“Att. Phillip Starck: Pls dont look at Rooms Condition” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Paramount Hotel Times Square New York

Save Saved
You added Paramount Hotel Times Square New York to your Saves list
Paramount Hotel Times Square New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   235 W 46th Street, Between Broadway & 8th Avenue, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
10% off + Free WiFi
Ranked #316 of 451 hotels in New York City
Vienna, Austria
“Att. Phillip Starck: Pls dont look at Rooms Condition”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

I have been there a few times in the nineties after this Hotel designed by Phillip Stark was opened, and I remember this of one of the most beautiful hotels in the world. Everyone should stay there at least once in his life,
When I arrive, i was happy that the lobby was still looking great, just what Phillip Starck had in mind when building this hotel. This time I was back with my family (wife and little daughter), so I was in need for a bigger room. i knew all the rooms are tiny here, but with two beds in the room its ok.
The place were this hotel is located is the best thing on it, actually on Broadway/Times Square, followed that it was always good from the value. We got a good package from the agency so it was ok, view to the back of Broadway.
The rooms of Paramount always reminded me to a hostel, just designed from Starck which made it unique. No the problem is, that i guess the rooms were not renovated since ther were build. This is a little disappointing, because the famous sink of Phillip Starck only effects in a good condition (I guess Jan Schrager was much more behind that and maintenance that the new owner).
The restaurant and breakfast in the hotel is ridiculous expensive but there is a little coffeeshop next to the entrance which has fresh bakery.
As being the base for walking through Manhattan this hotel is congenial, get to your room only for sleeping or enjoy the lobby for relaxing.
Wlan is extra to pay is a bad idea for a hotel like that, that should be standard nowadays and it doesnt work properly at Hotel Paramount: you pay for 24hrs but once you log out you cant get back and you have to go to the front desk and get a general login key. This stupid wlan provider, gives no option to proove that you have 24hrs access, no helpdesk to reach, should be quit by the hotel immediately. And the worst thing is, when I had to prolong my access for 10 hrs I bought another three days, because this option is prechecked, 35 dollars too much for a dubious provider,
Cleanliness could also be increased: after two days we found a bottle under the bed which was not ours.
Anyway, for one or two nites I will always be back at the Paramount, if I see there any chances of getting renovated rooms.

Room Tip: As high as possible, as everywhere in NYC.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

1,110 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Ayr, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

For our latest stay in New York I wanted to try a hotel further downtown but through a third party website we got a really low price for here so we booked. The lobby area is small but pleasant, with plenty of seating. The room we were allocated was basically a shoebox with a shower attached. I'm used to small rooms in Manhattan but this was tiny. Two people with luggage and the room is full. We had to constantly move our cases around to access the bathroom, the wardrobe, the bed, or use the ironing board. Still, the bed was at least big and comfortable, and we didn't spend a lot of time at the hotel during the day, so it was tolerable and didn't ruin our stay. If you are a first time visitor to New York, and you get a good deal, then the location of the Paramount is excellent. Times Sq. is a one minute walk away. Central Park is ten minutes away, and there are plenty of subway options close by to get to all points. If you have been a few times to New York before then the constant battling through the Times Sq. crowds starts to wear a bit thin after a few days. Location great for first timers, maybe not so great for seasoned visitors. We wouldn't make a point of staying here again, however the price we got on this occasion was probably on the money for the room and location of the hotel.

Room Tip: If you have a lot of luggage, upgrade to a larger room.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
NYCPHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. It’s unfortunate to hear that you felt your room was too small. We have several different size rooms throughout the hotel and our staff is always available to assist with anything you may need in order to insure you are comfortable throughout your stay. We are glad to hear that your bed was comfortable to be in after those long days out and about around the city. We hope that you will give us a second chance in the near future. Should you decide to return please do not hesitate to contact me and I would be more than happy to assist in finding you the best room available to accommodate your needs.

Best regards,
Milan, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

(...Great position very close to Times square). But the rooms are the smallest ever experienced. 2 people with 2 luggages do not know where to put them..... You must move them before opening the bathroom's door...... (Sorry: the little little little bathroom's door...)

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
NYCPHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Please allow me to apologize if you found the room to be too small. We have several rooms at our hotel of varying sizes, and we would be happy to work with you on your next visit to find the perfect fit! We will absolutely discuss your comments with our staff and Management Team to make sure your concerns are heard, and we thank you for bringing them to our attention. We hope that despite your recent experience, you will be kind enough to give us another opportunity to provide you with exemplary service, which you have every right to expect.

Best Regards,
Elverum, Norway
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

When you look at their website, this looks like an awesome hotel. That could not be more misleading! Their photographer must have done an incredible job, because neither the rooms, the lobby or the hotel restaurant looked anything like the pictures. Hugely dissapointing. The queensize bedrooms are so rediculously small that when you enter you get that "is this it?"-feeling. Hardly any room for two suitcases on the floor. We asked for a bigger room and got one with a king size bed. That worked out better. The second thing was the bathrooms. The toilets in both the rooms we stayed in were put so close to the wall and a vent that you had to sit sideways. The third thing was the breakfast buffet. It cost +$40 pr person. Steep for some scrambled eggs and bacon.

And last but not least - there was a cochroach (!) in the hallway outside our room one day.

I'd recommend a hotel in the West Village or maybe Chelsea instead. The location of the Paramount sounds perfect, given its closeness to Times Square, but that only means wading your way through thousands of people to get to the subway or any other thing in that area.

Room Tip: Do not order a room with a queen size bed!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
NYCPHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Please allow me to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. We value each of our guests and it’s never pleasant to be informed that a guest had a negative experience. We believe that our website accurately portrays the look of our hotel including updated pictures from our recent renovation of the Lobby and restaurant. We have several different sized rooms throughout our hotel and we are happy to hear you were accommodated with a room that best fit your needs during your stay. We also have a preventive maintenance program throughout our hotel to ensure our hotel is maintained and kept to the highest cleanliness standards 2-3 days a week on a weekly basis.

We take great pride in our hotel and ensuring all of our guests are well taken care of. Your experience is not indicative of the standard we hold at our hotel. Despite your experience we hope that you will give us a second opportunity to win back your trust and should you what our hotel is truly all about.

Elmira, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

I was a little worried driving in to the city, especially with it being so close to time square. But we had little trouble getting to the hotel, and once there, the valet and check in service made everything very simple. Looking at the pictures on the website, I could see that they had spent a lot of time and work into creating a far from average lobby. It lived up to expectation, but the only negative is when there's a show across the street, and it's raining, many come into the lobby and create a cluttered atmosphere as you try to get to your room.

The rooms, as you would expect in NYC are very...cozy. There's two beds, a tv, an ipod radio clock which have seen better days, and a bathroom. Having stayed in other NYC hotels, it was pretty standard, but far cleaner than any other location I've visited.

When my group looked to kill time before meeting up with friends, or taking in a show, we went down to the bar. During our visit, we were told that none of the coolers were working. Normally when I visit new cities, I try and taste a few of the local brews, but all they had available to us was Stella or Amstel.

The hospitality overall was great. I wear a suit a lot for work, so when I'm not there, I'm normally a jeans and t-shirt guy, and that has led to hotel staff speaking down to me, but no matter what I was wearing, the staff treated me just the same at the Paramount. The real selling point though, was location, location, location. It's around the corner from everything and anything, and within walking distance from all the Time Square Attractions. I'd certainly stay there again on a future trip.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing you recent experience with us. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and received the customer service you desired. We seek to ensure all of our guests feel welcomed and are comfortable throughout their stay. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

I was there for three nights on mini vacation with my daughter. The lobby is lovely. The concierge upon our arrival and every night was a tall gentleman with dark hair he deserves a raise for being so kind. The concierge on our departure went out in the freezing cold at four a.m. to jail us a cab. The room were clean. Perfect view from floor twelve. But my main joy was the EGYPTIAN COTTON SHEETS TOWELS AND THE COMFORTABLE BED. Also there is a wonderful scent of the lobby that I wish they'd make into a perfume. It relaxed me immediately every time I walked in from outside. We will be back in November and hope haywire picks this hotel for us. I loved it.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your 5 star experience with us. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are pleased to hear you loved your recent stay with us. We look forward to welcoming your back in November for another wonderful stay.

london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

This was our first hotel in New York and we were greeted by the most welcoming and professional man, Carlos, he upgraded us and was just fantastic! Our room was fine and the concierge was great also but that's where it ends. The other staff were rude, and for the last few days of our stay the elevators were constantly breaking down and the careless attitude of the numerous staff when they were told was not only insulting but Spoke volumes about how much they really care about their guests. Upon checkout I was paying with a different credit card to the one I left at check in and I was double checking that there was no chance of being double charged and the rude woman spoke to me like I was a piece of crap. We then opted for the hotel car option to go the airport as it was freezing and $50 that was very specifically advised that this included tax, tip and toll sounded like a good deal and that we could pay credit card no problem. We got in the car and the driver advised that we would need to pay an additional $5 for cc payment, after some arguing he agreed that it was ok but he wanted my card to phone it through to his boss, I said I will pay when we are at the airport, this made the driver extremely angry and kept demanding my card. We asked numerous times to be let out of the car and he refused. It took me to get my phone out and start dialling the police for him to turn around and drop us back at the hotel. I really cannot stress enough to stay away from the hotel! Except for Carlos and Pablo the concierge this hotel has no redeeming features and should be avoided!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Please allow me to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. We value each of our guests and it’s never pleasant to be informed that a guest had a negative experience. Your experience is not that standard we hold at our hotel. I would like to follow up on your concerns with our management team and ensure they are addressed. Please contact me at erodriguez-febles@paramount-nyc.com with the full name on your reservation, the dates of your stay and your TripAdvisor comment attached. I look forward to hearing from your and further investigating your concerns.

Best Regards,
Emily

Been to Paramount Hotel Times Square New York? Share your experiences!