“Great location.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sanctuary Hotel New York

You added Sanctuary Hotel New York to your Saves list
Sanctuary Hotel New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   132 West 47th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #24 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Mesa, Arizona
“Great location.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Loved this hotel! The hotel is conveinently located right down the road from TKTS. The hotel staff were extremely friendly, courteous, and professional. The room we stayed in was very clean, comfortable and quiet. The continental breakfast that was included had a variety of foods and was very good. We will definitely be staying in this hotel next time we visit NYC.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
We are happy to know that you enjoyed your time with us.

Should your travels bring you back to New York City, please think of us. We would love to have you back.

Jeremy Poon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (568)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Sanctuary which it truly was in the midst of all the chaos that is Times Square. Our pleasant experience started via email and phone conversations with
rebooking our stay after our attempt to stay the first time failed due to weather and the pre-paid credit graciously offered had expired. The Sanctuary went out of her way to accommodate us to make things right and made us feel welcome. Then it moved on to Lauren at the front desk her smile was infectious and truly made you forget the hassle and hustle and bustle of NYC when you walk thru the front door. I can't remember the last time I felt that welcome when checking
into a hotel, she made sure we had everything we needed and asked if she could
provide any other info or help to enhance our stay in New York.
The staff working the complimentary breakfast was always friendly and trying
to help make sure we had everything we needed every morning. I also was a
little concerned every evening when we returned to see the crowds waiting to
get into the bars/rooftop, but have to say the security staff went out of
their way to recognize us as guests and clear our way in and out. It was truly
amazing how they recognized us by face and smiled every time we entered the
lobby made eye contact and said hello or welcome back! They have a great staff and atmosphere and I will look to make it my Sanctuary every time I visit New York!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for providing us with such wonderful feedback.

Lauren and the rest of the staff will be so delighted to read about your experience here with us. It's comments such as yours, that truly motivate the staff to continuously go above and beyond for our guests.

We would love to see you back with us again in the near future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

Location: A minute walk away from the Times square, yet the commotion of it so remote (the name of the hotel gives a hint).
Rooms and the Hotel: Chic and trendy decorations in the lobby, and has a trendy roof top "Haven" which is also popular among the locals and celebrities as well. However the meticilious attention given to decoration in the lobby and the dining area was not reflected in the rooms. I would have expected to see a bit more in the rooms. The wardrobe was small and we had to keep some of our outfits in the suitcases. The facing the street have street views, for the others do not expect to see much.
Staff: This is what makes this hotel unique. Brandon at the concierge has helped a lot and his hints made our days. All the staff friendly and helpful at all times.

Room Tip: Try to get the rooms in the upper floors, the lower floors may be a little noisy.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

From the moment that I walked into the door I was simply amazed by the hotel! The decor is beautiful! The staff is what really impressed me! They are so friendly and caring! It was my moms birthday and anniversary..they sent a card up to the room signed from all of them with dessert and cupcakes. If we needed reservations they made sure that we got the best seat and referred us to the best restaraunts I have eaten in! When I stay in the city I will always stay at this hotel! Location is perfect right by Broadway shows, great places to eat and Times Square. When my friend and I were ready to check out we asked the doorman to call us a cab--no cabs were coming down the street so he kindly walked us up to Times Square to call us a cab since we had a train to catch. I have never been treated so well in a hotel. There is no hotel like sanctuary

• Stayed August 2014
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Knowing that The Sanctuary was the best hotel that you ever stayed at is one of the biggest compliments one can give.

We appreciate your comments and I will certainly share this with the rest of the staff. We look forward to having you back for future visits.

Nicosia, Cyprus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

The personnel of Sanctuary Hotel was really pleasant, enjoyable and helpful and ready to respond to all our questions regarding the exploration of New York.Also, the location of the hotel is great, 2 minutes walking and you are in Times Square. I would definetely recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
We are happy to hear that you had such an "unforgettable experience" with us.

We hope to see you in the near future.

Eindhoven, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

I can see why this place divides opinion. It is a little schizophrenic. As a guest, you could feel you were second priority to non residents visiting the rooftop bar at times. And certainly the rooftop bar was not what I would call a sanctuary in the evenings, with loud music making it impossible to hold a conversation. At times it felt more like a nightclub than a sanctuary.

True, the rooms are small. But they are also nicely styled with bathrooms cleverly fitted in. The rooms certainly have an intimate feel and are clearly designed more for adults than families with younger children. But, I guess one person's intimacy is another's claustrophobia.

The same can be said for the overall decor and ambience of the hotel. Lighting is subdued and decor is generally dark and muted. For some this creates an intimate, chic feeling. Others may see it as too dark and the paranoid might think its is an attempt to cover up flaws in the decor!

These are predominantly questions of taste and style and the pictures on the website gives a reasonable representation of the style of the hotel.

We enjoyed our stay - there were some small things we would change but that's true of every hotel.

The location is great - mid town Manhattan and a one minute walk from Times Square and a few blocks from Central Park. We found it easiest to get a cab from the corner of 6th Ave. not because of a lack of cabs on 47th st outside the hotel but because it's one way into Times Square and there are roadworks in Times Square which causes considerable delays.

We found all the staff friendly and helpful. At check in they were interested in our visit and what we planned to do in NYC and gave us some great suggestions. In particular, Nynen, one of the door staff was great. He always remembered us and had a smile and chat every time we saw him.

Definitely a boutique hotel best suited to adults. We enjoyed The Sanctuary and would stay again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Manalapan, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Where do I begin? Perhaps I should start off with just how beautiful the hotel is. The cleanliness & beautiful decor of the lobby is fantastic! The staff checking us in were all more then helpful. Everyone had a big smile on their face (which being a native New Yorker, is saying a lot) and couldnt do enough to accommodate my wife & I. The hotel itself is in the perfect location if you are looking to stay in the heart of the Times Square. We were literally in walking distance of the theatre we were going to see a play at & the restaurant we had reservations for. Doesnt get more convenient then that!

The reason for our 1 night stay was a belated Mothers Day gift for my wife. We had tickets for a Broadway show & I was looking to give her a romantic night out (and a break away from raising our 3 year old daughter)... The hotel definitely more then met my expectations for romance! Approximately 3 months prior to my stay at The Sanctuary, I had spoken with Mr. Jimmy Valdez who is a S.T.A.R. Experience Manager for the hotel. I explained to him that I was looking for a romantic night for my wife & Jimmy promised me I would not be disappointed... Together, Jimmy & I arranged what sounded like a beautiful nights stay complete with roses, chocolate covered strawberries, & champagne on ice when we checked in...

A week prior to our stay I had again emailed Mr. Valdez to make sure all of the plans we had previously discussed 3 months ago were still in place... I also, informed him that I would no longer be needing the champagne because we had found out a few weeks prior that my wife was expecting baby #2! He got back to me right away & assured me that absolutely everything was under control. When I emailed him back the next day about a restaurant my wife & I were excited to try, I received an email back right away from Brandon McMillen (Director of the STAR Experience) informing me that Mr. Valdez had the day off. He also let me know that he took the liberty of making a reservation at the restaurant in question for my wife & I the evening we arrived...

When the day finally arrived, I could not wait to see what the room would look like. I was also extremely excited to see my wifes reaction as well. When we came off the elevator and opened the door to our room to say that I was blown away would be an understatement! The room had rose petals throughout the entire room (including ones in the shape of a heart on the bed) as well as long stem roses strewn throughout the room! There were huge (and delicious) chocolate covered strawberries on a plate wishing us congratulations on the pregnancy as well as a personal letter from Mr Valdez & Mr McMillen wishing us the best... And instead of the aforementioned champagne, Mr Valdez had the great idea of having a sparkling cider on ice for us (for that look & feel of champagne) which completed the romantic look I was going for. All I need to tell you is my wife started sobbing with tears at just how beautiful everything was set up in the room!!! I am indebted to them both for helping me accomplish what I set out in doing for my wife... They are tremendous at their job and are a HUGE asset to The Sanctuary!!! My only regret of the eveninig was not getting a chance to say thank you in person to Mr. Valdez for all that he did for my wife & I...

I couldnt recommend this hotel enough! My wife & I absolutely LOVED our stay... We made a deal to always come at least once a year to the city to see a show & have dinner - and you can bet, that EVERY year we do, we will for sure stay at The Sanctuary!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
I don't believe reviews can get better that this. Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of your experience here.

We are absolutely delighted about your feedback and will certainly use this as a motivational tool to continuously do even better.

We would love to have you back again soon.

Jeremy Poon

Been to Sanctuary Hotel New York? Share your experiences!