“Sanctuary Hotel Young and Hip” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sanctuary Hotel New York

You added Sanctuary Hotel New York to your Saves list
Sanctuary Hotel New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   132 West 47th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
TripAdvisor Fans Save 20%
Ranked #25 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Ottawa, Canada
“Sanctuary Hotel Young and Hip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

Recently, this 50 year old couple stayed at the Sanctuary Hotel and although most of the other guests were young, hip and energetic in the bar area of the lobby, I was very impressed with the hotel's "no party" policy, it was a very quiet hotel and did not even hear the traffic noises of nearby Broadway. The hotel is very clean and in the perfect location.
My only complaint is the room also advertised an "in room safe"... well that safe was a portable box with a combination ~ that could be picked up and removed without any problem. I asked the safe be bolted to the shelf and they said they would consider the request but it never happened. Feeling uncomfortable with this set up, as a result, I had to carry all of our passports and considerable amount of cash around with me. Sorry to say, I felt safer having it with me on the streets than leaving it behind in a hotel room. With that said, I would still consider staying here a again and would recommend it to my friends.

Room Tip: Thinking the nearby elevator was going to be noisy ~ it was not.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, November 4, 2011
We always appreciate feedback from our guests as it continually helps us in improving the services we provide. Here at the Sanctuary Hotel, we take great pride in creating a memorable experience as well as a lasting impression.

I'd like to thank you for taking the time to write this review and want you to know that we will be addressing your concerns in regards to the in-room safes.

We would love to have you back again soon, so that we can provide you with a "perfect" stay.

Warm Wishes,

Sanctuary Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
delray beach fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

This is a gem. Great location. A few blocks from Times Square and you do not hear a thing once you enter the door. Red carpet entrance, 2 lobby bars, seating with fire places and an Asian motif. Friendly, helpful staff to make the stay even more enjoyable. Adorable room - king bed, 2 sink areas, safe. Clean, modern and just perfect. Continental breakfast comes with the room rate. Walking distance to every type of restaurant, the broadway and off-broadway districts. Nice to save on cab fares! Subway station 2 blocks away. Would highly recommend and would return.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review of us on tripadvisor.com.

When guests state that we are a "gem", we take that as a great compliment. We are centrally located in the heart of Times Square and yet through our grand wooden doors is a retreat from the hustle and bustle of the city.

I am glad that you enjoyed your experience here and hope to see you again soon.

Dardenne Prairie, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

Stayed there with a friend for a spur of the moment fun trip to NYC. Picked the hotel over the internet, so we were a bit apprehensive. We were extremely pleased with our accommodations. Yes, the room was a bit small, but space was well used and it worked fine for us. And the rain shower was awesome! Location being 1 block from the "bleachers" on Times Square, it was safe walking at night for 2 women. The staff was absolutely the best! - friendly, personable, and always ready to help with whatever our needs. The Continental Breakfast was very nice. We could go down and get quick breakfast and be on our way. I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to express such wonderful comments about your stay.

All our guests agree and love the rain shower heads that we feature in our rooms. I'm excited to hear that you enjoyed our complimentary continental breakfast. The staff puts forth great effort in providing our guests with the best service possible and it's nice to know when guest are happy about it.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Wollongong, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

We stayed five nights at the Sanctuary in early October and had a wonderful experience. The room was very clean and nicely decorated, but small. We had two working windows, so the fresh air opened things up a bit. We had a problem with the shower but that was fixed straight away. The bed was very comfortable and the room was very quiet for sleeping. The staff were all very friendly and obliging, loved the 'doorman touch' and the turning down of the bed at night. It is a fantastic location,only one block from Times Square and within walking distance to pretty much everything else. Will definitely stay there again, and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for writing a review about your experience at the Sanctuary Hotel.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our stay with us. I am sorry that you had a problem with our showers. I'm glad that we were able to fix it promptly.

We hope to see you again soon.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

I really enjoyed my stay. The room I had was extremely clean and I absolutely loved the shower. The room I think was well laid out and the bed was awesome. I booked online and mentioned that my flight would be arriving at 9 am and was pleasantly surprised that the room was ready so I could grab a nap. The location is just ideal. It's right around the corner from Times Square but not in the midst of madness which I loved. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. I am staying again this week to celebrate my birthday this weekend. For the location and price, can't beat it. I hate nasty hotels and often for a low price you get stuck with a bad hotel and this was the opposite.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
Thank you for providing us with feedback in regards to your stay.

It is nice to hear when guests of the Sanctuary Hotel enjoy their experience. I'm glad that we could accommodate you with an early check in. You are right when you say that the Times Square madness is right around the corner and yet the Sanctuary provides a retreat to all the hustle and bustle.

We look forward to your next stay.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011 via mobile

I stayed at the sanctuary for 5 nights with my girlfriend in September this year.

A lot of reviewed slate the hotel due to ongoing works. This really wasn't an issue. The lobby was having a bit of work done and our floor had been freshly decorated but none of this was a problem.

The staff couldn't have been any more welcoming or helpful. The massive doorman was great and full of hints and tips. The reception staff were great, they made reservations for dinner on a couple of occasions and were always on hand.

The room was well appointed and very clean. The shower was great and I loved the sliding toilet door. The mini bar and snacks withing the room were eclectic and a welcome break from the norm.

I would absolutely stay here again and look forward to returning in a couple of years, not sure I will be able to afford it though as I'd imagine rates might rise once the word gets out!

Chris & Ruth from Scotland

• Stayed September 2011
We truly appreciate when guests such as yourself, take the time to write a great review about us. The staff will be very excited to read about your comments, especially Julio the bellman you spoke of.

I'm glad you enjoyed the room design and its features. We try to utilize every aspect of the room in efforts of creating an environment which would provide the best experience possible.

Thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011 via mobile

My Husband and I stayed here for 7days from 22nd to 29th September. This trip was to celebrate my 40th birthday and we paid extra for deluxe king room however when we booked we where advised that we had been allocated a deluxe queen, the reception staff where very helpful and advised that we could be allocated another room but suggested that we review our room first. We agreed and once in our room where very happy as we had a lovely view (which is very rare in NYC) another nice touch was that when we got into our room I was welcomed with a lovely card and bottle of wine to celebrate my birthday!! The hotel is absolutely gorgeous and will be even more amazing when completely finished - still to finish restaurant though we where not disturbed by any building work. The hotel is decorated to a very high standard and is absolutely spotless, the service was amazing and everyone was always very eager to help you. We only had one small issue with the hotel bar as opening times was quite inconsistent - I think this was due to new staff and would imagine would now be resolved! I would also make sure you get the price of your drinks as the prices where a bit expensive, though we did enjoy a few drinks during happy hour!!

All in all this has been our best trip to New York and I would say this has been one of the best hotels we have stayed in and we are currently planning our next trip and will definitely be returning to the Sanctuary.

• Stayed September 2011
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, November 1, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review about the hotel and the staff.

I am pleased to hear that you chose the Sanctuary Hotel to celebrate your 40th birthday. It's nice to know that you enjoyed your experience here. The staff will be very happy to hear about your comments.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Sanctuary Hotel

Been to Sanctuary Hotel New York? Share your experiences!