“A nice (but interrupted) stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Lexington New York City - an Autograph Collection Hotel

You added The Lexington New York City - an Autograph Collection Hotel to your Saves list
The Lexington New York City - an Autograph Collection Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   511 Lexington Avenue, at 48th Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #273 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“A nice (but interrupted) stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

We got a great rate on the Marriott website and decided to give this newly reonvated Marriott property a try. We have previously stayed at several nearby Lexington Avenue hotels (The Intercontinental, Marriott East Side, Doubletree Metropolitan). Generally, this location is very good. Just outside the madness of Times Square. Front door is not on Lexington Ave. (which is a little odd); it is on 48th Street. Easy access to the subway. Lots of dining options. Close to Grand Central. I always like older New York hotels as the lobbies tend to be more spacious (to make up for the small rooms) so there is always someplace to sit, relax, and meet people. Often, the newer hotels skip the lobby experience. The Lexington lobby is comfortable and spacious with plenty of seating areas. Check in was easy and quick. Our King room on the 17th floor was fine; nothing extravagant, but clean, neat and orderly. The bathroom was small but well lit and fine for the two of us. The bed was comfortable. The window looking onto Lexington Ave. was filthy (on the outside). No radio/alarm clock in the room and the telephones did not work. The place was clean, pleasant and I would return, if the price was right. Have to mention the "episode" that might affect our future lodging decision - We were out all day on Saturday, returned to our room close to midnight and were looking forward to a good night's sleep. At about 12:30am, the fire alarm went off in the building. Guests poured out of their rooms into the hallway, unsure what was happeining. A call to the front desk was not possible since the phone in our room did not work. A call with my cell phone was not answered (surely everyone was jamming the phone lines). Gradually, we got word from other guests that it was a false alarm. Some guests saw and heard the fire trucks arrive. The alarm, however, continued to sound. After about 45 minutes, the alarm ceased and we went back to bed. Then, for the next 30 minutes, recorded announcements blasted over a loud speaker system advising that "all was well" and that we should "resume our normal activities." Of course, sleep was impossible during this hour and a half period. No one from the hotel made a presence on our floor to provide any information. The next morning, when I gently complained, I was told that all of the alarms and announcement were necessary protocol, even for a false alarm. I was offered a financial concession (but only after a little pushing). In spite of this isolated, unfortunate event, I would still return if the price was right.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Gul T, General Manager at The Lexington New York City - an Autograph Collection Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Hello Jay S,

I am so sorry for the telephone defect and that your stay was interrupted. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak directly with you to discuss as well as ensure that we restore your faith in the hotel. Please call me when you have the opportunity to speak. Thank you!

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

I came here for 1 night. I usually stay at a different marriott, but wanted to try a new hotel, so we stayed here.

The Lexington is a nice hotel with a good location, a few block walk to a subway station, but also within walking distance to Grand Central as well.

Upon arrival I asked for an upgrade as a platinum member, which if you don't ask, you usually won't get something. She upgraded me, but upon visiting the room, the room as overlooking the HVAC units and had a hole in the wall that wouldn't close. Upon asking for a different room, we were upgraded to a high-level Jr. Suite.

The room itself was very nicely and artfully decorated. The only issue with the room was the fact the HVAC unit didn't work in 1/2 the room and had two controls.

Might stay here again if the rates are low, but would like to try a different Marriott to get a sense of what else is in NYC.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room to get a sense of view.
Hello SMR_2,

Thank you for giving us an opportunity to show you how great the hotel is. I'm so sorry about the HVAC issue, however our Engineering department is on top of it! We hope you are able to host you again soon rather than opting for other hotels in NYC.

New Haven, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

We booked The Lexington for a recent trip to NYC. We got a great price on the room and feel we got what we paid for. The rooms were tiny but very clean and up to date. There was NO storage space for clothes. The closet was very small; barely big enough for two winter coats. There were several hangers but not enough room to put clothing inside and no drawers of any kind to store things. There was a nice flat screen TV. The bathroom was small but adequate. There was little room to place toiletries. The shower was fine. I'm guessing that the rooms were downsized during remodeling. They probably made twice as many rooms utilizing the same space. The rooms were small even by NYC standards. The location is excellent. It is close to theaters and restaurants. The hotel staff was pleasant and helpful. There is a restaurant and Starbucks attached to the first floor area. There is a very nice lobby and bar for socializing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper floor. Street noise is prominent below the 14 floor area.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Hi ARJACT,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post and your positive comments about the staff and location! The hotel has a wide variety of guestroom sizes and layouts, and we would be happy to discuss the perfect option for you for your next visit.

Biddeford Pool, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

I was very impressed by the quality of both the staff and the recent restoration of this hotel. I checked in several hours early on a Friday and the desk clerk gave me a room immediately! This saved me the hassle of needing to check my bags with the bellman and gave me the opportunity to freshen up. All the staff are very friendly and professional. I liked the combination of the old, art deco detail of this hotel and the new, fresh look it got from the recent renovation. Kudos to the designer. The lobby is comfortable and vibrant, with stylish work/meeting tables on one side and a bar/lounge on the other. The room had new and comfortable furnishings, a firm mattress, a large TV and free, basic wifi. The bathroom was quite tight, as others have mentioned. Be prepared to practice being a contortionist on the toilet. No minibar or coffee maker in my room, however, there's a Starbucks right outside the elevator in the lobby. The room price was better than good, but it is February where there are deals aplenty.

Room Tip: There is no pool that I'm aware of, but I couldn't uncheck it in my ratings.
Hello Antidisestablishment,

We are so glad we were able to host you and that you enjoyed your stay! Thank you so much for posting your comments, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

First, the rooms are VERY small, so if you need space go somewhere different! The doors are made of paper it seems because you can hear everything going through the halls. This hotel is also connected to or very close to a night club. We were there on a Saturday night and even on the 5th floor could hear the blaring music until almost 3 am. Not to mention around 12:15 am the fire alarm went off and apparently no one knew what was going on or how to stop it. It continued for almost thirty minutes before anything happened, no announcements that it was a false alarm or anything. Then, once it turned off, close to 1 am, there were FOUR announcements that it was a false alarm and there was nothing to worry about. Yes, four separate announcements about fifteen minutes apart. Thanks for keeping the entire hotel up until 2 am. I would have been even more livid if I had kids. So around 2 am we finally fell asleep to the beating of the bass from the night club and were again awoken by people coming in around 3 am screaming through the halls right outside our paper door. All in all, it was not worth the price they charge. The temperature of the building was also off, VERY warm almost too warm for comfort.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Cjtrack,

Thank you for posting your feedback. I am truly sorry that you were unable to enjoy your stay and I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss. Please feel free to call me directly at your convenience.

Alexandria, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Just after midnight the fire alarm went off. Hundreds of us poured out of the hotel, from all 27 + floors. There were NO staff guiding us or announcements ~ those didn't come until over an hour later when we all were back in our rooms and then kept going for a good 30 minutes. While the guests were calm and we all looked out for one another, the hotel staff did nothing to help us. I normally stay at the Marriott East Side (which is only a 1/2 block away) and will resume staying there again.

Hello Cinandran,

I am truly sorry that you were not able to enjoy your stay with us. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss, please contact me at your convenience.

Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

Nice and seemingly newly renovated hotel, good-sized, clean rooms (got one on the 13th floor), friendly and helpful staff (asked for another room as the 1st one I got was right next to the elevator and in spite of a long line of tourists coming in at just that very moment got one quickly and with a smile). Great location, Times Square and UN within walking distance, good choice of food in vicinity, Star Bucks adjacent to lobby. I've stayed at a number of hotels in Manhattan and this one is definitely high on my list!

Room Tip: Upper-floor
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Hello GerhardBVienna,

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to host you on your most recent trip. We all look forward to welcoming you back soon! Thank you for taking the time to post.

Assistant General Manager

Been to The Lexington New York City - an Autograph Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!