“highly recommended” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sanctuary Hotel New York

You added Sanctuary Hotel New York to your Saves list
Sanctuary Hotel New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   132 West 47th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
TripAdvisor Fans Save 20%
Ranked #25 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Vancouver, Canada
“highly recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

This was our first trip to NYC to celebrate a notable anniversary but we weren't sure where to stay....upper westside, eastside...midtown...on the recommendation of a friend we booked The Sanctuary given its convenient proximity to many of the sights...Times Square is just around the corner, Broadway and 5th Ave just a few minutes away. From the moment we arrived we were greeted by professional and friendly staff who's motto was 'service service service.' Our room was impeccable (crisp white linens) and well laid out. In every respect this hotel did not disappoint, from the complementary bubbly and chocolate pastries, fresh orange juice served with breakfast to the concierge who was able to book us last minute tables both Fri and Sat nights...we loved The Big Apple and collapsing 'home' each evening after a full day made our stay even more memorable. Our rooom was situated on the 4th floor at the back of the hotel and it was very quiet. We would not hesitate to return to The Sanctuary and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a clean and jazzy boutique style mid town hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

I recently stayed at this wonderful hotel with two girlfriends. From the moment we stepped out of the limousine upon arrival, we were treated like royalty. It is perfectly located and steps away from everything. All of the hotel staff were wonderful and extremely helpful. We arrived early and were happy and pleasantly surprised to hear that our room was ready for us. We instantly made a new bff named Freddie, who was the hotel concierge on duty during our stay. He is wonderful and a wealth of information on what to do, see, eat and where to shop in NYC!! He recommended some fabulous spots. Our room was located on the 6th floor and was very comfortable. One thing we did notice is that there is no mirror within the actual bedroom, only in the bathroom..would be a nice touch to the room. Although located next to the elevator, the room was quiet for NYC. After a very long day of shopping, we arrived back to our room to find a note and a bottle of champagne from our friend (or as my friends say..my new bff, Freddie). We were very impressed with this, as it was a nice touch and a simple thing to make hotel guests feel welcome. We have all stayed in numerous hotels during our travels and all agreed that the Sanctuary Hotel is a keeper. We will definitely recommend this hotel to our friends. Can't wait to visit again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
We are happy to hear that your experience at the Sanctuary Hotel was "Fabulous".

We make every effort to create a memorable visit for all our guests and knowing that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us, puts a smile on all our faces.

Freddie will be so delighted to read about your comments. We hope to have you back soon.

Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

Nice staff, comfortable beds, sheets and decent location- no gym on premises but they allow use of one just a few blocks away, good happy hour in the lobby- room was very quiet which is great in the city.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for providing us with feedback in regards to your visit at the Sanctuary Hotel.

For your future travels, I would suggest that you give our Deluxe Rooms a try. I trust that the additional space and upgraded amenities will give you an even better experience with us.

We hope to see you soon.

Boise
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

Who knew.. right in mid-town Manhattan and steps away from Times Square is an immaculately clean, affordable and comfortable sanctuary. Outside of wonderful bed, clean rooms, wi-fi, desks, breakfast buffet, central location was the topper.. the service. Every single person from the doorman, to the front desk, to the bartender, barrista and wonderful people who clean the rooms.. were all friendly, accomodating and engaging. And then there is the ultimate concierge..service. What a gem. Thank you for making our business stay, unbelievably pleasurable. In the end.. it's how they made you feel. I felt like I was staying with good friends. Thank you.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback.

We are happy that we could make your business stay pleasurable and we hope to see you again soon, so that you can experience the comfort of the Sanctuary at a leisure level.

Reykjavík, Gullbringusysla, Iceland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

Traveled here with my girlfriend and we stayed for 4 nights. This is the third hotel I've stayed in New York, and by far the best one.

The location can't be beaten, it's on one of the side streets from Times Square and it takes you around 45 seconds to stand in the middle of Times Square. Although it's in a very "hectic" location you never notice it. Inside the hotel it's really relaxed and the whole atmosphere really takes you away from all the stress that New York can be.

Our room was pretty small, but still it was extremely comfortable. The bad thing about the room is that we were located on the 8th floor, away from almost all street noise but there was a church just beside our window which woke us up every morning when the bells started ringing. Pretty annoying but nothing that makes you frustrated. Only that did make me frustrated was the AC, it was extremely loud and pointed right at the bed so we always had it turned off, but I dont know what it was but it would almost always just turn it back on at random times, f.x. in the middle of the night so we would wake up from the noise, and freezing.

The service at the hotel was as good as it gets. Julio at the door I had most interactions with and he was a pleasure to talk to. But every single person we interacted with the hotel were so friendly and it really felt like they wanted you to feel welcome and have your stay as perfect as possible.

We only went to the hotel bar 1 time because they didn't serve Mojito which is our drink of choice so that was kind of strange for a such a well stocked bar. Should mention that the man at the bar though (didn't catch his name) was super friendly and pleasure to be around and seemed to have a lot of fun with all the persons there.

The free-wifi and breakfest included is also very nice. We both actually loved the simple breakfest and I was actually just looking forward to waking up in the morning and grabbing myself a toasted bagle with creame cheese and freshly squeezed orange juice and coffee.

All in all, I would definetely reccomend this hotel to anyone travelling to New York, especially if they want to stay right in the action but still have a place of quiet available to them.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, March 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback.

I apologize if the church bells caused any inconvenience to your stay and we will address the heating problem you experienced.

Julio and the rest of the staff will be pleased to read about your comments.

We hope to see you back soon.

Arlington, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

I found a good online discount on a room for the Sanctuary Hotel, so I booked it for a business meeting I had. I did some background checking, and read about it having been completely remodeled, prior to the opening. The location is excellent! Proximate to Times Square, but removed from the madding crowd; close to 30 Rock, and 5th Avenue. The remodeling was very well done – the spaces are very cool, and atmospheric, so the hotel feels very boutiquey, like a little jewel tucked into a bustling location. Although, I may have jumped the shark – age-wise; the light levels are so low in the hallways that I had a hard time finding the key slot in my room’s front door to get in! That aside, the rooms themselves are very nicely done, and come with free wi-fi. Lovely bed provied a great night's sleep - i hit my snooze the next morning and i never do that! the shower was roomy and well-detailed. My room (610) was very small, as it was tucked near the center of the building. My colleague’s room (313) was on the front of the building and really nicely sized – large, and light-filled, and had the benefit of the flowers over the hotel entry below - ask for that one. The best part of the hotel stay, however, was the service. Although the lobby had espresso and pastries in the morning, we were looking for a place for breakfast (there were two directly across the street), and my colleague mentioned that she was trying to find a place with iced tea. The fellow behind the desk offered to go find her one and bring it back. It was lovely and he said, “Use me! That’s why I’m here” , and you really got the feeling that he was sincere and everyone there had the same attitude. Every person that we came in contact with during our stay could not have been nicer! While the hotel has much to recommend (décor, location, etc.) the staff here really makes a difference! I WILL be back in the future, and would recommend it highly to my friends.

Room Tip: First, ask for a room on the front of the hotel (i.e. 313, 413, 513, 613, if you're used to city...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
I'm happy to hear that the comfort of the room provided you with a great night's sleep.

The next time you come back, you should definitely try our deluxe rooms, like your colleague did. With the added amenities and the additional space, I trust that the experience will cause you to "hit your snooze" more than once.

Thank you for choosing the Sanctuary Hotel as your choice of stay in New York City.

Leesburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

Having traveled to Manhattan numerous times over the years for both business and pleasure I've stayed in all types of hotels ranging from grungy touristy establishments to high end famous five star properties. Sanctuary Hotel was an excellent combination of everything I want in my midtown Manhattan accommodations.

My girlfriend and I knew that we'd be arriving in the city long before the standard check in time and requested an early check in though I had no expectation of actually getting our room at eleven in the morning. I was pleasantly surprised when we were told our room was ready. While a bit on the small side, our room was beautifully appointed and incredibly comfortable. Most importantly to my girlfriend, it was immaculately clean. Our room was on the fifth floor facing 47th Street and we had no real issue with noise. As many have previously stated the sinks and shower are actually in the room with the option of pulling a curtain for privacy. This wasn't an issue for us but worth noting. The toilet is separate behind a sliding wood door. I would have preferred to have had more places to hang wet towels.

The location simply couldn't be better. The craziness that is Times Square is less than a block from the hotel door but I never felt like I was anywhere near that circus when at Sanctuary. The 49th Street subway stop is a two minute walk away and allowed us to get wherever we wanted to go without having to fight our way through Times Square to get to the 42nd Street station. Rockefeller Center, Grand Central Station, Central Park, Hell's Kitchen, Penn Station, and Madison Square Garden are among the attractions within easy walking distance. Since Sanctuary is right in the heart of the theater district we knew that we'd have a short walk no matter which show we opted to see. I would advise first time New York travelers to go a few blocks east or west of Times Square when looking for places to eat. The food is a whole lot less expensive and generic than what you find immediately surrounding Times square.

The staff at the hotel was absolutely wonderful. I'm embarrassed that I don't remember the names of all that helped us throughout our stay but that has nothing to do with them. From check in to breakfast in the morning to holding our bags for us after check out, everything went seamlessly. The staff is a huge asset at this property and I'm sure management understands that.

Overall the stay was everything I could have hoped for. The little touches like the thick soft paper towels in the lobby men's room reinforce that the details matter at Sanctuary. We are already planning our next trip to New York and you can be sure we'll be staying at Sanctuary.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, March 14, 2012
We truly appreciate the detailed feedback.

When guests take the time out of their busy lives to share their experiences at the Sanctuary Hotel, it motivates us to do even better. Reviews like this, definitely points us in the right direction and we can continue to build on that.

I am happy to hear that you and your girlfriend, thoroughly enjoyed your time with us. Thank you and we hope that your next stay will be even better.

Jeremy Poon

Been to Sanctuary Hotel New York? Share your experiences!