“Ignore the bad reviews” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Paramount Hotel Times Square New York

You added Paramount Hotel Times Square New York to your Saves list
Paramount Hotel Times Square New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   235 W 46th Street, Between Broadway & 8th Avenue, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #331 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Ignore the bad reviews”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

People complaining about not having enough room in the rooms? well who even goes to NYC to stay in the rooms right? we used our room as a stop off point to leave our shopping bags and carry on shopping! haha.. this hotel is lovely!!! the staff are so helpful and kind, and we made friends with one of the staff who we still regularly keep in touch with now. It is a stylish hotel, with a lovely bagel and coffee shop over the road which sold delicious pastries. It is literally a stone throw away from Times Square, as soon as you step out of the doors you where greeted by the huge MAC store which is in the middle of Times Square. Perfect hotel, cannot comment on the food as we never ate in the hotel as we where surrounded by beautiful resteraunts. Comfy beds, always had a good nights sleep, would 100% return to this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Gary T, Guest Relations Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Thank you for your 5 Star review! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay, our team, our bar and of course our location. We are glad you are now a loyal PARAMOUNT guest.

I hope to meet you in person on your next visit.

Oscar Vela
Guest Experience Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Cheshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

All fur coat and..........

I normally do a review as soon as I can after my return but this time I have left it because I want to calm down

Given the categories on Trip advisor the overall star rating will not be bad but like many others commenting on this hotel – the star rating lies

The hotel is a perfect location for Broadway and being within a few steps of Times Square a great central tourist location. Also, the same distance to Hell’s Kitchen restaurant row.

On arrival it looked great - a welcoming, discreetly lit foyer/lounge

But the standard double our travel agent had booked was minute and the wardrobe would not take my suit on a standard hanger without the bottom of the jacket crumpling up (photo available). We were there for 4 nights and out for dinner on one so my wife had a long dress - not even a hook behind a door to compensate for lack of wardrobe height. To add to the problems we could not see where we could store our (empty) 2 (small) suitcases except in the area to the side of the bed – but we do like not to have to climb over cases when we get out of bed

Solution - an extra $40 per night for a king size bed with the room to go with it The wardrobe had a small section with length for my suite and my wife’s dress - no more - we had to “eject” the provided bathrobe (which disappeared after our first night!?!?!) But when we rejected our first room and asked for this type of wardrobe the desk had a problem finding this - apparently this type of wardrobe is rare. Having said that the guy on the desk was helpful – if off hand.

Now I have gone on at length about this but it is symptomatic of a very smart, stylish hotel which falls apart if you dig. Most power points in our room (and there were plenty) were loose to the wall, at one power point the wallpaper was not properly stuck down The bathroom was minuscule (usable area 3’x4’ and as a fellow guest opined – with a basin better suited to a prison cell) and the speed of drainage from the basin and bath was abysmal The toilet pan was cracked and the plumbing not fitted flush to the wall - a hygiene issue. Also you needed to be a contortionist as the loo roll was situated at your back

Other issues on our room - no coffee making facilities, cracked toilet bowl, leaking tap, signs of ceiling leaks – badly patched, radiator (soon to be aircon?) in the window frame not finished – proud screws; rough edges; not sealed to wall/window frame – photos if requested

This lack of finish was ironic given we had one bad night when they were installing a canopy on the front of the hotel – overnight, with no warning and we were on the front. When I complained to the manager standing around on the pavement – early morning, having a cigarette (I am with him in spirit!) – he did not apologized but offered a free breakfast and then said – “isn’t it beautiful though” (actually – no - ‘cause it was not finished)

The rooms are, though, beautiful - just totally impractical for more than one or two nights. To quote my wife “the place was designed by a trendy child with no experience of hotel living”

Also - take a torch - you will need it to find your floor number in the discreetly lit (i.e. dark) lifts. Alternatively spend a few minutes in the foyer to adjust your eyes to the dark

Now I must say I respect the hotel management in that all Trip Advisor post are responded to but please do not give me the platitudes. Instead put some of your staff in the public areas – particularly the lifts (and if possible non-American accented staff) and listen to the comments – we are not alone

We are also not alone in recognizing that staff that are off-hand and appear not to care. When the concierge asked if we had enjoyed our stay and we answered “no” she seemed more hurt than inclined to investigate. I don’t, like others, think the staff are rude – they are, though, off hand and do not seem to care

Would I recommend the Paramount - strangely yes but for 1 or 2 nights if visiting Broadway/Times Square. But, in truth it is really an upmarket back-packers hotel

And finally my bête noire – why do we have to pay for in room internet access and then per device – for the home of technology this is appalling and a lesson could be learnt from Europe

Room Tip: Upgrade from a standard
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with our hotel so comprehensively. Your comments are extremely helpful, especially the feedback with regards of the overall aesthetic of the hotel. We do have different room types that we can show to accommodate for guests that need more rooms.

I would like to offer you a complementary upgrade on your next stay with us at the Paramount, all you have to do is e-mail me and I will have everything set-up for you once you make your reservation. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience.

Oscar Vela
ovela@paramount-nyc.com
Guest Experience Manager
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

This was my first visit to NYC and the location of this hotel is great if you want to be near Times Square (it's just 1/2 block away). Many major attractions are within walking distance and the rooms I was in (three during my stay) are a decent size.

The staff was accommodating on check in. I arrived early and they offered to hold my bags in a secure area. They said they'd text/call me when my room was ready (they didn't, as a couple of other guests mentioned in other reviews). Generally, the staff was pleasant and helpful.

There were a few issues during my stay. My visit was toward the end of June and it was hot. A/C worked the first night. On day two I went out for a day of site seeing and left the a/c on at 70. I expected the room to be cool when I got back after a long, hot day of site seeing. When I got back the room was hot and the a/c wasn't working, it was blowing hot air.

Maintenance came up to take a look, fiddled around for a couple of minutes and said that he felt cool air coming out. Wishful thinking. Unfortunately, there was no cool air and there wasn't a way to fix it quickly.

There was only one other room available in the hotel (an accessible room with working a/c) so I moved into it. There was a big wet spot (more than 12") on the carpet right in front of the bathroom (hopefully, from carpet cleaning - I didn't ask) and there was no way to get into the bathroom without stepping on it. I tried to keep socks/slippers on but it was difficult right after showering or when dressing (gross).

Day three I changed rooms again. I was upgraded to a King room which was quite large and very nice. After that I didn't move again.

In my experience the three rooms I was in all had noisy environmental units so I assume that's the norm for this hotel. I never ate there but food at the little french cafe look nice.

They spray the lobby with some kind of musky sweet scent which I didn't like at all, I found it almost offensive. Every time I entered the hotel I'd take a breath and then hold it until I was on the elevator.

About the elevators, another hotel guest and I had a good laugh one day in the in one of them because she had to bend all the way down and put her face very close to the buttons in order to identify the correct button for her floor. It wasn't her, it was the lighting (or lack of). Yes, dark can be 'cool' but when you can't even see the elevator buttons it's not cool, it's laughable!

I think I saw a manager acting as security inside just past the entrance but only on one night, otherwise, it appeared to be easy to just walk in.

I might stay here again if I got a good deal since the property is a good, solid 3. But for my next visit I'll probably try a different area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Gary T, General Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Thank you for your review of Paramount Hotel Time Square. On behalf of the Paramount Hotel Time Square team we would like to sincerely apologize for all the inconveniences you faced while you stayed with us. I did inform all of our Department Heads and they were very disappointed as well. Thank you for submitting your feedback on TripAdvisor, as this is the only way we may improve our services in these areas. It is never our intention to disappoint our guest, and we sincerely regret that we have so thoroughly disappointed you.

Next time you come to NYC please give us another chance to gain your confidence with us and give you the red carpet treatment.

Windhoek
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Booked and paid for Broadway Classic was put into Broadway Petite, You even have to go outside the room to change your mind, so small was the room. Definitly not what you see is what you get. Be careful when you put your toiletries on the shelf above the toilet, definitely not practical. Bathroom very small and the cleaning staff did not do a good job. Tv was not working properly, reported it 3 times. Even though the staff opted to move us to a Broadway classic after the second day, I feel they should have compromised from the beginning. Even though we were refunded 100 dollars for the tv I feel that the whole experience was a bad one. The air conditioner makes such a noise at night that you barely have a good nights rest. The only nice thing about this hotel is that it is in Town Square, but I have stayed in Town Square twice before at other hotels and was highly disappointed in this hotel. However I would like to say that the concierce department was very helpful and they deserve some credit. Unfortunately Paramount will never see me again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. Please allow me to sincerely apologize if you did not enjoy your stay. Guest comfort is a key concern of ours, and to hear that you did not receive quick and immediate attention is troubling to hear. Please be assured that we will discuss your concern with our staff so that issues such as these do not occur again. I do thank you for your feedback.It was a great pleasure welcoming you here and we look forward to your next visit and give us a chance to gain your confidence in us again!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here in feb, towards the end of the refurb of the reception of the hotel. We were initially disappointed that they had changed it because the pics of the old one had been one of the reasons we'd booked but the unveiling of this proved to be amazing. Our room was small but I'm guessing that would be the case in any centrally located NYC hotel. It was clean and had all the essentials. Bathroom was ok.
The bar/resteraunt was stylish and the bar man was entertaining. My airline tickets were lost and the concierge was amazing in helping me get my flight details. I loved how the hall ways had been purposefully decorated to be a little seedy, it felt like I was appearing in a film noir everytime I walked through them.
If I'd have known time square was as busy I wouldn't have booked a hotel so near but the hotel was amazing. If they had one in greenwhich village I'd book there for next time. Also 'The Cribs' were staying at the same time. Pretty cool.
Can't fault the hotel only the location

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you for your 5 Star review of our hotel! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay, our team, and of course our location.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

When I first walked in at the hotel, I was excited to see that it was a quite modern hotel. The room was very small but with lots of characteristics. We went out to explore the city and upon on our return to room we had a terrible surprise. We left the ac on at 70 but the machine was showing that it was 80 degrees. After trying to make it cooler we realized that it would only work for 5 minutes and it would shut off automatically. We then spoke to the night manager, who I believe his name was Peter, and he was not at all apologetic. He told us they were sold out and there was nothing he could do but to give a $100.00 credit. He had to sleep in this room, which it was the worst night of my life because it was so hot that day. The next morning, during our check out, he came to realized that other guests had the same problem. So it's safe to say that the ac in this hotel only works at the lobby, which is quite comfortable, but not in any of the rooms. After this horrible experience, I will never stay at this hotel again, despite the good location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

College Park, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I suppose if I was willing to pay more I would have gotten better maid service. This was the least expensive room we could find in/close to Times Square. The location is perfect. The room (King Deluxe) was very small (as we expected), but I am glad I didn't choose anything smaller. Room enough to walk around the bed and to the bathroom. One chair, which is all there is room for. Tiny night stand tables and one side table made out of Lucite. See picture. Small closet that held two people's clothes for a weekend (a week's worth of clothes would not have fit in it). Bed was comfy. I had no other expectations for the room size, I am just describing it for others. 3rd floor view of a part of the hotel that had pipes and perhaps an air conditioning box of sorts. Not a problem, since we really only slept there. No real space to dine-in.
A FEW PROBLEMS - the main lobby (although beautiful) was dark, the elevator lobby was dark, as were the elevators. Everyone on the elevators had to bend over and squint to see the floor numbers in order to press the buttons inside the elevators. Lighting in the bathroom was poor. Not at all good for putting on makeup before a show - quite dim. I moved an end table to put a drink on and the floor was filthy - like no one had vacuumed for at least two months - pretty filthy. Our used glasses were not removed or replaced with clean glasses the next day. Fire alarm went off at 8:30 Saturday morning. I heard it, but it was quite faint - and no blinking lights went off in our room. my teenager did not hear it, I had to wake him. Fortunately, it was a false alarm.
THINGS I REALLY LIKED: We were able to check in early. They will keep your bags after check-out ($2/bag) until midnight so that you don't have to rush to get out of the city. My son really liked the workout room and the cozy, beautiful, modern lobby where you can get free WIFI. Nice staff at the front desks and at the front door - very helpful and pleasant.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
On behalf of the Paramount Hotel Time Square team we would like to sincerely apologize for all the inconveniences you faced while you stayed with us. Thank you for submitting your feedback on TripAdvisor, as this is the only way we may improve our services in these areas. It is never our intention to disappoint our guest, and we sincerely regret that we have so thoroughly disappointed you in some aspects of your stay.

Thank you for the positive review on what you did like and found our team of staff, as many travelers have, helpful and friendly. I've shared your comments with them and do look forward to welcome you back to our hotel when you travel to this area again and let us regain your confidence in us.

Gary Tucker

Been to Paramount Hotel Times Square New York? Share your experiences!