“Affinia” 4 of 5 stars

Free Night!
Ranked #90 of 459 Hotels in New York City
“Affinia”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We enjoyed staying here. It was nice and so convenient to all of our sites we visited. Would recommend this hotel to friends and family. Great view of Empire State Building! Close Grand Central Station

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

DREPAUL, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Ronald S,

The gift of your recommendation is genuinely appreciated especially a recommendation you are giving to your closest friends and family! I am so pleased that you had such a great stay and will return next time you visit NYC. Our staff will be waiting with smiles.

George Drepaul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We were greatly warmly by the front desk staff at the Affinia Shelburne Hotel. The location was great for theatre and dinner. I would definetly return to this hotel. The staff was friendly and knowledgable. Our room was clean, comfortable and quiet.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Mr. Z,

Wonderful to hear that your stay went so well. I am glad you left us with fond memories and I hope you will return soon to catch another show in the nearby theater district. Our staff eagerly awaits your return and appreciates your kind words.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Easy to get to from JFK by taxi. Location great for Herald Square, Times Square, museums, UNIS, ....subway and Grand Centeal close by. Very helpful staff. Accommodating when room needed changing to have a walk-in shower.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Dear Mr. Randy R,

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and found our location so convenient! There is so much to see and do in and around our Murray Hill location, and when you want to get around we're just steps from Grand Central. Thank you for appreciating our staff in your review.

Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I'm now wary of hotels that have a high tripadvisor rating but when you look closely you find a large percentage of the 5 star reviews are 'one-offs' (ie. the reviewer's one and only contribution) and in the case of the Shelburne they are mostly identified towards the bottom as "review collected in partnership with this hotel". I stayed there for 9 nights and was not approached or emailed to write a review.

My first 2 nights in a one bed Guest Room, I would rate 2 stars. The bed was super comfortable and the room was large. But beware if you score the 2nd floor, you may end up with a window that looks out to a grotty courtyard full of building materials with the only light is coming from 16 storeys above (so no natural light) - after 24 hours in transit, I really needed natural light to help me adjust to the time zone. Poor water pressure and luke warm water, bathroom and corridor were grubby. If the hotel was upfront about the variation in room quality, I could opt to pay more for what I want.

I then had booked a One bedroom Deluxe Suite with 2 beds for the following week for myself and my daughter. This I would rate much higher - 4 stars when taking into account the overall hotel experience. It was a really good size, two super comfy Queen size beds, excellent shower and water pressure and lots of light. The room was on the 14th floor facing the street - with a view of the Empire State building.

This hotel looks and sounds great on the website - and it's ok. Good location, safe area. I found the service average though. Despite their 'smile' policy, I saw few. Renata is certainly an exception and the women providing drinks at happy hour were lovely. Nothing is clear and definite here - the room prices are different every night, if you ask for anything specific - change of room, room looking towards the street - they won't commit and you have to keep ringing and 'begging'. The kitchenette is great but you have to ask for a kitchen set, even then you only get the basics. I had to ask again for a kettle and a tea towel. Why aren't these in the room?

The hotel was renovated a few years ago but in a style that, to me, looks tired. The foyer is dark and crowded because there is only free wifi in the lobby. The lifts are slow, small, dark and not air-conditioned. The important things - sheets, bathroom, etc - are mostly clean but the windows, sills, shelves, lamps etc., could do with a good wipe down, the settee cushions were stained and the furniture is chipped.

I was fortunate to find a different hotel for my last 4 nights in New York that was cheaper but offered everything that the Shelburne promises plus free WiFi in every room, free printing for guests (Shelburne charges $5.95 for 15 minutes on computers in the lobby and extra for printing!), fast, air-conditioned lifts, bright, light and immaculately clean rooms. See my other review.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room looking out towards the street - it's worth a try.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Jenstar,

I appreciate your feedback and would really like an opportunity to talk to you directly about your stay. I hope that you will contact me directly at gdrepaul@affinia.com. I am glad that you did enjoy your stay overall. Thank you for recognizing Renata she is terrific.

San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I cannot rate this hotel highly enough. I thought the staff were amazing. They make you feel very comfortable in the hotel and are very friendly and genuine in conversation. The rooftop bar although a little expensive is a great plus. I used the bikes (free) over the weekend and enjoyed cycling to Central Park. The Rare restaurant attached is very good and a great meeting point. There are many nice cafe options nearby...the one we used mostly was Delectica. I would highly recommend this hotel for your visit to New York.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear SFrocks,

We are very thankful to be at the top of your list for places to stay in NYC. I am so glad you enjoyed our Republic custom made bikes and the rooftop. You can always expect authentic service from our staff.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Lovely Hotel. Rooftop bar brilliant and seems popular with young and old. The Empire State Building is in the back garden! Staff pleasant and rare restaurant great, popular which means a good atmosphere

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

DREPAUL, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Jane M,

I am so glad you found our hotel to your satisfaction and made the most of our spectacular roof top! You are right about the Empire State Building being within reach and makes for great photos. Rare Bar & Grill does an amazing job with their restaurant and rooftop bar, we have a great partnership. Please return soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

My high school girlfriends and I just enjoyed a fabulous 4 night stay in your hotel. From the time we arrived on Thursday morning until we left Sunday afternoon we could not have been happier with our accommodations (we stayed slumber party style in your VERY spacious 1 bedroom suite) or the way we were treated by the staff! We spent the weekend exploring the city, taking a tap dance class at The Broadway Dance Center, seeing Broadway shows and trying new restaurants. I am a dental hygienist back here in Kansas City and I have spent the past week raving to my friends and patients about what a wonderful hotel the Shelburne is! I am trying to plan another trip to NYC soon so that I can stay there again! I have stayed several places in NYC and this hotel is my hands down favorite!
I will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

DREPAUL, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Mrs. L Kim A,

Your review is something to rave about with all of our associates here at the hotel and with the whole tripadvisor community! Thank you so much for your glowing remarks they mean a lot to us coming from someone who lives in the Midwest where you all are world famous for your own amazing hospitality. You and your close friends are welcome to return anytime.

George Drepaul

Been to Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel? Share your experiences!