“Super little hotel. great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sanctuary Hotel New York

You added Sanctuary Hotel New York to your Saves list
Sanctuary Hotel New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   132 West 47th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #24 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London
“Super little hotel. great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We stayed for a week at the end of Mar 2015 and although the weather was freezing this did not take away the enjoyment of staying in this great hotel located a stones throw from Times Square. We had a very comfortable room overlooking 47th Street and breakfast each morning was an added bonus.

The staff were attentive knowledgeable and extremely polite and no question was left unanswered.

We would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to stay in New York.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
Sea Isle City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Excellent hotel with extremely friendly and courteous staff. The concierge was very helpful in helping us plan our day. The only downside was that our room faced the street and the noise at night was disturbing.

Room Tip: Do not have a room facing the street - too much street noise at night.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Great find! We were treated specially from start to finish. There was even a birthday card for me as I was celebrating this weekend. The continental breakfast was wonderful. Room was small but beautifully decorated. Great shower too! I would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Hartford, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I was pleasantly surprised walking the red carpet entrance to this hotel near Times Square. The staff was incredibly friendly, welcoming and helpful. The decor is fantastic - east meets glam. My room was great, not huge but plenty big for a solo traveler, and it was clean and quiet. The bed and bedding were comfortable. Continental breakfast is included but the omelette bar is hard to resist. I would go back here in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Room 711 had no view but was quiet.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Winthrop, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

As a former Manhattan resident I was incredibly impressed with this property. I felt better treated than if I had stayed in a much much higher priced hotel. The most important aspect was how accommodating the staff was. We mentioned that it was our anniversary/Birthday & got a complimentary (good) bottle of wine & hand made boutique chocolates sent to our room plus a free room upgrade. Great free breakfast included & for just $5.00 more you could turn it into a full hot breakfast.
Hotel was quite unconventionally stylish & warm at the same time.
Lots of young musical types seemed to be there. Perfect location. Close to time square but not too close. Also close to Radio City Music Hall and Rockefeller Center. Terrific view from rooftop bar/cabaret. Best choice ever for a weekend (or longer) theater getaway. Also very accessible to the transportation anywhere in the city. Depending in when you go, it can truly be a great bargain as well.
Unfortunately, it is getting a reputation of NOT being as "Best kept secret in New York" as it used to. I would stay here over the "Plaza", Sherry Netherland, St. Regis any day of the week.

Stayed April 2015
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such wonderful feedback.

It's comments such as yours that puts smiles on all our faces. We are honored to be compared with some of the top hotels and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Best Regards,

Jeremy Poon
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We arrived at sanctuary hotel a little anxious as we had read a few negative reviews on trip advisor. Our welcome was as warm as toast. We were met by a wonderful gentleman named Julio, who organised our bags and got us strong coffee to counteract the weariness , as the rooms were not ready - it was only 1.30 and checking is 3 pm. We sat and started to relax in the dim but restful surroundings feeling happy to be on holiday. Every single member of staff introduced themselves and made us feel very welcome. Very soon we were offered a room on level 5 - a lower floor than reserved for us - but being obliging guests we accepted the room and up we went. Now, the rooms are small, the light switches are frustrating to operate and there's not enough storage for a travelling fashaholic but non of this matters when the breakfast is first class, the haven bar is really a haven from the frenzy of New York and, once again, the staff make you feel like a member of their team. We would go back.

Room Tip: Sorry nothing to add
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Arrived late and hotel put me into a building at the back of the property. Rooms are extremely small with no separate bathroom, very no frills hotel and service is a disaster.

Disastrous checkout: called down to front desk asking for my bags to be pulled and a bill to be ready since I was in a hurry and they didn't put a bill under my door. No bags, no bill when I got downstairs. Next, after waiting 15 minutes for my bags, the bellman didn't put one of my bags into the towncar, instead he took my bag back to the bag room. Upon arriving at the airport without my bag I called the hotel, they were clueless, but after asking the doorman, he indicated he put my bag back in the bar room (didn't have any reason for doing so). Hotel didn't bring my bag to the airport and I had to go back to the hotel to pick up my bag (and missed my flight). Front desk clerk apologized, and said manager would call me, but he never did.

I left a series of messages for the manager, but he didn't return my 5 messages and didn't do anything to compensate for the inconvenience or cost of missing my flight.

Overall, bad service, poor management who doesn't care about running a business and bad employees. Wouldn't stay again!!

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, 1 week ago
While I appreciate the candid feedback, I am both surprised and shocked by this review as it goes against everything that we represent. It completely contradicts what every other review is saying about our service and staff.

Please, let me first apologize for any inconveniences that you experienced. This is certainly not reflective of the service we strive to provide. After speaking with the staff and going over the details of our guest logs, I see that your bill was printed and ready for you when you checked out (we would certainly never slip anything underneath the door. No guest should ever have to pick up items off the floor purposely).

In addition, the reason your bags were not taken to the town car was because we were not aware of the car arrangements made. For security purposes, we would never place bags in an unknown car without the guest present.

To my knowledge, after realizing that 1 of your bags were left behind, the staff did offer to have that brought to you at the airport. You declined and stated that you were coming back. While I can completely understand the frustration, I feel that it is a bit unfair to make a statement of having bad employees and management that doesn't care when every review states otherwise.

I would love the opportunity to make this right for you and would be more than happy to further discuss your concerns. As the General Manager, rest assured that you would receive an immediate response when dealing with me directly.

I can be reached at Jeremy@sanctuaryhotelnyc.com.

Best Regards,

Jeremy Poon

Been to Sanctuary Hotel New York? Share your experiences!