“180 Degree Turn Around - I am a Total Convert!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sanctuary Hotel New York

You added Sanctuary Hotel New York to your Saves list
Sanctuary Hotel New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   132 West 47th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
TripAdvisor Fans Save 20%
Ranked #25 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
“180 Degree Turn Around - I am a Total Convert!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

I wrote a pretty scathing review on this hotel in October of last year and was actually contacted by the management with a request to please come back and give them another chance. They were so lovely and apologetic over the phone that I decided to give it another whirl and boy, am I happy to report that my first visit was my first was simply the hotel having a bad few days and not at all the norm! The Sanctuary is now my new home away from home in NYC. The staff is friendly, professional, courteous. The hotel is clean, beautiful, well done and well kept up. The rooms are lovely although do spend the extra money for the larger rooms it really is worth it and makes the stay MUCH more enjoyable. I am a very picky and discriminating guest and The Sanctuary had to work hard to get these five stars from me. It is a wonderful spot, great location, well run, with a truly devoted management and staff that is working hard to make a great impression. Thank you Sanctuary Team for making me come back and give you all another chance! Mary Norton.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the street and pay for the larger rooms...they are worth the premium prices...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
Nothing feels better than to turn a negative situation with a guest into a great one.

I'm happy to here that your visit with the Sanctuary Hotel was so memorable. It was a pleasure having the opportunity to meet with you during your stay. Knowing that this time around you were able to experience the Sanctuary Hotel the way it was meant to be, puts a big smile on all our faces.

We look forward to having you back in the future and know that you will always have a "home away from home" at the Sanctuary Hotel.

Warmest Regards,

Jeremy Poon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

The last time we were in NYC we stayed at the Casablanca, but the Sanctuary was about $200 less, so we stayed here on the advice of my cousin. We arrived at 1AM, so it seemed a little spooky when we checked in since the decor is mostly black and red. Our room was on the 6th floor facing the street. Yes, the room is tiny, but after a while it becomes quite cozy! Rain shower was nice with quality bath products. There were Frette linens on the very comfortable bed.Things looked much brighter in the morning. The breakfast is OK- nothing exciting- cereal, bagels, OJ, coffee.Happy hour in the bar was fun- sitting by the big fireplace eating snacks and drinking wine- the bartenders were very solicitous. The best part is the staff! They were all super helpful with maps, suggestions, directions, etc. On our last night my son called me and asked me to bring a cupcake and candle for a birthday dinner that night- here we are with an hours notice to find this item in a city we don't know! So I remembered the advertised "STAR" concierge service and called the front desk. Within 30 minutes, there was a knock at our door. It was the concierge, Freddie with a boxed cupcake AND candles beautifully wrapped in a gift bag! Wow! Now that is impressive! Just a side note, my sister was staying at the W, and it took her 5 phone calls and 90 minutes to get wine glasses delivered to the room! We were so happy to be in our small but attentive hotel! Freddie also suggested we walk the Highline and eat at Chelsea Mkt- great! Yes Freddie is Fabulous and the Sanctuary is very good! "Til next time!"

Room Tip: Get a room away from the street or just turn the fan to "on" all night.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with us on tripadvisor.com.

We pride ourselves in our S.T.A.R. program, which was created to provide our guests with a personalized and tailored experience according to each guests' specific needs. We are delighted to know that our S.T.A.R. team was able to accomplish this for you during your stay.

I hope that all your future visits with us will be just as memorable.

Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

I enjoyed the hotel. Rooms are about the size you expect in NYC. It is close to everything. I stayed on the 5th floor away from the street. Very little street noise. Staff was helpful and friendly. I sat in the lobby working for about 2 hours one afternoon and the bartender/waiter guy made my life very pleasant (reminded me to drink my tea and gave me more hot water when I forgot). Wish both elevators had been working. And there was some weird thing with my TV -- you have to sort of re-boot it every time you turn it on. It took a bit, but I figured it out. The a/c was a little loud at times, but not overwhelming.

Room Tip: HIgher floor -- away from the street and the elevator
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

The name says it all. This hotel is indeed a Sanctuary. The dim lighting, music, and ambience in the lobby felt like you are in a spa.

Moved hotels after 3 nights to try this one out due to the great reviews I have read and I"m glad that I did. Stayed one night on March 29th and I wished that I stayed here for my entire stay. The hotel is located half a block away from Time Square. There is a Fedex across the street which came in handy as I had to ship a package back to the office. All of the staff were very friendly and greeted me by name.

The hotel has a great lounge and the lobby/guestroms looked newly renovated. The bed was comfortable and it nice having a view. The bathroom, especially the shower stall was one of the best ones I've seen. I was in room 513 and it was facing out onto 47th street. The tiles in the bathroom were neat. (It felt like leather). It had a stocked minibar and the prices were decent. The restaurant and rooftop bar was not yet open, but there was complimentary breakfast in the morning. They do not have a fitness centre but they offer passes to a private gym.

There are steps at the entrance and I didn't see a ramp, but the doorman will assist with luggage. They also have a STAR Manager (concierge) who helped with restaurant recommendations.

I will definetly use this hotel again if the next time I am in NYC

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, April 3, 2012
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience here at the Sanctuary Hotel. Knowing that you changed hotels and decided to come stay with us instead, brings smiles to all our faces.

We hope that all your future travels to NYC will be at the Sanctuary Hotel.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

We stayed at the Sanctuary Hotel March 14-17 - what a fabulous hotel. The staff were so helpful and friendly. We would like to mention Brandon, as he was a huge help to us. This was our first visit to NYC and the staff made it a special one. Our plane arrived very early in the morning and we had planned to just store our bags and then head off for the day. However, when we arrived we were given a room upgrade and we were checked into our room before 6:30am!! The location is perfect and easy to get to. We had a room at the front of the hotel, but did not find it in the least bit noisy. We would happily recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Brandon will be extremely happy to read about your comments. We appreciate the feedback and are glad that we were able to accommodate all your needs.

Should your travels bring you back to NYC, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Acton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

Super-convenient to me, visiting home office right around the corner. Couldn't be better. Highly recommended. Bed was extra-comfy.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback.

We hope to see you again soon.

MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

This is hands down the best hotel I've ever been to. My baby & I stayed here for my BDay & our anniversary. The doormen grabbed our bags from the taxi & whisked us right to the front desk to check in as soon as we pulled up. The lobby & the rest of the hotel is sexy, clean, & very upscale. A bottle of champagne & a cupcake were sent to my suite with two cards signed by the staff. The room was VERY cozy & had just enough space. The bed & shower were AMAZING! The shower in the same room as the bed really added to the romantic flavor it already has. It's located only one block from Times Square literally. They also have a bar of soap that smells so good! Had to ask for some to take home with me lol. The staff were extremely nice. This is my new permanent hotel every time I visit NYC now. I'm recommending all of my family & friends also. Only complaint I have is the weak wifi but everything else was excellent.

Room Tip: The King suite is the room I had. Well worth the money.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sanctuary Hotel New York? Share your experiences!