's Kitchen. The subway is just around the corner for other locations and it is such a short distance from Times Sq that any subway line is an option!

Our room was good sized with a king bed (seemed more like a queen) that was very comfortable., the room and the bathroom were always spotless (we stayed 3 nights) they had a coffee maker and a large flat screen TV and a very usable small safe in the closet. There was very little noise from outside or from the hallways. Granted the furnishings are a little dated but for the price and location I would definitely stay here again.

The only drawback was that at certain times the line waiting for the elevator in the lobby was very long but usually disappeared in a short time. It seems there was one elevator out of service and it made it hard sometimes to get an elevator that wasn't packed and stopping on every floor. This was a small inconvenience that has happened to me in many hotels in NYC so I wasn't all that bothered by it.

All in all I found it to be a great deal, very clean and an extremely convenient location.
Would definitely return.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Brendan M, General Manager at The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Dear Aguido,

Thank you for posting a positive review about your stay at the Hotel. We are delighted that you had a wonderful time at the Hotel and the service you received met your expectations. We appreciate your comments and look forward to your return.

Brendan Moraes-General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Worcester, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Thankfully, we only booked this hotel for one night. There is no way we could have stayed there any longer than we did. It was absolutely filthy and run down. There was a foul stench in the lobby, think cesspool. The staff was curt and not friendly at all. The hallway to our room was outdated, dank, and dimly lit, with scuff marks all over the walls. The room was a decent size for NYC but it was dingy and dirty. The windows were filthy, the air/heat didn't work. There were exposed electrical sockets that completely pushed into the wall when you plugged something in. Actually, most of the sockets in the room didn't work.

Don't even get me started on the bathroom. Disgusting! Mold and mildew around the sink and shower faucet. Mold and mildew all over the grout in the shower. Several hairs in the shower and grim and hair in the corners of the bathroom floor.

We were just looking for a place to lay our heads and spent very little time in the room but regardless, it was gross. Parking was also very expensive. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone and will most certainly never stay there again.

Stayed April 2014
Brendan M, General Manager at The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear A Lil bit,

Thank you for posting a review. We are concerned about your stay experience and would like the opportunity to communicate with you directly. Please contact me or any of the Managers on Duty on 212-581-3300 or via e-mail manhattangr@mtshotel.com

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

When I had first looked for rooms, this was $300 a night. I ended up paying half of that. If I hadn't, I would have felt more upset. The location of this hotel is great. I felt three of the four rooms my family stayed in were very big for NYC. The staff was all very pleasant and helpful. We were checked into our two rooms which were requested as two double beds around four. They only had king rooms available, but assured us a roll away would be delivered immediately. In spite of the fact that I had pay more then my companions for a "deluxe" room, my room was much smaller and the window was on level with active construction on a hotel terrace. At 9 pm I brought my two kids back to the room to sleep. Neither room received a roll away. Housekeeping said that were very sorry but hadn't gotten the request from the front desk. It would be up quickly. Half an hour later they called and said the elevator was broken, but they were fixing it. At ten, I called and was moved to a room with two beds. My mother waited for her roll away until 12, then switched rooms.

Stayed April 2014
Dear Uoprincess,

Thank you for posting a review. We appreciate the feedback provided and apologize that your stay experience was average. We hope to have another opportunity to redeem ourselves should your travels bring you back to New York.

Worcester, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

We had a groupon and were super excited to stay in NYC for 120, right in the center of it all. That is the only pleasant thing I can say about this hotel. While waiting to check in the gentleman in front of us asked about parking, and he was answered with I can't tell you were to park, there is parking everywhere, you are in NY. As we got up there we weren't even greeted with a smile. We got off the elevator and the carpet looks like it hasn't been vacuumed in a week and the walls a disgustingly dirty. The room was worse, again filthy walls windows with finger prints all over it. The tub looks like it was never cleaned and you know when you don't clean the sink for a while and there are gross mildew rings around the knobs? Yup there were there. Never again!!! Stay away from this gross hotel!!!

• Stayed April 2014
Dear NellieG2002,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We appreciate your comments and want you to know that our guest feedback is used to help us improve our processes and services to afford a better stay experience for future guests. Please let us know if there anything we can do to make up for your unfavorable experience at the Hotel by contacting me or any of the Managers on Duty on 212-581-3300 or via e-mail manhattangr@mtshotel.com

south
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Four night stay in mid April. Be aware that this building can have either all air conditioning or all heating. We were not made aware of this at booking. When we arrived, our room was hot and stuffy. The forecast was in the 70s for our stay. We called for repair and were told that the building would not be switched over to air conditioning for another week or two, and they could come open our windows. Maintenance came, but the windows are blocked to only be allowed to open about 6 inches. We requested fans and were given one small fan. The manager said we should try to stay at least one night, and they would work with us the next day if we still wanted to check out. We called several hotels, and they were all booked. We stayed, it was warm in the room that night, and very uncomfortable showering and blowdrying our hair in the morning. The bathroom was like a little oven.
Pros: *Good location
*Nice remodeled lobby includes 3 nice pcs for free(limited) use, comfortable chairs, lots of power strips to charge your phones
*Coffee/snack bar in lobby
*Friendly bellhop, concierge, etc
*room is good size for NY
Cons:* no air conditioning
*very worn and dated room
*bathroom wasn't clean (mildew, leaky, stains on tile)
I would not stay here again, but we made the best of it with a positive attitude. Our last night, the temperature dropped to freezing. The room was still stuffy.

Room Tip: Check if you will be on air conditioning or heat and determine if you could do without it. Street n...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Brendan M, Front Office Manager at The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Southernskiier,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are disappointed to know that you did not enjoy your stay at the Hotel and apologize for our inability to meet your expectations. Please know your comments were shared with the team in an effort to correct and improve our service delivery for future guest stays. We hope that you give us another opportunity to better serve you should you travel back to New York.

Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

This was our third visit to this hotel, now under new management. Our room was dusty and dirty, sheets were clean but had holes. I could write my name in the dust on the desk. Housekeeper took dirty face cloth after day 1, but never replaced it. Heat in our room was hard to take. I was told by the front desk staff that air conditioning would be provided later in the week and they would put a fan in our room until then. Of course that did not happen and we were lied to. With the windows open and the cooler temperatures we were able to cope. However, Broadway is noisy and you had to sleep with the traffic sounds. Hair dryer did not work but was replaced. Bath room taps sprayed water everywhere and made everything on the counter wet from water. No hotel services publications in the room, and only one pad of paper that was fairly old and scribbled on with 2 sheets of paper left. I'm afraid that for this Canadian, I expect more when traveling. What was once an average acceptable hotel in a prime location, is now merely a motel with several floors. The lobby has been re-done but the rooms have been left to age and decay. Elevators are filthy and scary. Handrails in one elevator are broken off and not replaced. Very misleading as the website shows different pictures. Lastly, what I most appreciated about this hotel was the security. Security staff always checked for guest keys before allowing you to enter the elevator lobby. Now no one cares, anyone could enter the hotel and go up to the floors. As I said, sadly I will take my business elsewhere and will not return. Take my advice, spend a little more and go to a better hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Brendan M, General Manager at The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear Audrey C,

Thank you for posting a review. We apologize for the unpleasant stay experience you had and would like to know if there is anything we can do to regain your confidence and trust. Please contact me or any of the Managers on Duty on 212-581-3300 or via e-mail, manhattangr@mtshotel.com as winning back your loyalty is important to us.

Newburgh, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

I booked a room with two double beds, non-smoking for one night on April 13. The
hotel itself is coveniently located a couple blocks away from Times Square. Upon entering the hotel, there was a very bad odor in the lobby. It smelled liked bathrooms that have not been cleaned in days. We would not have fussed about it if it was not humid or hot that day. Anyway, we were able to get into our assigned room earlier than what check-in time was. We had arrived an hour before check-out so we were very thankful we were able to leave our luggage in the room. Check-in itself was quick and quiet. We were given room 2117. The room itself was OK, but very hot. I tried to put on the room's air conditioner, so when we came back, it would be a bit more cooler. We left our hotel around noon and came back around one in the morning. The room was still hot when we returned from the concert we attended. We decided to open the windows, which were not much because they have small stoppers, to get a bit of fresh air. We tried taking a shower but the water pressure was very low, and the tub drained very slow. We did not contact management about the issue considering it was very late. On a positive note, the beds were very comfortable! I was beyond exhausted and even though I only slept for six hours, It felt as if I slept for nine. At check-out, we informed the front desk clerk about the issues we had and he was very kind and apologized for the inconveniance. Overall, our stay was acceptable.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Adi0915,

Thank you for posting a review. We appreciate your feedback and would like the opportunity to redeem ourselves should your travels bring you back to the city.

Brendan Moraes-General Manager

Been to The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel? Share your experiences!