“Close to the subway” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #89 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Australia
“Close to the subway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Big rooms, clean and reasonably quiet, though the hotel appears to be a little worn and tired - could probably do with a freshening up . in terms of location its a short walk to the Grand Central subway.
Staff are very polite and happy to assist with anything at all.
When we arrived we were allocated a suit on the 5th floor, the bathroom required us to be a contortionist to use and as we are in the more mature years of our lives we asked if there was a more suitable room available. The staff were fantastic and relocated us immediately.
At one stage the lights in our bathroom stopped working as did a lamp and the clock radio, when we reported these to reception, there was no fuss, and by the time we returned to our room, all were fixed.
Like others, the only complaint i have is that you need to pay $14,95 a day for WiFi unless you go down to the lobby. We stayed there for 10 nights and after a full day of activities, its not pleasant to have to sit in a crowded lobby full of people on their laptops and iPads to Skype family back home.

Room Tip: Make sure you check the bathroom so that you don't need to be a contortionist. Also the higher y...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
DREPAUL, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear 3Aussies2110,

You are absolutely right about our convenient location being close to so many transportation options including: 4/5/6, S and Metro North trains at Grand Central, Penn Station, East River Ferry, FDR Drive and the Midtown Tunnel. Our goal is to exceed your expectations, so I am pleased that you were offered a room transfer, when you were not totally satisfied. Our guestroom WiFi is available as part of several packages and booking promotions available. For your next reservation, please consider booking one of our TLC packages that includes WiFi in our guestrooms. I invite you to return again soon and join me for Winer Hour at 5pm.

George Drepaul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
  • Turkish first
Swindon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Stayed here for a "sisters" long weekend birthday celebration. We couldn't have chosen better! The staff are lovely, helpful and so pleasant without being over bearing. Beautiful room with views of The Empire State Building that was clean and modern with excellent facilities. Walk to Times Square in 15mins, Empire State in 5mins,you really couldn't have a nicer hotel in an excellent location for a trip to New York. We will definitely be staying there again.

Room Tip: Higher floors at the front will give you the Empire State Building view.
Dear Madeleine S,

Your review is phenomenal! I am delighted that you had such a wonderful long weekend birthday celebration with us. Our location is excellent for travelers looking to be close to Time Square, Empire State Building, Grand Central and more. We will keep you minutes from the sites but you’ll feel miles away being tucked quietly away in Murray Hill. I hope on your next visit we can meet at Wine Hour.

Horsens, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

This was our first trip to New York, so I really wasn't sure where we should stay. But I'm so glad that we ended up in Murray Hill. The area is great; a bit less touristy, but with plenty of restaurants and easy walking distance to many of the attractions that NY has to offer.

We stayed at the Affinia Shelburne, for 5 nights. The size of the room was very good, especially as we had asked for a cot for our 11 month old daughter. The staff were very helpful and friendly; especially on reception. I see that the previous reviewer complained about lack of Internet in the room (unless you pay) - yes it's annoying, but the WiFi in the reception area was perfectly good for our needs and had good download speeds.

A few tips; breakfast in Rare was very good, so really recommendable. If you want to eat at Rare for dinner, probably best to book a table in advance.
Also, if you like italian food, head to Fagiolini. They have 2 restaurants; one at 334 Lexington Avenue and the other at the cover of 40th. We ate at both and had excellent food and service - but the Lexington avenue is slightly cheaper as it's not white table cloths etc.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
DREPAUL, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear GsyGirl_81,

I am delighted that you selected our hotel for your first visit to NYC. Our purpose is to help you make the most of your visit to NYC. Our friendly and attentive service will ensure your expectations are exceeded and our clean and spacious guestrooms will relax and recharge you for the next NYC adventure that is just a few minutes from our front door. Our Lobby is a versatile space where our guests can enjoy complimentary WiFi, our new evening Wine Hour and plenty of comfortable seating with a great modern vibe. I invite you to return soon.

sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Very good hotel in a nicwe location, especially if you want to be close to tings but still have little of neighbourhood feel. big rooms for new york standards, and reasonably quiet. Clean and tidy. 4 blocks to subway with good connections. My big gripe is around wifi. More and more hotels are learning that wifi is not a commodity, it is a neccesity and seen as a Normal part of the hotel experience. It should not be seena as a means to squeeze more money form guests. $14,95 a day is not acceptable. We stayed there for 4 nights and if i had paid that it would have cost more for 4 nights then i pay for a month for my home broadband... . It is not enough that it is available in the lobby. This in turn makes the lobby a not nice plae to be. Packed with people on their laptops, and most often more then 1 person skyping loudly.
Service is good at reception, however concierege was only ok, could be more informative, informed and better attitude. Still, if you get a good offer i would reccommend.

Room Tip: we were on 10 and that was fine. stay away form lifts.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear edtdeni,

Your review is very gracious and I appreciate the time you took to highlight what made your stay so positively memorable. Our rooms are certainly spacious; in fact they are larger than most NYC apartments. Our location is superb if you want to be close to the sights but not sounds of NYC! Our guestroom WiFi is available as part of several packages and promotions available at the time of booking our hotel. Please consider our TLC packages that include WiFi in our guestrooms. I hope to welcome you back soon for a future visit.

Harrogate England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

OK , it was a bit naughty not to mention pre arrival ,the scaffolding work going on and some building noise after 9.00AM Mondays- Fridays. And when will the roof top bar open again?
BUT- It was an excellent hotel for our 8 day holiday - we had a one bed deluxe (couple + 19 year old son) and was really impressed with the size of the accommodation- the massive queen bed , 2 TV's(if needed!) and good sized bathroom + little kitchen area with microwave .
Of real credit to the hotel are the staff- every member of staff including all the domestics we bumped into were really friendly and polite - Hotel is nice and clean and well maintained and a free glass of wine 5.00 - 6.00 weekdays is a nice touch. Did not eat at Rare Bar though it is very busy- so must be fine.
Another huge plus is its location and we particularly enjoyed the East River Ferry that is 10 min walk from the hotel and takes you as far as Wall Street Terminal , stopping at Williamsburg and DUMBO. The hotel is also close to the fantastic Grand Central Terminal , the excellent Morgan Library/Museum and the interesting, though run down, United Nations Buildings.
New York is great but I would not have liked to have stayed in the very touristy places eg Times Square- going back to Murray Hill was always a pleasant relaxing feel about it.
Great restaurants, coffee bars & supermarkets (Degastinos) nearby
Excellent Hotel !

Room Tip: We stayed in 1209- you still hear traffic noise but this is New York!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
DREPAUL, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear cagedavid,

Thank you for an amazing tip of your hat. Your review is splendid! Please note the rooftop closure is a temporary situation as we work to fix a few things on the exterior as required by law. It will soon reopen to delight our guests with amazing views. The East River Ferry is a terrific way to see new waterfront sites like the Dumbo pier in Brooklyn and views of the Brooklyn Bridge and NY Harbor. The East River Ferry terminal on 34th Street and the riverfront is a short walk from the hotel. Our Deluxe accommodations feature kitchenettes that will give our guests the flexibility to entertain or prepare their next meal before heading out for another NYC adventure.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Hotel Affinia Shelburne was just fabulous.
The staff were so helpful, the rooms were clean and spacious and the hotel itself was in perfect condition.
The rooftop bar was one of the highlights of my stay in Manhattan, it was breathtaking.
The affinia shelburne is in the heart of the city, a short walk away from Grand Central Station and the Empire State Building.
I would definitely go back, as this is one of the most beautiful hotels I have stayed in for years.
I strongly recommend the Affinia to any families travelling to New York.
The staff were helpful for those who are unfarmiliar with the city, giving tips on restaurants and tourist attractions.
The Affinia Shelbune is perfect

Room Tip: opt for a 'suite' with a kitchen and two bedrooms. It is almost a small appartment.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Louise B,

I am thrilled that you came to tripadvisor to share your experience from last summer. Please note the rooftop’s current closure is a temporary situation as we work to fix a few things on the exterior as required by law. When the work is done, you will be able to once again enjoy the spectacular views and open air lounge. I hope that you will be joining us again soon to enjoy our new Wine Hour that is hosted each evening in the Lobby. Our staff is here to delight our customers as soon as you walk through the doors we can't wait to welcome you back.

Wollongong, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I recently stayed at the Affinia Shelburne for 2 weeks and I could not have been happier with my choice. Not knowing the Affinia chain, I chose this hotel mainly when I noticed the room size from pictures and reviews- this was a definite requirement of mine considering the amount of time I'd be spending there and amount of shopping that would be stored- I was far from disappointed. The rooms were HUGE and very very comfortable.
The hotel was well maintained, the location was fabulous and the staff were wonderful. I'd particularly like to mention that the service I received was outstanding. Every staff member that I encountered from the minute I checked in to checking out 2 weeks later was fantastic. They were all welcoming, helpful and made you feel like a friend.
Other facilities, including Rare Bar and Grill, internet in the foyer, wine tasting at 5pm, concierge services, etc were all beyond my expectations.
I will definitely be recommending the Affinia Shelburne to everyone that travels to New York and I hope to return one day in the not too distant future.
Thanks Affinia Shelburne for making my time in New York that bit more special

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Reenie312,

I want to express my sincere gratitude to you for choosing our hotel for the first time for a trip of 2 weeks in NYC. We realize you have a choice when coming to NYC and that is exactly why we have assembled a team of amazing hospitality professionals to give life to our conveniently located hotel that features spacious guestrooms that are bigger that most NYC apartments! I really do hope that you will return in the near future and I can have a chance to introduce myself at our new evening Wine Hour hosted in the Lobby.

George Drepaul

Been to Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel? Share your experiences!