“dream stay :) great hotel and staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sanctuary Hotel New York

You added Sanctuary Hotel New York to your Saves list
Sanctuary Hotel New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   132 West 47th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
TripAdvisor Fans Save 20%
Ranked #25 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Swords, Dublin, Ireland
“dream stay :) great hotel and staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

sorry for late review guys but we would like to say that we loved this hotel , wow fantastic great location right on top of times square but tucked away so you dont get the noise. the staff were amazing couldnt have been more helpfull. The room was was beautiful very nice decor and a massive shower that you would never wanna ge out off, could fit 3 people in easy the bed was so comfy and changed on a daily basis with fresh sheets was a dream to fall back into every night after a long day in NYC. The only negative i have and i really dont want to use because this place is amazing our room only had a window on to a brick wall so we didnt know what time of day it was . if you are looking for a chic , beautiful botique hotel that is close to everything and has great staff the sanctuary is not to be missed. Thankyou for making our week stay a great 1 .

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
St. Louis, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012 via mobile

The Sanctuary is right off of Times Square. The location affords one visiting New York the ability to get to and from anywhere in Manhatten very easily. Beware however that everything in the vicinity is touristy and grossly overpriced.

The Sanctuary is a small and intimate hotel. The decirating has been done in such a way as to make the hotel look and feel very hip. Smart design tricks have been used to make the place asthetically appealing.

Our room which contained two double beds was adequate but in no way shape or form luxurious. The bathroom was tiny but well designed except for the lack of a shower door. Just note that there is no privacy - none. If your coming on a romantic trip this factor could prove challenging.

Coming to New York one must understand that physical space is sold and rented at premium. Our room was perhaps a total of 200 square feet. The room was quiet (we heard no road or crowd noise) but had absolutely no view whatsoever. The window faced a wall that was approximately 4 feet away. Therefore there was very little daylight. The lobby and public spaces are lit by artificial light which sets a very nice mood BUT, there is absolutely no day light in any of the public spaces. If one is looking for a nice place to sit and enjoy the view, any view, or to soak up some natural light this is totally impossible in this hotel - it does not exist here.

The service at The Sanctuary is EXCELLENT. One night I asked the concierge to assist me with discount theater tickets and he walked to the TKTS booth a block away and called me to say which shows we could get tickets for and the prices. Amazing! The staff was top notch from the front end to the back. A1. In 53 years on the planet I have not received better service in a hotel. You have to go to a high end - very expensive - resorts to find service as good.

Don't miss Amy's Bakery just a few blocks away off ninth for out of this world baked goods - cake - for a reasonable price relative to NY.

• Stayed March 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

My wife and I went to NYC on part business and pleasure and stayed at Sanctuary 3/22 - 3/24 2012. Sanctuary is a relatively new hotel (about 1 year old) and is beautifully decorated and designed (very funky and modern) and very clean. Located in Times Square on W47th between 6th and 7th, you are literally steps from Times Square. If you like boutique hotels, you will love this hotel. Like most boutique hotels it is small and the rooms are small, but UNLIKE many boutique hotels they make very good and practical use of the space so it doesn't feel small at all. The staff is incredibly nice and genuinely happy to see you every time you walk by them...almost every person we encountered that worked there started talking to us and asking about our stay and our time in NYC. The entire hotel atmosphere has a lounge feel with great music playing at all times...it literally makes you feel like it is a Sanctuary in the middle of NYC. The only thing that takes a little getting used to is the lighting. Because of the lounge feel, the common areas (only) are a bit dark because there is mostly accent lighting rather than general lighting. So it feels like evening at all times...it is an interesting experience when you walk out the front door and realize it is daylight. It took a little getting used to and even with our short stay, we got used to it very quickly. My wife and I actually liked it because it does make it feel like a sanctuary and an escape, even while being in the middle of NYC, so we found it calming. I would like to emphasize that only the common areas are a bit dark, the rooms themslves are NOT dark at all and are very bright and have great lighting. Lastly, I would like to give a shout out to the bartender, Rudy. Rudy was one of the first staff that we met (obviously because he works at the bar :). Rudy was very sociable and customer-service oriented. He has a great, fun attitude and is one of those bartenders that you can have long conversations with. I asked if he could make a pear martini and he said they didn't have the exact ingredients but immediately said "don't worry I will make you something". He used a combination of different ingredients (not sure what), and I loved it because it was unique. After that first night, he always remembered my name and would call out my name and say hello everytime I passed by. He encouraged us to come back for another drink. When he saw me and my wife approaching the bar area the next night, Rudy was already half way into making my martini before I even got there or said anything to him. This is the kind of service that you get from all the staff. They make you feel special. So I highly recommend this hotel and when you go to the bar, ask for Rudy and tell him Jason sent you.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us on tripadvisor.com.

Many would agree that our rooms are well appointed and we make every effort to maximize use of space in our design. I would also like to suggest that you try our deluxe rooms the next time that you stay with us. I trust that with the additional space and upgraded amenities, you will find more comfort for you stay.

We make every effort to try and create a Sanctuary experience for all our guests. I am glad that we were able to achieve this with your visit. We are also happy to hear that you and your wife thoroughly enjoyed your time with us. Our goal is to ensure that all experiences at the Sanctuary, are memorable, unique and genuine.

Rudy will be so ecstatic to read about your great comments and knowing that he was able to connect with you and make you feel at home brings a smile to all our faces.

We hope to see you and your wife back with us soon, especially for our rooftop lounge opening very soon.

Bay Head, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

Stayed at The Sanctuary and was so impressed, we got home and booked it for another stay. Great location for a weekend theater getaway. Hotel within walking distance of all theaters. Took the train into Penn Station and hitched a subway up to hotel area. Very convenient as there is a subway stop within one block of hotel. Staff was wonderful and even received a free upgrade. Very clean and calming atmosphere. We would highly recommend anyone going to NYC to stay here.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Knowing that you booked a return stay with us immediately after you returned home, is that biggest compliment that we could receive.

We can't wait to have you back again with us. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Santiago, Chile
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

For a short stay this hotel is an excellent choice, really close to the heart of Times Square. Liked their staff, their service and friendly environment. Excellent bedding, clean and comfortable room, needed for travelers like me that do a lot of walking and need a pleasant rest in your hotel.

Only suggestion, but understand is kind of a unique design style, is have either the lobby or other places with more natural light.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback.

We are glad that you enjoyed the comfort of our bed and linens. Thank you for the suggestions in regards to the lighting. Our design is constantly evolving, so suggestions are always appreciated.

We hope to see you again soon.

Bridgetown, Barbados
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

Just stayed one night, but wish I had more time... will definitely stay with Sanctuary again. Great customer service at check in, and the concierge had really good advice for getting last minute broadway tickets for my one night there. My room was small, but I expected that, and it was so well deisgned and with such high quality finish that it really didn't matter. Great bed, great shower, nice linens and shampoo etc. All added up to an experience that surpassed my expectations. Wonderful location for exploring the city, and that was important to me because I had so little time there.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
I am glad that our S.T.A.R. service team was able to assist you with last minute bookings with Broadway tickets.

Knowing that we were able to surpass your expectations, brings smiles to all our faces. We hope that you will have more time during your next stay with us, so that you can experience even more of what the Sanctuary Hotel has to offer.

Guelph
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

We loved our 4 day stay at the Sanctuary hotel. It was located right next to Times square, had a parking lot right across the street (40$/24 hours, which is a good price). The hotel is calming (because of the low lighting and calm atmosphere). The rooms are very clean and sexy looking. The bed was VERY comfortable and we slept great, especially after a long day of walking. There were two "downsides" to our stay in the hotel... I asked for a window in the room...we got a window, but it was facing a dark brick wall (which was about 1 foot away from the window), but I guess that made it very quiet during the night. The second thing would be the "continental breakfast". I thought that it was going to be a bit more (since it had a 15$ value), but I was kind of disappointed. But on the bright side, at least there was something and it was enough to keep us ok until lunch time.
The staff is extremely friendly and very talkative and helpful.

I definitely recommend this hotel and will be staying there again the next time I'm in NYC.

Room Tip: Ask for a window (with a view) if you want to see NYC at night. Ask for a room away from the elevat...