“Great Family Weekend!” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great Family Weekend!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

We stayed in a 1-room suite (4 adults and a 1 year old). The room was very spacious, clean and met our needs. The concierge was very helpful when planning outings with a toddler and Raymond, the bellhop, was wonderful in assisting us with renting a car and driver for the day. Overall, I would recommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
DREPAUL, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear heartvacation,

Thank you for your kind review. As you noted, Affinia Shelburne has a reputation for our superior, customized customer service and I am so happy that you had a positive experience with our staff. I will be sure to relay your accolades to both the concierge and our stellar bellman, Raymond. I am so happy that you and your family had an opportunity to enjoy all that our hotel and New York have to offer. Lastly, I am thrilled that you noted and enjoyed our clean and spacious rooms.

Your comfort is of the utmost importance to us and I hope you and your family return soon!

George Drepaul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
  • Turkish first
London, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

Location is what draws me to this property, but service and friendly staff will bring me back. Rooms are comfortable, public transportation easily accessible, and doorman will secure a taxi in no time. The on site restaurant seems pricey for our visit with a small child, but other options (eg Bagel Express) nearby.
I do have a gripe when in-room internet is extra, but it won't stop me from returning as prices are reasonable for accommodation here

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

DREPAUL, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear jetgirl-9,

You’ve made our day with your glowing comments! I can’t thank you enough for choosing to stay with us and sharing your experience with others on Tripadvisor. Our team provides genuine and attentive service unlike any other hotel in our area. Combine our unwavering commitment to helping our guests make the most of their visit to NYC and you have the recipe for a wonderful hotel experience. The location of our hotel is nestled in Murray Hill which has an authentic NYC residential feel to it. We are close to Grand Central and plenty of great shopping and restaurants too. I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

Now admittedly we got a very good rate on this hotel thanks to my partner being a travel agent.
But that being said, I actually wouldn't object to paying the usual room rate for this hotel, because it really was lovely.

The location is great, a short walk to Grand Central Station, easy walk to Empire State Building, Macy's, Madison Square Garden.

Our room was a good size - certainly the biggest room I've ever stayed in NYC. The shower really was incredible - the shower head was the size of a dinner plate, and the water pressure was amazing. It was exactly what we needed after almost 24 hours flying to NY from Australia.

Probably my only complaint is that it is a bit dark and depressing looking in the lobby area, but that's a pretty minor issue really!

I would absolutely stay at this hotel again.
I'd recommend it for anyone wanting to stay in the midtown area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
DREPAUL, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
Dear Michelle T,

Thank you for your lovely review! As you indicated, Affinia Shelburne is beautifully located in the residential area of Murray Hill. While our location provides serenity away from the immediate ‘buzz’ of NYC, we are only a few minutes away from Grand Central Station, the Empire State Building, Madison Square Garden, Broadway theatre, and famed 5th Avenue shopping! I am thrilled that you enjoyed our notably larger rooms and customized customer service.

I hope to welcome you back again soon!

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

the hotel was clean and pleasant and the rooms a good size with full length mirror and luggage rack . Bathroom amenities lacking with insufficient soap, no shower cap, everything was in working order and service efficient but not over the top. the cleaning staff were loud and noisy in the hallway on the weekend mornings .

Dear rosenswig,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with family this month! Our rooms are larger than most NYC apartments and are impeccably clean. Every room comes standard with useful amenities like an iron and ironing board, a safe and a luggage rack. We do offer shower caps and cutlery upon request. I apologize if there was noise in the hallway outside your down that disturbed you. We reviewed this as a team and we are thankful and better off due to your remarls full or your feedback.

Grand Rapids, Mi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

The staff at Affinia Shelburne were amazing! They made us feel like special guests. The room was spacious and the hotel's location was wonderful. We enjoyed the evening cocktail hour and would stay here again without question.

Dear Mrs. Debbie M,

Thank you for your radiant remarks! You’ve made our day by recognizing our staff for their genuine and attentive customer service efforts. Our evening Wine Hour happens daily at 5pm in our spacious Lobby with plenty of great music and a modern atmosphere to liven up your night. It’s a perfect opportunity to meet other guests and make lasting connections with folks from around the world. Our location is ideal and we are just a few blocks from Grand Central to the north and the Empire State Building to the south. Our Roof Top is always open and is perfect for capturing some photos of the Midtown skyline. Rare View Roof Top Bar reopens in May, but join us on the roof for a picture under the Empire State Building.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Clean spacious quiet room in a great location in Manhattan. It took us less than 20 min. to walk back to the hotel from Barrymore theater in Time Square. Other positives include the RARE Bar and Grill restaurant (not a particularly common amenity in a boutique hotel in Manhattan), which we thought was very good and reasonably priced. It also serves breakfast, also surprisingly reasonably priced for Manhattan. Two breakfast entrees with juice and coffee cost me and my wife about $30 for both of us. Food we ordered for both dinner and breakfast was delicious and served promptly. The only two relatively minor negatives for me were lower than desired water pressure in the shower and small bath towels. On the whole, we already booked this hotel again for a family new year New York trip in a couple of weeks.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
DREPAUL, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear Robertopuerto,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us on Tripadvisor! I am delighted that you had such a great time and have already booked your next stay! Our team loves to hear when our guests give us the privilege of being their destination of choice in NYC. Our hotel is situated in walking distance to Times Square, Central Park, Grand Central and the Empire State Building. Rare Bar and Grill is delicious and their atmosphere is fun and inviting to eat in. I will certainly look into the water pressure with our maintenance team to be sure that we are operating at full available pressure everywhere in the building. Your comfort and enjoyment are everything to us. Please email me in advance of your arrival at gdrepaul@affinia.com so I can confirm your arrival and save you a seat at Wine Hour!

Petersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Our first time at this hotel and we had an enjoyable stay. The only slight negative would be the decor which tends towards the bland, but I didn't come to New York to sit in my hotel room gazing at the wallpaper.
Good points are many.
It's position - an easy walk to Grand Central.
Our room, 913, was quiet, well cared for and clean.
Our bed was very comfortable and the linen was of good quality.
The shower did an excellent job.
And the staff were great, friendly and helpful.
What more do you want from a hotel?
And it's a couple of doors a way from Lucid Cafe, suppliers of possibly the best cappuccino in New York!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
DREPAUL, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Julia L,

Thank you for your kind response! . I am happy to hear that you enjoyed all that the location of Affinia Shelburne has to offer. Located in the residential area of Murray Hill, our hotel’s location is peaceful but is considerably close to 5th Avenue shopping, Broadway theatre and Grand Central Station highlights. Our staff takes great pride in the care and cleanliness of the rooms and I thrilled that you noticed this while staying in room 913. Our team strongly believes in customized customer service and aims to go above and beyond to create a comfortable surrounding for our guests. Thank you for recognizing our team. There are many great boutiques and eateries in the area and I am happy that you had the opportunity to taste the cappuccino at Lucid Café. Absolutely delicious!

Thank you, again, for choosing Affinia Shelburne as your travel destination and I hope to see you again upon your next visit to New York City.

George Drepaul

Been to Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel? Share your experiences!