“Nice Stay But Small” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Lexington New York City - an Autograph Collection Hotel

You added The Lexington New York City - an Autograph Collection Hotel to your Saves list
The Lexington New York City - an Autograph Collection Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   511 Lexington Avenue, at 48th Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #269 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Connecticut
“Nice Stay But Small”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Bright, energetic hotel with FABULOUS room service food. The rooms are nice but quite small. The bathroom is good but pedestal sinks don't leave much space for toiletries. (There is a shelf for some articles). Only complaint is that many f the rooms look over the a/c units. Be sure to ask for a better view! Overall, a good hotel, nice stay. Small rooms but most NYC rooms are!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
John T, General Manager at The Lexington New York City - an Autograph Collection Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
We are thrilled that enjoyed the energy and feel our of hotel. Thank you for all of your great comments about our well appointed room and the restaurants. We look forward to your next visit to our hotel and making your stay unique with the rich history of The Lexington!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Tempe, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Thanks to a special rate that was offered by Travelpony.com, I was able to find a very nice hotel room for far less than I expected... especially for NYC. Having the hotel as a member of the Marriott chain was an added bonus since I try to maintain elite status with them.
The hotel offered me excellent service from check-in to check-out. I had filled out an online request on the Marriott site that asked for a higher floor and a small fridge. Both requests were acknowledged at check-in and were accommodated!
Never a wait for an elevator. No problem with noise... inside or out. The room was sufficient. Small bathroom, but enough for a couple. Attractively decorated and clean. A very comfortable bed and lots of outlets which is always nice.
Keep this place in mind for a reasonably priced, middle-of-the-road, city hotel.
...And if you find a better rate like I did on a third party website, follow the instructions on Marriott's website for their "look no further" guarantee. Marriott will match the 3rd party site's rate and give you an additional discount. Plus, you still get credit for elite status!!!
With a little research, you can save a lot of $$$ in an expensive city.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Wow, thank you for your 5 star review and great comments. We strive to achieve this level of service and cleanliness with all of our guests and we are thrilled that we did. We are also very happy that we filled your special requests. We have celebrated this review with our team!
We will be very excited to welcome you back to our hotel and achieve this success again!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

I spent a recent weekend here, and I had no problems. The rooms are small but typical for a NYC hotel in a very old building. It has a cool history with it being the home to Marilyn Monroe and Joe DiMaggio during their marriage and there are little traces of them like the Do Not Disturb signs are pictures of Marilyn and on the mezzanine a wall has a little ode to the couple. I didn't have any noise problems except when the garbage truck came by but I have experience that often at other places as well. But I got it for less than $200 a night which is great for NYC and the area I was in. For that price I would totally stay there again. Oh but the one thing that irritated me was that I had to pay for them to store my bag for the day. That was not ok!

Room Tip: Higher floors will definitely help if you're a light sleeper as there is a club next door...I di...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
We are so happy that you enjoyed the rich history and feel of our hotel along with our upgraded rooms. We are excited that you noticed all of the special touches that we had made to the rooms to remind guests of the history that we have. We look forward to seeing you again soon since you enjoyed your stay and felt we were a great value!
New Delhi, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Well the location is definitely a plus for the hotel. Prices are a bit on the higher side. The rooms were however smaller in size. The WiFi is free only in the lobby and u get charged while using in the room. The service desk takes its time to respond to your needs. Cant say about the food, as I always ate from the nearby eatery options. The property is just 4-5 blocks from the empire State building, and Times Square. The place is well connected via metro, From JFK airport, i took the skytrain to Jamaica and from the Jamaica station i boarded the Manhattan bound E train and boarded down at Lexington Avenue.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
We appreciate your great comments on our location.
We hope that you visit us at The Lexington soon!
Santiago Metropolitan Region, Chile
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

The Lexington has a great location-- their street corner is a little bit quiet, but it's very close to Broadway, Rockefeller, and Grand Central. That, as well as its low prices, are what drew me to the hotel. However, I later understood why I found such a good price. Our room was very small: a bed, a desk, and not room for much else-- but it was very clean and I found the whole hotel comfortable. Service is not great-- in fact I felt like we were bothering the woman at the Front Desk by checking into the hotel. But then again, in New York you probably won't be in your hotel very much.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your great comments about our location and the cleanliness of our hotel. We are also very delighted that you were comfortable in our hotel. Your feedback is so valuable to us to improve our service; we do appreciate it. We hope to welcome you back to The Lexington soon!
Seattle, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

I stay at Marriott properties for work and I prefer the autograph hotels for pleasure travel. They are usually in very interesting buildings as is the Lexington. This property is a gorgeous art deco building that was Joe DiMaggios home while he played for the Yankees and when he was married to Marilyn Monroe. The hotel staff were the nicest. God bless the bell hops who hailed cabs. I lived in NYC so the room size and bathroom size were not a surprise but the cleanliness was. I assumed this property was ready for renovations and was utterly surprised to hear it was recently renovated. My husband and I were assigned a room at the very end of the hall near a housekeeping storage closet. The housekeeping cart did not fit and the door was left opened. Such a liability. Housekeeping constantly banged into the door started as early as 6 AM. We are awakened to the housekeeper vacuuming outside our door at 6:30 AM. Our room was barely surfaced cleaned. There were inches of dust along the floor boards by the headboard. The property was not equipped with Marriott mattresses or bedding. The sheets were threadbare and barely covered the top of the mattress. Each day we came back to find hair in the bathroom that were not ours. The manager tried to help but given the housekeepers were "union" little could be done.

This property charges for wifi and checking bags. Wifi is free in the beautiful but very small lobby. There was not one time of the day or night that the lobby was not filled with people on electronic devices or luggage. The property might want to re-thing charging for checking bags before or after check/in or out.

If you are Marriott Elite member, there is no Concierge Lounge so breakfast is complimentary at onsite restaurant, Raffles. The extremely limited menu is horrible. Take the points and go around the corner to Essa-a-Bagel.

The property is a bargain for its price point in this part of Manhattan. If I stayed here again I would ask for a better situated room, skip the breakfast and be more forceful as to the cleanliness of the room and bathroom. The staff and management want to serve guests and are tremendously proud of this property. Holding housekeeping accountable and changing some policies such as the wifi and the charge of checking baggage would quickly turn this property into a jewel.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms near the housekeeping closets.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
John T, General Manager at The Lexington New York City - an Autograph Collection Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
We appreciate your great comments about the history of our building. Also your comments about the staff being nice! We deeply apologize for the challenges that you encountered with housekeeping and the restaurant, Raffles. We are going to use your specific comments as an opportunity to train our staff on these issues so thank you for your feedback! We hope that you will give our wonderful staff another opportunity to welcome you back to our historic hotel.
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

This hotel was in a good location (close to subways, Grand Central, Rockefeller Center, Times Square, etc). We visited New York last year as well and stayed on the other side of Times Square, and I was happier with this location, as it was quieter but still a short walk to the hustle and bustle. The hotel was nicely decorated with character, having apparently recently undergone renos. The staff were generally also friendly and helpful.

However, we had some issues. First, there was no control over the bathroom fan, and it would turn on at seemingly random times. It also did not work well enough, as we found the room very damp, particularly for the first couple of days. I noticed that the shower curtain smelled of mildew, and the sheets were damp when we got into bed the first night. My fiancé also noticed that his shirts, which were hung in the closet, were damp the next day. We also had problems with the air conditioner dripping, so much that we had to put a towel or the ice bucket under it. The dripping also kept me awake at night. The hotel was very quick to respond, even late at night, but were unable to really do anything about the problem, other than remove the grate over the air conditioning vent and let all the water spill out. The dripping would then start again. They said it was just too humid that condensation was essentially inevitable. To the hotel's credit, they refunded most of our internet charges at the end of our stay to compensate for the inconvenience.

Another annoyance was that for some reason, the cleaning staff would not leave new facecloths even after taking away the dirty ones. We had to call and request more twice during our weeklong stay.

However, the most frustrating aspect of our stay had to do with the dry cleaning service. First, you apparently can't just leave the item in the room if you want it to be cleaned. We had to bring it down to the front desk ourselves in the morning. Second, the cleaner was unable to remove the stain in my dress (coffee). They simply sent it back at the end of the day with a note saying it wouldn't come out, and they still charged me. However, the worst thing was that the dress was delivered to the wrong room. I called in the evening to ask where it was, and they said it had been delivered to my room. I searched everywhere and couldn't find it, and called back. They said it must be in there, but I assured them it wasn't. They then had to go and find it. From the conversation the two staff had when they finally brought me the dress, it appeared that the person to whom the dress had been delivered was missing whatever they had sent to be cleaned. Desperate to see if someone else could remove the stain (I loved the dress, and thought coffee shouldn't be too hard to get out, even if it was silk), I searched the internet for cleaners in the city. Finding one that looked good based on reviews, I took the dress there, even though it was in Chelsea. Not only did they completely remove the stain, they charged me less than the hotel cleaners charged. In a nutshell, I would recommend that the hotel seriously consider revamping their entire dry cleaning operation.

I noticed that other reviewers have commented on the small size of the rooms, but I can't comment on that as ours was an accessible room and so was huge! We didn't need the accessibility, but had requested a fridge, and apparently that was the only room available with a fridge. We were on the 22nd floor and had no problem with any noise, particularly as the room was on the side of the elevators with only three rooms.

I would probably consider staying here again if the price were right, enough to make up for the fact that they charge for internet, don't have coffee makers, and charge $2 per bag to store your luggage.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
We are so happy that you enjoyed our location, the décor and our friendly staff. We do deeply apologize for the challenges that you encountered with your room. We are glad that you gave credit to the staff for trying to resolve your issues and crediting back your internet. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future and met your expectations.

Been to The Lexington New York City - an Autograph Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!