“Spectacular” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sanctuary Hotel New York

Save Saved
You added Sanctuary Hotel New York to your Saves list
Sanctuary Hotel New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   132 West 47th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
TripAdvisor Fans Save 20%
Ranked #25 of 456 Hotels in New York City
Atlanta, Georgia
“Spectacular”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Our stay at the Sanctuary was only a short one night stay - but it was wonderful. From the minute we walked up to the stoop everyone was so helpful. We were greeted and directed where to go by the lovely door man/bell hop and the young lady at the front desk was equally as pleasant and helpful. Check in was a breeze and afterwards they showed us to our room. Our bags were delivered promptly, and we hit to town to find lunch. I wish I could remember the lunch place because I would plug it here - the sangria was TO DIE FOR and so so inexpensive.

The hotel was central to exactly what we (okay, I) was there for - BROADWAY. Just a short walk to the Gershwin Theatre :) and because it was so close we were able to go up to the rooftop bar for our complimentary glass of champagne before the show. We had some cocktails too, but I didn't particularly care for mine. Too sweet, though maybe I would have liked them more during spring or summer. Just didn't have many winter drink choices.

I left my very important, way over priced prescription sunglasses behind and being winter I didn't realize it until weeks later when I was preparing for a trip to the islands. I called and even though I couldn't remember my room they were able to confirm they had them! All I had to do was pay shipping and handling and I had them in time for my trip.

I definitely would recommend it, as it is a great place. The only negative thing I have to say is that the lobby smelled a little too strongly of cinnamon for my liking, but I think that is a small price to pay for excellent quality and service.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
We are excited to hear that you had such an enjoyable experience with us.

Should your travels bring you back to New York City, please think of The Sanctuary. We would love to have you back for another "spectacular" visit.

Jeremy Poon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
  • Arabic first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Stayed at the sanctuary for 3days with some friends hotel staff are very friendly and helpful, hotel is very stylish if a little dark. Rooms are quiet small which is common in New York however the leatherette bed frames make it even smaller and I walked into them all the time. The roof top terrace is a great place to meet for a drink, only downside is all the space, tables and seating are reserved for private parties or after work drinks. We could only stand at the bar so only went once had one drink and left, it would be nice if residents could have somewhere to sit and enjoy a drink. Overall I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Thank you for your review.

We are happy to know that you enjoyed your time with us. We will certainly look into other alternatives of accommodating our hotel guests when our rooftop lounge Haven is busy.

We hope to have you back soon.

Katy, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

I had been researching New York Hotels on TripAdvisor to plan a first time trip to New York with my daughter. I called the Sanctuary inquiring about the hotel, explaining that this was our first time visit. The reservations specialist, Steven, helped me above and beyond!!! It is a rarity these days to have excellent customer service. First time impressions can really make a difference. To be honest, the Sanctuary was not even on the radar, but after speaking with Steven and all wonderful people at the Sanctuary, I knew that my daughter and I would be taken care of during our visit. The decision was a no brainer! We are so excited to come to the Santuary!

And, as for you Steven...you deserve a raise...you are awesome!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Thank you for the great feedback. It very rare that a future guests of ours take the time to write such a review before they even arrive.

We can't wait to have you and your daughter stay with us. I am confident that we will be able to create a memorable experience. See you soon.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

We had the pleasure of spending 10 days at The Sanctuary. Everything about this Hotel was fantastic. The location was perfect to the Theatre District, Subway, Rockefeller Center and an easy walk or MTA trip to anywhere we wanted to go. The Reception staff were amazingly friendly and helpful. The concierge staff, Jimmy and Brandon were a wealth of local knowledge and had access to those difficult to acquire Theatre Tickets. The doorman were always happy to see us and made us feel welcome. The Sanctuary certainly lived up to its name when we would return after a busy day. Walking along 47th Street we would see the red carpet and know peace and quiet and welcoming staff awaited us. We would not hesitate to recommend this Hotel to our friends and hope to return some day.

Room Tip: Sorry no pool. Clicked by mistake. Choose a Deluxe room. A little bigger than standard.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
We are so delighted to know that your 10-day experience with us was such a fabulous one.

We appreciate your wonderful feedback and would love the opportunity to welcome you back for another great visit.

Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

From start to finish our day was delightful. Markees at the door greeted us with a smile and helped us in. Once inside the appearance of the decor and staff was so inviting. The front desk agent Jena informed us of all Sanctuary had to offer and how we can make sure our stay was everything we wanted. We enjoyed the location, Haven restaurant and all the staff's friendliness and eager to please attitude. I rate the Sanctuary five stars.

• Stayed May 2014
We are ecstatic that we were able to provide you with the 5 star service that you deserve.

The staff make every effort to create an experience that is both unique and memorable. "Service Tailored to Any Request" is our motto, and we will continue to strive for the best possible experiences for our guests.

We hope to see you back with us soon.

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Sanctuary, rooms of typical size for a centrally located capital city hotel. Breakfast was great which set you up for the day. Staff can either make or break a stay at a hotel and I have to say the staff here MADE it. I have stayed at numerous hotels around the world and the staff here were the most helpful, friendly and cheerful staff I have ever come across and made our stay just that bit more special. If staff are not happy they should look elsewhere for work as they can ruin a stay for travellers in seconds. Special thanks have to go to Andrew on the front desk and to Brandon and Jimmy, the concierge staff who were the human equivalents of google. Thanks also go to the door staff whose names now escape me. But thanks to all for making our stay so enjoyable. We will be back!

Stayed June 2014
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with us.

Knowing that the staff "made" your stay here, brings smiles to all our faces. As we continue to strive to provide our guests with the very best, we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Tynemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

This hotel really was a Santuary to us during our recent 3 night stay in NYC, we couldn't wait to return after a long day in the bustling big city. Staff were fantastic - we were made to feel like royalty, breakfast was great, the room small but perfectly formed & location is fantastic. We even got a complimentary bottle of bubbly to celebrate our honeymoon! The only comment I would make is that it is also home to a pretty trendy bar so evenings get very busy and loud in the lobby area, but this bother us at all and our room was perfectly silent.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
It's always great to hear when guests enjoy their experience with us.

We appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you back soon.

Jeremy Poon

Been to Sanctuary Hotel New York? Share your experiences!