“Great place.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sanctuary Hotel New York

You added Sanctuary Hotel New York to your Saves list
Sanctuary Hotel New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   132 West 47th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #24 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Fairport, New York
“Great place.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

My daughter and I stayed for 3 nights to celebrate her birthday by attending a Yankee game. The staff was really helpful with suggestions for visiting places, restaurants, bus tickets for the Grayline tour, etc. I had let them know it was her birthday and they left a signed birthday card in our room. The room was small but adequate for our needs. Mattress felt a bit worn but we mostly passed out from exhaustion each night after all the walking we did. We had no issues whatsoever from noise, either from the street or the nightclub (we had a room on the 8th floor). Location is fantastic! So close to everything yet a little away from Times Square. Thanks for making my daughter's birthday so special!

• Stayed July 2014
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
I'm delighted to hear that you and your daughter enjoyed your 3 night stay with us. You found the perfect place to celebrate her birthday.

We appreciate your feedback and hope to have you back with us again for another special experience.

Jeremy Poon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

Multiple time visitor to The Sanctuary! Best place to stay in NYC, hands down! Very convenient to many of the top attractions near Central Park and Rock Center. Rooftop lounge is a bonus and great place to unwind once the day is done.

• Stayed July 2014
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent experience with us. We appreciate the great feedback and hope to see you back in the near future.

Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

On first impression this hotel is nice. The front desk, especially Lauren, gave a warm welcome. But make no mistake this hotel values the revenue from the rooftop lounge, Haven, more than the revenue from the hotel. It is IMPOSSIBLE To get a good night sleep at Sanctuary. The first night of our three day stay they had a private party on the roof deck the noise was from the music, shouts, and whistling was so loud that it felt like we were actually attending the event. The event finally ended at 12:30am. Our room was on the 5th floor.
When I brought the unacceptable conditions up the following morning the staff was surprised that we were disturbed by the noise since our room was suppose to be a quiet room. They were responsive to our request to move to a quieter room and had folks move our luggage into the new
room on the 6th floor. Next night we could still hear the noise but it was not too bad but it was audible. Tonight, our third night is just ridiculous - the noise again is at such a high level you can hear the roar of laughing, hollering, and whistling along with the music. The lounge closes at 2:00am so we get to look forward to another hour and a half of no sleep. I am actually writing this review at 12:39am because it is impossible to sleep.
Sanctuary should decide what their primary business is - hotel or nightclub. I would NOT recommend this hotel unless you were planning to go to Haven and did not want to stumble too far to your hotel room.
Seriously for the price of the room you should expect a MUCH BETTER experience.

Room Tip: Maybe second floor to get away from rooftop lounge noise - ridiculous!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
We are very disappointed that your experience with us was not the way it should have been. The goal is to create a unique and memorable experience for everyone and I'd like to personally apologize for any inconveniences that the noise has caused.

Guest feedback holds great value and rest assured that I will certainly address this with the management team at Haven Rooftop. We will make the necessary adjustments so that future guests do not share the same experience.

We pride ourselves in being a discrete retreat away from the hustle and bustle of the hectic city and we will continue to work towards that.

Should you decide to give us another opportunity in the future, please contact me directly for reservations, so that I can ensure that you have an enjoyable stay. I can be reached at Jeremy@sanctuaryhotelnyc.com.

Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

It was a fun hotel- the rooftop patio is a fave and always busy.

Good location midtown.

Hotel service is top notch and very attentive.

We had a room on the 9th floor and it was loud bc of the rooftop bar but we didn't really mind bc we were part of the loudness!

Complaints: The rooms are small and feel a little mouldy.. Also the main lobby is very dark.

Stayed July 2014
Bakersfield, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

I booked this hotel over Priceline because it had a great location and was hoping for the best. I was extremely happy from the moment I walked in! I was greeted by super friendly employees. I arrived at 9:30am so I knew my room would not be ready but they checked my bags in with no hassle. They also sent me to get a free breakfast even though I was not technically checked in yet. My only complaint was that my room was not ready at 4:00 when I returned to the hotel. Because my room was not ready they upgraded me to a better room and sent me to the rooftop for complementary food and drinks! Rooms are smaller than other hotels but are typical for boutique hotels in NYC. They are perfect if you are going to be out and about most of the time. They are stylishly decorated and the beds are very comfortable. I would definitely recommend this hotel and hope to stay there again soon!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for the great feedback.

We apologize for your room not being ready at the time of check-in and I'm happy that we were able to find you better accommodations.

We would love to see you back with us soon for another great stay.

Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

This was our first visit (10 days) to New York City for my husband & I, we had been looking forward to this for many years! It was wonderful to be greeted at the Hotel entrance by the doorman taking our luggage to reception, (& every day after that too!) All the staff were very helpful, courteous, inviting & very friendly. Our room on the 4th floor, at the back of the hotel, was a good size, clean & quiet, with a walk-in closet plus room safe, and a large bathroom. The two restaurants serve excellent choices of food & the service is good too, we especially enjoyed the rooftop restaurant with brilliant views all around! At the end of a busy sightseeing day it was nice to return to a dimmer lighted hotel creating a soothing & relaxing ambience. The location was perfect (only a block or two) for Times Square, Broadway Theatres, Restaurants, Subways & Sightseeing Buses, & yet away from the hustle & bustle! We would highly recommend this hotel for couples, singles or business travellers.

Room Tip: I would recommend a room at the back of the hotel, we were on the 4th floor, very quiet!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing the Sanctuary Hotel as the place to stay for your 10 day New York City visit.

I'm happy that you were also able to experience both our restaurants. Many guests such as yourself, really enjoy the food and different experiences that they provide.

We hope to see you back with us in the future.

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Been to NY many times, but 1st time staying in the Theatre District. Stayed for 6 days and found the hotel's location was great, 1 block west to Time Square (packed with tourists), 1 block east to a quieter street with Radio City Music Hall and shopping. 5-10 minutes walking distance to ALL the shows. Rooms were clean and the free breakfast was great!

Best part of this hotel.... Jimmy, the concieger and the rest of the staff. Always friendly, so helpful and welcoming. Totally worth every penny!

Room Tip: Suite had 2 double beds, a rarity for New York. The room was on the 4th floor in the middle of the h...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Jimmy and the rest of the staff will be so delighted to read about your feedback. The staff really make every effort to provide our guests with a unique and memorable visit.

We hope to have you back soon.

Jeremy Poon

Been to Sanctuary Hotel New York? Share your experiences!