“Very Disapointed!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel

You added The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel to your Saves list
The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   790 7th Avenue at 51st Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Limited Offer Save 15%
Ranked #336 of 459 Hotels in New York City
“Very Disapointed!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We checked in after the long drove from home to found out that the toilet was leaking. The room was smelly. They changed a new room for us. The key cards didn't work. My husband had to go down at the lobby 3 times to ask for a new keys. Finally they sent security to open the door for us. They promised to fix it in the next day. The next day after we got back from a long day touring and walking in the city... It was around 5.30pm. The door hadn't been fixed. I am pregnant. My mother is almost 60. We were so tired. My husband had to go back downstair and get a security to open the door. Finally we got to the room. Nobody came and clean our room. They said they would sent somebody to fix the door now( which they should have done it while we were out for 8-9hours) and i didn't want that because we were too tired. We needed to rest at the time.while my mom and I were resting My husband went downstair asking for a new room and explained to them that we were so tired we would like to rest first and we would move to the new room. They were ok with it.While My husband went ahead to make sure that the new room was ok , a lady manager knocked on my door asking me and my mom to move now. I tried to explain that we were extremely exhausted . She said you have to move because they wanted to clean and sell the room. How cruel they were. Finally we got a new room and we found out later that night arround 1 in the mornig that the AC didn't work. It was around 76F• in the room. I called and asked for help. The front desk said he would send somebody there. Waiting more than 20 mins nobody show up. My husband got back from a party so he went downstairs asking for help.He came back said they will fix it tomorrow because the whole building was out of AC. I called again talked to the front desk asking why didn't he call me back to inform that he was not going to send anybody to fix it tonight instead of apologizing he told me that he was about to send somebody but my husband didn't want anyone to come in the room. That was a lie.. He told me why didn't I open the windows. Hello I am in the middle of one of the busiest city... Imagine how much noise it would have. The point is I didn't feel like they handle the salutations very well. They were not sincerely and the building was too old and smelly . The service was bad. Spend more somewheresle instead of saving a little and have to waste half of your fun time with this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Hyderabad, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

This hotel is very good in terms of location, comfort, cleanliness and overall standards. It is at the heart of Times Square in New York City and many shopping centers are located nearby. The staff are good. The lobby seems to be very small for the size of this building considering the number of guests staying there. The hotel has a bell desk and concierge service. Again staff are friendly.
The waiters at it's restaurant - Russo are attentive and have presence of mind. The layout of this restaurant is very good and I like it. The tables are wood and seats are very comfortable.. Food is in generous portions,

Any hotel which has the best staff is good for the stay, so here the staff were caring and polite. I'd love to come back to this hotel some other day..

very enjoyable..

Room Tip: comfortable beds.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

21 floors of tired looking 1950's style motel rooms, with poor service and false advertising: you know, where they say there's a pool but you get there and it is "under maintenance" and you ask around and the pool has been "under maintenance" for weeks? So, you already know you paid too much for facilities that aren't available because you choose this one out of the hundred you could pick from because it had a pool (which, by the way, wasn't operative when you booked though you wouldn't know that from the web site).. Then you get a bill on check-out when you've prepaid which you confirmed at check in and you are told "oh, we're sorry, we have a new data system" but you really feel that they are only correcting it because you caught it. So many choices in NY: don't make this one.

Room Tip: choose another hotel is my best advice
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I normally wouldn't have gone to such an expensive hotel but I found a deal for the 3rd night free. I haven't stayed in other hotels in New York. The accommodations were alright, everything was clean, nothing was too old or dated. the one thing that I really noticed was the every time I walked into the elevator it had a strong smell of shampoo or some sort of cleaning product, which is good cause it shows that they were cleaning it. The rooms were a good size. There is no wifi in the rooms, you have to go to the lobby to use the internet but you have time limits on the usage. If you are also a starwood preferred guest (spg) member- you can get free breakfast in the morning as well.

BEST thing about this hotel is its LOCATION!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Germantown, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I have only two nice things to stay, so I will start there:
1) good location with friendly staff and
2) the beds are comfortable (they still have Sheraton beds, although they are no longer a Sheraton hotel)

The Bad:
1) The a/c didn't work in the rooms. Not only in my room, but also in the three other rooms management and the hotel engineer (very friendly men) brought me to consider as alternatives. First, they tried to give me a whole song and dance about the motors, how long it takes them to kick in, etc. When they realized I knew about the inner workings of an HVAC (these old units look like thoseinstalled in the 1970's/80's), they admitted that many of them just don't function properly. I guess I should be grateful it was October and not June. After two requests for a fan, they brought me one and told me to open the windows on the 21st floor.

2) The tub and sink were blocked up and the Front Desk and Reception wouldn't answer calls from rooms, so after my first shower, I did not get another one, as the tub was half full for the remainder of my stay). Gross.

3)We checked in on October 1, Sheraton dumped this hotel, effective October 2 and our checkout was October 3. Chaos enused. The internet never worked (except in the lobby), the front desk could not provide a receipt on checkout because they no longer had access to my reservation. I was told to call Sheraton and do the legwork myself. Folios were not provided under room doors, so everyone had to stand in line to check out (at times, there were 20+ parties in line and never more than two people working the desk).

Summary: This is an old, rundown hotel, with ownership that clearly was unwilling to conform to Sheraton standards, and was then kicked out of the Sheraton/Starwood brand. The carpets are old and stained, the bathrooms tiny, the amenities barely acceptable, the furniture aged/beaten and the plumbing/utilities decrepit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

The hotel has a great location, rooms are a bit small but clean, if you are going NY to enjoy the city, you should try The manhattan Time square. It was a good, clean, comfortable hotel. There is no wi-fi in the rooms.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Halifax, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

My wife and I stayed in this DUMP for three nights from September 28th to Oct 1st. We checked into a dirty room that had not been vacuumed with a bathroom that smelled like urine. There were also several hairs in the tub. They tried to mask the smell with air freshener, however, all that did was make the room smell like urine and flowered scented air freshener. I insisted they move us to a clean room - which was slightly better, but still not vacuumed properly. We were traveling with friends who's room was in the same awful condition. The Hotel in general is tired and needs updating. The carpets are worn, the paint is peeling, the elevators are slow (with worn out panels) and there is mildew in the bathrooms. There is no room service. All this for only $350 per night (plus tax). We immediately went in search of another place to stay in the area, but with no luck as it was the weekend and everything was booked - so we were stuck here for three nights. I travel a lot for work and have stayed in everything from budget motels to luxury downtown hotels - this hotel is the worst place I have every stayed. Since we were in beautiful New York City and there is so much to see and do, we rarely spent time in our hotel rooms and refused to let this awful place ruin our getaway weekend. The only thing this place has going for it is the location - very convenient between Central Park and Times Square - also, the bed was comfortable and the mattress looked newer. We had a great time visiting New York and plan to go back soon - but we will NOT be staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: DO NOT STAY HERE...the three rooms I saw needed a good cleaning and upgrading.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel? Share your experiences!