“Nice Hotel Good Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance New York Hotel Times Square

You added Renaissance New York Hotel Times Square to your Saves list
Renaissance New York Hotel Times Square
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Two Times Square, 714 Seventh Avenue at W. 48th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Save up to 15%
Ranked #104 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Hicksville New York
“Nice Hotel Good Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2006

I booked this hotel when my first choice the Marriott Marquis was
unavailabe. Hotel is centrally located and nice and quiet.

Rooms are a good size, bathroom has a nice deep tub for
long soaks after a day in NYC. I had a room with a king size bed and it was lovely.

I didn't like having to take 2 elevators to get to my room, but,
I will say I never had to wait more than 2 minutes for an elevator.

Warning: unlike every other Marriott property I have stayed in,
(at least a dozen) that puts a $50.00 per day hold for "incidentals" this one puts $100.00 and doesn't bother to
inform you. I noticed it and went to speak to the front desk and got nothing but attitude from the woman there. Not a very pleasant way to start a stay.

All in all, though the hotel is nice and except for the rude woman at the desk everyone else I came in to contact with was great.

I might stay again, but, it will not be my first choice.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — Front Desk Personnel
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Polish first
North Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2006

We stayed at this hotel from 1st-4th August. The location is very central with easy access to the subway and tour buses. The Rockerfeller Centre is a very short work and it's well worth the trip up 'Top of the Rock'. We found the hotel to be clean and comfortable, although my two teenage sons weren't too impressed at having to share a king bad when I had specifically request two beds upon booking. I'm sure if we'd made a fuss they might have changed the rooms but we were tired after the flight etc. so didn't bother. This was our first visit to New York so had taken pot luck with the hotel and all in all we were very satisfied with the accomodation. The rooms were a decent size and we enjoyed watching the world go by from the 7th floor.
My only criticisms really are that the staff, whilst efficient, were not in the least bit friendly and on reception couldn't manage a single smile. Breakfast was expensive but very good and the restaurant (although we didn't have an evening meal there) has an amazing view over Times Square.

• Liked — Good sized rooms considering the location. Great location.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2006

The location is great as long as you want to be in the hustle and bustle of Times Square. The hotel has an unusual entrance in that you have to take an elevator from the street level to the lobby and then another elevator to your floor. The lobby is not at all glamorous and had a strange odor during our entire stay. Although we thought we had a reservation for two rooms, each with double beds, we were informed when we arrived that the fine print had indicated that this was not guaranteed. I had actually called the week before and was told that double beds would not be a problem. They wound up coming up with one smoking room with double beds and another non-smoking room with a king and a rollaway. The rooms themself are nothing special but do have unique views of the Times Square area. We have stayed at other hotels in NYC and found them to be more user friendly and enjoyable.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Rooms, lobby, service
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
miami
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2006

A word of warning about this hotel. Although this hotel is located in a very centric location the hotel does misrepresent itself. The problem started when I booked a room with 2 queen size beds. Upon my arrival the reservations clerk informed me that I would only be receiving a room with one king size bed and a rollaway. This was not the room I booked. Then when we went up to see the room, it was the size of my closet for 3 people. The rollaway was supposed to go in front of the door. When I informed the hotel staff that this was a fire hazard that is when they proceed to give me a slightly larger room and of course I had to argue with them to get it. On top of all this the first room had a large insect flying around in it, the chair in the room was stained and the room had been double booked. Before I was able to move our things out there was already someone else trying to occupy the room. With all the other hotels in New York City I was not impressed. Stay at your risk.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of cooperation from hotel front desk clerk
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2006

I have stayed in several hotels throughout the U. S. and in NYC and this one is one of the best. For a tourist like me, its location can't be beat: right at Times Square, three subway lines directly next to the hotel's entrance, several others only a few blocks away, saving you a lot of time. All major broadway theaters in the proximity meaning you must not leave your room earlier than 20 minutes before the curtian goes up. Rooms are very well appointed, OK in size, spacious marble bathroom, perfect bed with pillow top mattress, down comforter and plenty of pillows. Housekeeping did a great job, turn down service is available on request. Rooms are a bit dark due to the tinted double glazed windows, but that is just fine, because they keep a lot of noise, heat and looks from the opposite bulidings out. Breakfast at "Foley's Fishhouse" ranks among the best I had in the U. S. and features a new special every day (e. g. different quiches, burritos, cheese blintzes, french toast). As the hotel has only about 300 rooms, restaurant staff treats you very nice and personally. Front desk staff didn't bend over backwards but had at least no attitude, a thing you won't find that easy in NYC. Minor complaint: I faxed my Marriott Rewards number and some room requests (e. g. no connecting door) well in advance to the hotel, none of which was added to my reservation when I got to the Front Desk. I therefore asked for a non-connceting room again and was given - a connecting room! They were apologetic and changed that instantly after my return to the Front Desk, but that could have been avioded. Nevertheless, the Renaissance will be my top choice when returning to NYC.

Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2006

We stayed at the Renaissance for nine days at a rate of $315 per night. We had a room on the 16th floor with two double beds for two adults and two teenage children. The room was very spacious for a New York City hotel and the beds were super comfortable. The bathroom and shower were very adequate but nothing special. Even though we were not on the best side to view Times Square, we still had a great view. This was a very typical Marriott hotel--above average and clean, but not excellent or luxurious. The Renaissance is probably the best located hotel in Times Square, and thus, a great central location for getting around New York City. You are in easy walking distance of the Broadway shows, Central Park, Empire State Building, Rockefeller Center, and 5th avenue shopping.

We had great service from the hotel staff, especially Omar, the consierge. Foley's is a nice seafood restaurant with a breath taking view of Times Square and worthy of a try. The lobby bar has expensive drinks and mediocre service, but also a breath taking view of Times Square. The Renaissance is a very practical hotel option with a superb location and we are VERY GLAD we choose the hotel. When I return to New York City without the kids, I will likley opt for something a little more "special" and away from the hustle and bustle of Times Square.

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2006

The hotel was in a great location and the amenties were nice..... but the only complaint was the crazy smell in the lobby area. I couldn't figure out want it was. Was it some fish dish from Foleys Fish-- or some kind of bizarre curry blend room deoderizer? I almost gagged everything I had to walk thru the lobby. Other than the smell it was nice. The linens were fantastic. The decor was very warm and masculine. Had a boutique feel compared to the Marriott Marquis. Recommend it.

• Stayed July 2006

Been to Renaissance New York Hotel Times Square? Share your experiences!