“Not a good experience” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Paramount Hotel Times Square New York

You added Paramount Hotel Times Square New York to your Saves list
Paramount Hotel Times Square New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   235 W 46th Street, Between Broadway & 8th Avenue, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #331 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Windhoek
“Not a good experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Booked and paid for Broadway Classic was put into Broadway Petite, You even have to go outside the room to change your mind, so small was the room. Definitly not what you see is what you get. Be careful when you put your toiletries on the shelf above the toilet, definitely not practical. Bathroom very small and the cleaning staff did not do a good job. Tv was not working properly, reported it 3 times. Even though the staff opted to move us to a Broadway classic after the second day, I feel they should have compromised from the beginning. Even though we were refunded 100 dollars for the tv I feel that the whole experience was a bad one. The air conditioner makes such a noise at night that you barely have a good nights rest. The only nice thing about this hotel is that it is in Town Square, but I have stayed in Town Square twice before at other hotels and was highly disappointed in this hotel. However I would like to say that the concierce department was very helpful and they deserve some credit. Unfortunately Paramount will never see me again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Gary T, General Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. Please allow me to sincerely apologize if you did not enjoy your stay. Guest comfort is a key concern of ours, and to hear that you did not receive quick and immediate attention is troubling to hear. Please be assured that we will discuss your concern with our staff so that issues such as these do not occur again. I do thank you for your feedback.It was a great pleasure welcoming you here and we look forward to your next visit and give us a chance to gain your confidence in us again!

Gary Tucker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here in feb, towards the end of the refurb of the reception of the hotel. We were initially disappointed that they had changed it because the pics of the old one had been one of the reasons we'd booked but the unveiling of this proved to be amazing. Our room was small but I'm guessing that would be the case in any centrally located NYC hotel. It was clean and had all the essentials. Bathroom was ok.
The bar/resteraunt was stylish and the bar man was entertaining. My airline tickets were lost and the concierge was amazing in helping me get my flight details. I loved how the hall ways had been purposefully decorated to be a little seedy, it felt like I was appearing in a film noir everytime I walked through them.
If I'd have known time square was as busy I wouldn't have booked a hotel so near but the hotel was amazing. If they had one in greenwhich village I'd book there for next time. Also 'The Cribs' were staying at the same time. Pretty cool.
Can't fault the hotel only the location

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you for your 5 Star review of our hotel! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay, our team, and of course our location.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

When I first walked in at the hotel, I was excited to see that it was a quite modern hotel. The room was very small but with lots of characteristics. We went out to explore the city and upon on our return to room we had a terrible surprise. We left the ac on at 70 but the machine was showing that it was 80 degrees. After trying to make it cooler we realized that it would only work for 5 minutes and it would shut off automatically. We then spoke to the night manager, who I believe his name was Peter, and he was not at all apologetic. He told us they were sold out and there was nothing he could do but to give a $100.00 credit. He had to sleep in this room, which it was the worst night of my life because it was so hot that day. The next morning, during our check out, he came to realized that other guests had the same problem. So it's safe to say that the ac in this hotel only works at the lobby, which is quite comfortable, but not in any of the rooms. After this horrible experience, I will never stay at this hotel again, despite the good location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
On behalf of the Paramount Hotel Time Square team we would like to sincerely apologize for all the inconveniences you faced while you stayed with us. I did inform all of our Department Heads and they were very disappointed as well. Thank you for submitting your feedback on TripAdvisor, as this is the only way we may improve our services in these areas. It is never our intention to disappoint our guest, and we sincerely regret that we have so thoroughly disappointed you.

College Park, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I suppose if I was willing to pay more I would have gotten better maid service. This was the least expensive room we could find in/close to Times Square. The location is perfect. The room (King Deluxe) was very small (as we expected), but I am glad I didn't choose anything smaller. Room enough to walk around the bed and to the bathroom. One chair, which is all there is room for. Tiny night stand tables and one side table made out of Lucite. See picture. Small closet that held two people's clothes for a weekend (a week's worth of clothes would not have fit in it). Bed was comfy. I had no other expectations for the room size, I am just describing it for others. 3rd floor view of a part of the hotel that had pipes and perhaps an air conditioning box of sorts. Not a problem, since we really only slept there. No real space to dine-in.
A FEW PROBLEMS - the main lobby (although beautiful) was dark, the elevator lobby was dark, as were the elevators. Everyone on the elevators had to bend over and squint to see the floor numbers in order to press the buttons inside the elevators. Lighting in the bathroom was poor. Not at all good for putting on makeup before a show - quite dim. I moved an end table to put a drink on and the floor was filthy - like no one had vacuumed for at least two months - pretty filthy. Our used glasses were not removed or replaced with clean glasses the next day. Fire alarm went off at 8:30 Saturday morning. I heard it, but it was quite faint - and no blinking lights went off in our room. my teenager did not hear it, I had to wake him. Fortunately, it was a false alarm.
THINGS I REALLY LIKED: We were able to check in early. They will keep your bags after check-out ($2/bag) until midnight so that you don't have to rush to get out of the city. My son really liked the workout room and the cozy, beautiful, modern lobby where you can get free WIFI. Nice staff at the front desks and at the front door - very helpful and pleasant.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
On behalf of the Paramount Hotel Time Square team we would like to sincerely apologize for all the inconveniences you faced while you stayed with us. Thank you for submitting your feedback on TripAdvisor, as this is the only way we may improve our services in these areas. It is never our intention to disappoint our guest, and we sincerely regret that we have so thoroughly disappointed you in some aspects of your stay.

Thank you for the positive review on what you did like and found our team of staff, as many travelers have, helpful and friendly. I've shared your comments with them and do look forward to welcome you back to our hotel when you travel to this area again and let us regain your confidence in us.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

stayed here for 4 nights end of August. Location is great, walk 3 mins out the hotel, you're in Times Square (bang in the middle). Price was good, for New York you can get the same hotel but not in the location, so this was ideal.

You are a good 5, maybe slightly more, minutes walk from 42nd street Subway station, but close by to Times Sq, Rockefellar centre isn't far, Broadway on your doorstep, Central Park just 12 blocks or so up (or subway if you require/prefer from 42nd streetr - albeit you;d have to walk 4 blocks or so the other direction to Central P first so perhaps not the best plan!).

All in all this hotel was great for the money, location great, hotel nice, the lobby is always busy, they have free wifi in there, which is great, so loads of people on laptops, ipads, iphones or just hanging out. Nice reception area, recently done up (we were told by reception) lighting little low but ok - although the lifts close to reception are very dark, needs a light putting in really.

On arrival we had booked a king bed (for price) but asked for a room with two singles/two doubles - which they sorted no problems and at no cost. Rooms weren't that quiet, fair bit of noise - but mostly from taxi drivers beeping constantly and (heavy duty) works going on in NYC - I have only stayed at a quieter hotel on the west side before, so can't really comment, but I suspect you will get this wherever you stay if you stay central. It wasn't terrible, we were 11th floor, and it wasnt all night or anything, but be warned you can hear it if/when the taxi drivers start with their beeping!

Our room was nice, but basic. I guess in a major city like NYC, you're paying 1) for the privelege of being in a major city and 2) for a great location. The room was clean, cleaned every day, bed made, bathroom was I would say very small but had sink, mirror, toilet and shower albeit in a smallish space - we're young so whilst you'd always like a big space, no problems for us. Beds were two small ish singles (but as above, we got two singles we wanted instead of our king we had booked, so not complaining), but room pretty much had two beds, a tele, and a safe. Not sure what else you'd want, but on arrival you will certainly think "basic". However, that doesn't mean bad or unclean or old rooms. In room wifi was available, at a cost, btu we didnt bother. If you want to just check the occasional email, facebook or look at maps/places to go - suggest you make use of the lobby wifi and don't pay!

Overall, recommend this hotel. Family stayed in another hotel nearby, for similar price, and wished theyd booked ours. Wasnt as good (and that was a well known brand hotel). Central location, good price, for the money book it!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your 5 Star review of our hotel! We are thrilled that your enjoyed your stay, our team, and of course our location. We are glad you are now a loyal Paramount guest.

Regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is clean, conveniently located and the service was great. People who are complaining about room size need to consider other travel destinations besides NYC and be willing to double their lodging budget. Was our room big? No.. But with all of NYC at your doorstep, who needs a big room? And for the price we paid, it was an excellent value!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Paramount Hotel. We are delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that your experience is always a positive one! We hope to see you for many years to come.

Best Regards,

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Having arrived at the hotel around 10pm on a cold February night we were informed that there were no more double rooms. We were duly offered a single room (literally a box, let alone a room) for the night with the promise of a room change the following day. The following day reception informed us that we had to check out of our room and WAIT for another room to become available in 2hrs time. It was probably 3hrs before we were allocated a queen size room - which was spacious, nicely decorated although the heating only intermittently worked and only at the lowest tolerable temperature. Bar the initial hiccups it was still a pleasurable stay at a comfortable and sleekly decorated hotel, would definitely recommend if you're able to book in on time.

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Paramount Hotel. Thank you for submitting your feedback on TripAdvisor, as this is the only way we may improve our services in these areas. It is never our intention to disappoint our guest.

Best Regards,

Gary Tucker

Been to Paramount Hotel Times Square New York? Share your experiences!