“Best NYC Hotel experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Free Night!
Ranked #90 of 459 Hotels in New York City
british Columbia
“Best NYC Hotel experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I have been to NY many times and stayed at A LOT of different hotels! But none were as pleasant of an experience as the Affinia. I will no longer need to search for a hotel for my next visit to the city! I dont even know where to start; The front dest staff were super friendly and professional, assisted with luggage etc and answered all my questions! Not to mention they let me check in early!!! that alone does not happen often in the city. The room was VERY SPACIOUS and SUPER CLEAN! i had a double room with 2 double beds and for 4 of us there was plenty of space. The housekeeping staff were prompt, efficient and friendly! The most amazing thing was that the nights were QUIET away from the noise of the city! again i have never had a decent nights sleep in any other hotel in Manhattan! So this alone is enough reason for me to return. The location is great, walking distance to many city attractions (shopping, central park, grand central station, NY library, Madison sq gardens etc etc). Did i mention they let us check out late as well? ohhhhhh!! and the mattresses and pillows were VERY COMFORTABLE!!! its great for a good rest after walking the city for hours during the day! I highly recommend this hotel for anyone visiting NYC that is looking for a nice, chic, clean, friendly, not too expensive hotel. Will definitely return!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
DREPAUL, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Joonbugz,

Our staff is raving about your review! Our focus is to be your destination of choice in NYC and when I read that you, “will no longer need to search for a hotel for my next visit to the city,” I was ecstatic! All of our room categories offer generous amounts of space and comfort and are impeccably clean with modern furnishings and design to enhance the experience of your stay. Our convenient location is close to Grand Central, Madison Square Garden, Bryant and Central Parks, and fabulous shopping. Our newest value added amenity is our exciting Wine Hour, which we just launched in April. We offer a complimentary selection of outstanding wines each weeknight from 5pm-6pm in our Lobby. I hope to introduce myself to you soon on your next visit. I am so excited that you, “will definitely return!”

George Drepaul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
  • Turkish first
vanilly
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Had a great time. the room was nice and very clean. Perfect for two we were very pleased except for the fact that our view was of another room which wasn't ideal. the shower tray is actually a tiny bath which was bizarre but did the trick. Location was fantastic. We had breakfast in the rare bar it wasn't the best but overall our trip was wonderful.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
DREPAUL, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear vanilly,

Our team was thrilled to read your great review and to see that you, “Had a great time.” Our team is focused on providing genuine, attentive service that is friendly and accommodating. Our Tender Loving Comfort movement is the fabric of our service promise. Our guestrooms are spacious and clean and we have 4 different room categories to meet exactly what you are looking for. From guestrooms to Studios, to a variety of one bedroom suites with either 1 or 2 beds, and even two bedroom suites, our property offers the best value in Midtown NYC. We are minutes away from Grand Central, the Empire State Building and great local restaurants and shopping. I hope to introduce myself at our recently launched Wine Hour that we now host in our Lobby each weeknight from 5pm-6pm. Please join us again soon.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My 14 year old niece and I stayed for 5 nights, and we could not have been any more content with our hotel stay.

After a long day of walking and sightseeing, we greatly anticipated returning to our clean and comfortable room. The rooms are nicely decorated and the beds are very comfortable, especially after a weary day of walking, sightseeing, and shopping.

The pillow option is a nice feature and I definitely recommend taking advantage of it if you are in market for a new pillow for home - My niece would not give up my Buckwheat hull pillow for the entire stay!

The hotel rooms have a refrigerator, which was a much welcomed feature. In the evenings, we would walk down 3 or 4 blocks to the local market for our breakfast items...and cheesecake.

The Murray Hill neighborhood is very charming, and perfectly situated to everything. We felt safe walking to the market after dark. The market itself is a great option in lieu of pricey restaurant meals. They offer gourmet meals, panini's, sandwich options, cheesecake, and individual/personal salads with any and all items you would ever want on a salad...did I mention the cheesecake?

The hotel staff is Top Notch here! Everyone from the Front Desk personnel, Doorman, Bell Hop, and Housekeeping were very friendly and accommodating. Everyone made eye contact, genuinely smiled, and took a personal interest.

My niece remarked numerous times that she could not get over how friendly everyone was.

I am convinced that the hotel staff is a direct reflection of its management, and this stay reconfirms that thought.

George DrePaul and Jeff Egol offer a great product and it is obvious to me that they take a great personal pride and interest in the hotel that they represent.

My niece and I look forward to staying here again next year!

Thank you to the entire staff at the Affinia Shelburne for a very pleasant and memorable vacation stay!

S. Caswell
Wisconsin

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sunny906,

I am grateful that our staff was able to help you and your niece make the most out of your visit to NYC. Our My Affinia program is an exciting way to make your stay uniquely yours. Every guest can access this program at our website to select our 6-choice pillow menu or one of our 3 Experience Kits. In addition we have everything from a rubber duckie to an Ibanez acoustic guitar available. Thank you for recognizing the efforts of our staff as we look to create happy memories for all of our guests and the sense that you have arrived at your second home. I certainly look forward to you “staying here again next year!” we want to be your destination of choice.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I really enjoyed my weekend stay at the Affinia Shelburne. The rooms were large and clean. The staff was very friendly. I like this location of the city, it close enough to the major areas of the city, but not a super loud location.
This hotel is also walking distance to some great food locations, including great brunch locations (lallisse mediterranean wine and food & Penelope)
The sliding bathroom doors were a little weird - but if thats the worst of it - I'll take it!

Room Tip: request a king size bed (some of the rooms don't have king)
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear sahmed9s,

What a great way to recognize our team by saying, “the staff was very friendly”. Our Tender Loving Comfort movement is our brand’s service promise to deliver genuine and attentive service with a smile. Our whole staff has been trained in the art of reading body language. Our location is just minutes from the Empire State Building, United Nations, Grand Central, and premiere shopping on Madison and 5th Avenue. Our guestrooms are spacious and clean and for only a few dollars more our guests can take advantage of our Deluxe room types available in Studios and One Bedroom Suites. All of our Deluxe rooms come with a fully equipped kitchenette with a microwave/convection oven, granite counter tops, a deep stainless steel sink and dishes and silverware upon request. Everything you need to help you take advantage of entertaining friends and family during your stay. Please join us again soon!

Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for 6 nights. We thought is was a great place that had a European feel when it comes to the room sizes and style. It is near the 4,5, and 6 trains. It is about 4 blocks from Grand Center. We really liked the afternoon wine hour that they hosted. I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear jbrandonsanders,

I am so pleased that you enjoyed our new Wine Hour! Hosted each weeknight from 5pm-6pm in our spacious and modern Lobby, all of our guests can enjoy premium wine selections and a fun atmosphere to unwind after a leisurely day exploring NYC or after a day of business plans and boardroom meetings. Our location is super convenient for anyone traveling in and around NYC. We are minutes from Grand Central, Penn Station, the Midtown Tunnel, FDR Drive, East River Ferry and even the 34th Street Heliport! I look forward to a future visit of yours to our hotel; please do not hesitate to contact me at gdrepaul@affinia.com.

Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I didn't quite know what to write about this hotel, and my conclusion is that's it's very good value for money.

I normally stay in 5 star places and because I was staying more than a week I decided to stay at something a bit more affordable. The Affinia was recommended to me and it's a nice selection.

My first comment is ask about the room you are getting. I saw numerous rooms of various sizes and shapes, so at check in ask about the size etc to make sure you are happy. I was lucky enough to get a small suite which was perfect for my longer stay. Try to stay away from the elevator as it becomes quite noisy at times.

The location is reasonably OK. Its close to 5th Ave if that's your thing but quite a walk to Time Square if you are planning to go there. Taxi's are very easy to find and always cruising past the hotel.

The room could use a refresh but generally it's in good condition and well kept. The Windows open which I always like. The AC is personally set and although a little noisy works perfectly OK.

The beds are extremely comfortable with nice sheets and a selection of very nice pillows.

Although very small my bathroom was modern and nice with an excellent shower.

The staff were great and helpful especially the check in desk. The concierge service at the front door varied depending on who was on at the time.

There are all the facilities close by. The coffee shop "Lucid" directly next door (attached to the hotel) makes excellent coffee and offers some nice breakfast pastries. Starbucks is about 3 blocks away but honestly this coffee was much better. Next door to Lucid is a convenient Laundry that will take care of any washing or pressing if you need it done.

If you are in to the 5 Star only category this hotel is not for you, but if you want something more boutique and excellent value this place it a great selection. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Check your room type and size prior to check in and keep away from the elevators.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear AsiaRoadWarrior,

You’ve made our day with such a great recommendation. Our goal is to earn the recommendation of each and every guest, so I am delighted that you chose to stay with us based on a recommendation. I often rave about the value that our hotel offers travelers to NYC in Midtown. The value added features and amenities we offer are unsurpassed. Our Affinia Signature bedding is supremely comfortable and our complimentary 6-choice pillow menu has an option for every type of sleeper. Our team’s focus is on friendly and genuine service, so thank you for recognizing that, “the staff were great and helpful.” I hope to see you back at our hotel’s recently launched Wine Hour each weeknight at 5pm in our lobby.

maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

We needed a centrally located hotel for a family stay where we had business in midtown and in the NYU area. This hotel offered a decent price for a larger sized room with two queen beds, so we thought we'd try it for our three night stay. We were on the eleventh floor. We found the room to be very comfortable and generously sized. There was a bit of street noise, but it is New York. Bathroom was nicely sized with ample counter space. No fan and somewhat dim lighting, as is typical. We didnt spend much time in the lobby, though it seemed pleasant, clean, modern, inviting. The daily charge for internet is annoying but seems to have become standard in New York. We are quite picky about hotel rooms, and we would return.

Room Tip: pick a high floor not facing lexington if possible
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
DREPAUL, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear wjs,

“We would return,” is the best possible way we can think of for a review to end, thank you! Our hotel is conveniently located next to a plethora midtown businesses as well as NYU Medical Center, the United Nations, Grand Central Terminal, Madison Square Garden, the Empire State Building and more. Our rooms are generously sized and superbly designed with modern accents to help our guests make the most of their visit and feel at home. Our Lobby hosts a brand new amenity to our guests each weeknight evening at 5pm, our fabulous Wine Hour! I hope that we will remain your destination of choice and I look forward to welcoming your family for a return visit to NYC soon.

George Drepaul

Been to Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel? Share your experiences!