“Another enjoyable stay at Sanctuary Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sanctuary Hotel New York

You added Sanctuary Hotel New York to your Saves list
Sanctuary Hotel New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   132 West 47th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
TripAdvisor Fans Save 20%
Ranked #25 of 454 Hotels in New York City
County Durham
“Another enjoyable stay at Sanctuary Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

I reviewed Sanctuary Hotel after first staying there in February 2012 where I gave it 5 out of 5. We have just returned to the hotel for 7 nights in May and although I am giving it 4 out of 5 this time we still had an enjoyable stay but I will explain why for the drop in rating. The hotel itself still looks really good from the outside especially at night when it is lit up and it certainly stands out in the street. It is literally only 30 seconds from Times Square so location is excellent if that is the area of Manhattan where you want to be. When we walked in everything was exactly how I remembered it from before. We were greeted by Julio on our arrival and had our bags taken from us, offered a coffee which was free and a blessing after a long flight from the UK and we were checked in by Steph which only took a matter of moments and we were allocated our room which was on the fourth floor of the hotel, this by sheer coincidence was the same room we were given when we stayed back in 2012. Our bags arrived shortly afterwards and it did feel like home from home. The view out of the window wasn't the best as this just looked onto another building but that wasn't a major issue. The room itself was a Deluxe Queen room which was ample in size for the two of us. There was enough storage to fully unpack, a large screen TV, a mini bar which we didn't use, an iron and small ironing board, hairdryer and the usual things you'd expect in a hotel of this nature. The toilet is separated by a sliding door and the shower is in the room but separated by a curtain for privacy - again this wasn't an issue for us as we knew what to expect from our previous stay. Suffice to say there were no issues with the room at all. During our last stay at Sanctuary there was no rooftop bar and the bar area was downstairs near to the reception. This area has now been transformed into a restaurant called 'Tender' which wasn't officially opened however there were people using it and we were told that this was one of a number of 'soft openings' before it's grand opening although I'm not sure when this is. I was looking forward to sampling the rooftop bar which was as it turns out an area I have mixed feelings about. The rooftop itself is nicely decorated and it does have a good atmosphere. It consists of a number of tables and chairs for sit down meals and also a number of more comfortable chairs/loungers with smaller tables to relax. The bar when we went was pretty much always very busy as it caters for non-hotel guests as well. This in itself means that in the reception area there were people waiting in queues at the elevators to go up to the ninth floor where Haven is located. There are two elevators in the hotel which meant and at times both were taking people not staying at the hotel up to Haven. There was a doorman whose job it was to direct people to the elevator who wasn't very personable and appeared quite intimidating which was certainly the opposite to other staff members. He would also appear in Haven itself, very rarely if ever spoke to us or acknowledged us which again goes against the other staff members. I'm guessing he would be what we call a bouncer in the UK to avert any trouble but that doesn't mean he can't be friendly and approachable. Another gripe I have with Haven is that once we got up there and get seated and comfortable for the night, on more that one occasion we were then told that a large party have arrived and would we mind sitting at the bar, not that there were any available seats at the bar so we ended up being moved and standing. I understand that the table and chairs for sit down meals need to be reserved but the other seats should on a first come first served basis, I thought it was a bit off being seated and then asked if we would move half way through the night especially being paying guests staying at the hotel and I feel that this is something which the hotel does need to address somehow. I know that the hotel needs to make money but people staying there shouldn't be shunned in favor of non-hotel guests especially when it prides itself on excellent service. The rooftop bar can be very loud and even though we were on the fourth floor we could still hear the noise from there on a night although I must say that this wasn't loud enough to disturb any sleep but I would think that those staying on higher floors might say differently. Food was very good at Haven (the truffle fries are lovely) and the drinks for the most are reasonable priced especially with Happy Hour being between 4pm-7pm. I must point out that there was never any trouble at Haven and everyone did seem to be having a good time and apart from a few major gripes so did we but whether this would cater for families with children I don't know and I just hope that with the arrival of Haven and the impending arrival of Tender that the hotel doesn't send out mixed messages of exactly what it wants to be (Nightclub or Hotel) because the only real areas other than your room where you can relax where it is relatively quiet is the lobby/reception area but when Tender opens I can't see this being the case anymore. Breakfast at the hotel is again on the rooftop, they offer a continental breakfast with toast, oatmeal, scrambled eggs, bagels and cereals along with juices and tea/coffee. The selection is more than ample and also there were never any problems finding a seat. A special mention must go out to the concierge Jacob and Brandon and Jimmy were the main ones we spoke with and Stephen on reception were all great. We saw the owner on quite a few occasions walking around the hotel however he didn't speak or acknowledge us which again would have been nice of him to do so considering we were staying there but I guess he's busy doing other things. Overall I would recommend Sanctuary as a place to stay, there are a lot of excellent reviews which tell their own story. Our stay was really good but like I touched on earlier on I just hope that the introduction of Haven and Tender doesn't inadvertently overshadow everything else which is excellent about this hotel with the loud music and numerous non-hotel guests visiting for drinks because that would be a real shame.

Room Tip: With Haven on the rooftop I would get a room somewhere in the middle floors of the hotel to avert an...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Thank you for providing us with such a thorough review. We always appreciate when guests take the time out of their busy schedules to provide us with good and constructive feedback.

I'm sorry that your experience this time around was not flawless like your previous stay. We do have a few new and exciting things happening with the opening of our new restaurant. The last thing we would want to do in inconvenience any of our guests or make them feel unwelcomed.

Rest assured that I will address your concerns with the Haven Rooftop management team as well as the security company that ensures our safety. We strive to provide the very best for all our guests and will use your comments as a tool to improve the services that we offer.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Jeremy Poon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (465)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at The Sanctuary Hotel at the beginning of May and it was great from start to finish. The location was a stones-throw from Times Square, the Metro and 6th Avenue, making it perfect for getting anywhere. All the staff were very friendly and helpful (nothing was too much trouble) from the doormen to receptionists to maids and the rooms were exceptionally clean as well as stylish and well maintained. The bed was really comfy and the shower was amazing - both vital after long, tiring days in NYC. The continental breakfast was more than adequate and our one meal at the Haven restaurant was fantastic. Our only (small) gripe was the reception area which was quite dark, making it feel a little imposing plus difficult to see when signing in/out. It also serves as a gateway to the hotel's busy downstairs restaurant, meaning we often had to squeeze past a queue of non-residents to get in the lift to our room.A small niggle however, and we would definitely stay again when we return to New York.

• Stayed May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent visit to The Sanctuary Hotel.

We appreciate the feedback and would love to see you back with us again soon.

Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I thought this hotel was a great place to stay. Very close to Times Square and 10 minutes walk from Macy's was a good location for us. The staff were all charming, friendly and helpful. Our room was a bit dingy and we could hear the partying downstairs as we were just above the restaurant/club but this was not loud enough to keep me awake. The room was clean and comfortable and the shower was great. The rooftop bar was buzzing and had a fun atmosphere we were pleasantly surprised to find such a vibrant place to go in our hotel. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who thrives on good service and a good cocktail!

Room Tip: Higher floors will get less noise from the downstairs club/restaurant.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
We appreciate the feedback and hope to have you back with us again. I'd like to apologize if any of the noise from our new restaurant caused inconvenience to you.

We look forward to your next visit.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

Our first trip to New York, a dream holiday the Sanctuary hotel and staff could not have been better, YO to Brian and the twins and all the concierge staff, they were so helpful and so so full of help and advice....Sanctuary is the BEST hotel in New York........I will be back...Brooklyn Glen....

Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays

JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
We are delighted to hear that your first trip to New York was such a memorable one.

We hope to see you back with us again in the near future.

Hitchin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

Well – what can I say about this hotel that has not been said quite a few times..? You don’t get to the top 30 on this site by being a poor hotel..! I think that its important that I review this hotel, not the holiday as that would be very unjust to the Sanctuary – I had a great time in NY so it will of course bleed through to this review (but I will try to be impartial!).

Now, I have read that the rooms are small – I do however wonder where people are used to staying... We had the Superior King room – there was ample space for 2 people here, in fact it was decidedly a big room. Its NY – you will not get a massive room if you book the smallest one the hotel offers... It was very well decorated, had all we needed and looks amazing. There are a few sets of draws, a cupboard, safe and separate toilet away from the shower. The shower is unreal – I could use that every day with pleasure! You of course get hairdryer, shower gel, shampoo and soaps along with dressing gowns and some very nice towels.

The rest of the hotel lives up to a very high standard, this starts as you pull up outside with the doormen (who are great) helping us out of the cab and into the hotel... The reception staff are fantastic and the welcome drink is a great touch (Coffee and Tea available) and sets the tone. I was a touch jaded at check in as I am sure many people are but they looked after me very well...

The concierge staff are world class – Jacob & Jimmy are fantastic. If you want to know anything they will help – and they literally know everything, from Coney Island to Central Park and everything in between. The helped me arrange Champagne on arrival and this was presented so well (along with some cookies for Mrs Armstrong’s Birthday and a card signed by ALL the hotel staff – how nice is that!). They really are the Stars of this hotel...

The haven is nice, but not really my cup of tea – so it’s unfair to comment on this as I prefer a different type of bar. However, it’s very nice up there and I am sure some will love it... The cocktails are well made and look great and the staff as across the hotel offer a very high level of customer service.

All in all this is a great hotel, location for Midtown is perfect – but again, your 100 yards from Time Square so expect some noise! This was however not an issue – but I have seen people use this as a negative. Again, its NY and in the thick of it so what is to be expected here?!

Will I stay again, yes if I return to Manhattan – but if there was a hotel ran by this team anywhere else I would go there too!

Room Tip: If you want space book a bigger room...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your amazing experience at The Sanctuary Hotel.

It's wonderful feedback such as yours that motivate the staff to continuously strive to provide our guest with the very best. Knowing that we were able to create such as lasting impression for you, brings smiles to all our faces.

We would certainly love to have the opportunity to welcome you back to your new home away from home and hope to see you soon.

Vienna, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Just stayed 3 nights with my daughter, my sister, and my niece. My sister's room was so small and claustrophbic that they had to beg for two nights to be moved. Their "window" was glazed over. Even the "bigger" rooms are small. At night, the hotel turns into a club and you have to elbow your way through the crowd to get to your elevator. Not a sanctuary at all. The hallways are very dark. while the hotel staff were friendly, one of the bouncers was very rude. The club clearly caters to men, complete with girls in little black dresses gyrating to the thump thump thump of club music. Creepy!! on the pro side, it is close to many attractions, negating the constant need for cabs.

Room Tip: Don't get a room along the fire escape. No natural light.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
I‘d like to apologize that your experience at our unique hotel, did not meet your expectations. It saddens us, as we would like to provide a flawless stay for everyone. I'm very sorry if the opening of our new restaurant caused any inconvenience.

We pride ourselves in being an authentic Manhattan lifestyle boutique hotel, with European inspired hospitality. As you see from our reviews, guests appreciate that we simply strive to provide them with intimate, genuine and personalized service, creating a "home away from home" atmosphere. We wish that the Sanctuary Hotel could be the ideal choice for everyone. However, we understand that different guests have different needs, and that is why we put so much emphasis on creating an experience that is tailored to each individual.

Our rooms are designed with the intent of maximizing use of space and most important…comfort. A warm palette of deep orange, chocolate brown and cognac, highlight our rooms, along with oversized headboards and plush pillow-top mattresses that complement the luxurious European sheets, duvets and terry, while crystal chandeliers add glamour that present and overall ambiance that is inviting and warm.

We believe in providing value and offer amenities that most hotels in NYC charge for such as, complimentary breakfast, complimentary Wi-Fi and complimentary passes to “Equinox” gym.

We feel very strongly about the representation of our product, and the genuine care that we provide for our guests. Guest feedback is always important to us. Being well received, and with so many compliments from our past reviewers, I believe that we are heading in the right direction and will continue to improve upon the services that are provided.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we will definitely address your concerns.

Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Just returned after a week in New York, May 2014, and the Sanctuary Hotel, a short walk from Times Square, was a key factor in the enjoyment had in this fabulous city. We had three rooms to cope with the family needs and all were presented to high order. Yes, the rooms are small, but they are clean and very well presented and are maintained daily to a high standard. Breakfast is served on the roof and there is plenty of food variation to start your day. Staff were welcoming, helpful and very knowledgeable about the how, where and what to see. Would highly recommend and will use again when we return to New York.

Room Tip: Trust the staff as we did, we had no complaints.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
We appreciate the feedback and thank you for your trust of confidence with the staff. The goal is to provide our guests with the very best services and I'm glad we could do that for you.

Jeremy Poon

Been to Sanctuary Hotel New York? Share your experiences!