“No Hot Water! (and they are used to it!!)” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Paramount Hotel Times Square New York

You added Paramount Hotel Times Square New York to your Saves list
Paramount Hotel Times Square New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   235 W 46th Street, Between Broadway & 8th Avenue, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #331 of 457 Hotels in New York City
boston, ma.
“No Hot Water! (and they are used to it!!)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I have always wanted to stay at the Paramount and finally did with my teenage son. The lobby is very cool, as it was recently renovated. The staff are super nice and accomodationg. We got an upgrade from Jessie at the front desk.
The room was tiny but clean and the BR was very cool, european like.
The problem was the next morning. The shower and sink only had COLD WATER!!!!
When I called the front desk I was told that with all of the showers taken it happens and to let the water run for 15 minutes and it should warm up. Isn't that a waste of our precious water? Well we did and the tub wasn't draining properly and the water never warmed up!!!!!
My son took a cold shower standing in cold water and I couldn't think about doing it.
I told the front desk and he said he couldn't give me any credit on my room (which I paid $300/night) as I bokked through Hotels.com and it was prepaid. Since breakfast was over, he couldn't give me a voucher.. So that was it!
Stay at the hotel, but never be guaranteed on a hot shower!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Don F, General Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you kindly for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so sorry to hear about your issue with the hot water not being available at the time of your stay. Our Engineering Team did have to do emergency repairs on water lines last week, and this may have unfortunately impacted your room. I am deeply regretful if this disturbed you, and I do promise you that this is not the norm. We would love to host you back for another stay to offer you a more positive experience.

Don Fraser

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Braila, Romania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Hotel reception very nice and welcome, personnel friendly but the rooms very small comparing with pictures, very noisy from the street due to ancient windows type.
In each modern hotel windows are sealing regardless of outside activities. Another minus is for A/C which is not working properly even after been checked by hotel staff.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you kindly for taking the time to review our hotel. While I am happy you enjoyed your time with us, I do apologize for the issues with the noise and malfunctioning heating unit. I will make sure our Director of Engineering follows up with his staff to make sure these issues do not occur again. I thank you for your feedback!

Norfolk, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Gorgeous. Modern. Clean. Semi-Affordable. Attached to Dean & DeLuca (Major plus and DE-LISH homemade lemonade), upgraded my friend's room to an amazing penthouse upstairs. Holds your luggage for free if you can't check in early and want to tour the city. Bathrooms are tiny, but hey, it's NYC after all!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of the Paramount Hotel, I am so happy to see that you and your friend enjoyed your stay with us. Come back anytime, we're always happy to host you while you're in New York!

Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Stayed here over Thanksgiving week for a few nights and going into it, I knew the rooms were going to be small but dang, I measured from the side of the bed and the AC unit and there was less then two feet of space to move through. Luckily there was a closet to put our bags in unlike some other hotels I've stayed at with small rooms like the paramount.

My first of two issues with this place is the main lobby is a cluster. I don't know if it was because it was Thanksgiving week or if it's usually like that but it appears there was no room for people checking their bags at the front desk as they were always piled in the main lobby and made it look run down and unorganized. Also, people are always gathering there so trying to get the front desk was a pain since the bags were taking up a lot of the room in the lobby.

My second issue and the bigger one was every morning when we woke up, we had pieces of paint from the ceiling falling on us. I didn't notice the ceiling until after the first night but after looking at it closely, the paint on the whole ceiling was cracking and peeling off and every day we were finding pieces on the bed, floor and bathroom. Just from that happening and the front desk saying there were no rooms to move us to and didn't feel like it was an issue, I will no longer be staying here. I completely understand if the hotel was sold out, but most places I've stayed at that if something is wrong and they can't move me or fix the issue, they comp a free breakfast or discount the room some... Well that wasn't happening here since they knew I had no other place to really go since it was a pre-paid room.

I usually have better options when I travel to NYC 4-5 times a year for work but for personal travel, this is on my "do not book" list.

Room Tip: Make sure you check your room and see if the paint is peeling off.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. Please allow me to sincerely apologize for the issue with the paint chips in the room provided to you during your stay. Guest comfort is a key concern of ours, and to hear that you did not receive quick and immediate attention is troubling to hear. Please be assured that we will discuss your concern with our staff so that issues such as these do not occur again. I do thank you for your feedback.It was a great pleasure welcoming you here and we hope you will join us again for a more positive experience.

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I had wonderful experience at this very cozy boutique hotel. I love the new renovated lobby. When I checked in, Ryan and Cathy gave me a warm welcome. The whole check in process was very quick and smooth. My request had been taken good care. I was so happy to choose Paramount and I will definitely come back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you kindly for your review of the Paramount Hotel. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that Ryan and Cathy delivered the friendly and outstanding service that the Paramount Hotel is known for. I will share your comment with them, so that they are aware of your kind compliments. We look forward to hosting you again soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

An excellent option. Near everything, just a few steps from Times Square, the heart of NY. The room I was in was great, REALLY clean. In fact it was literally cleaned every day, mainly the bathroom. The towels were clean and soft, too. The breakfast was delicious, with many options,even to those who are not used to a traditional American breakfast. The waiters were attentive and smiling.
But the manager for customer care, Ryan, was like the perfect host. He was always there asking if everyhing was ok, very attentive and polite. Almost all the staff was impressive, but he deserves congratulations. Really friendly andhard-working.
So, Paramount is really an amazibg place to be in NY.

• Stayed January 2013
Don F, General Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you kindly for your review of the Paramount Hotel, and please accept my thanks for your excellent comments regarding our staff, especially towards Ryan. I will most assuredly share your compliment with them, and we look forward to hosting you again soon.

NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Overall I was satisfied with my stay at the Paramount. If you want to be near Times Sq., you can't beat this location. Very close to the heart of Times Sq. but on a side street so not as noisy or busy as the hotels facing Broadway. The rooms are very small, and since this is my first time staying in a hotel in NYC (I'm from NYC and was using the hotel while family stayed at my apartment) I was not prepared for exactly how small a standard room in this city is.

Although small, the room was clean, upgraded and had everything you would expect. The free wireless was a bonus. Also, there is a new gym on the 2nd floor that was quite nice and also always empty. Staff was pleasant. I also appreciated that there was always a doorman at the front entrance to keep non-guests from loitering in the lobby.

To be completely honest, if I were a tourist I probably wouldn't opt to stay in Times Sq (Union Sq. would probably be at the top of my list for convenient, less crowded home bases for tourists). But if someone was looking for a hotel in this neighborhood, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Paramount. Good for everyone - couples, solo, families, friends, business.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review of the Paramount Hotel. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, and look forward to hosting you again soon.

Don Fraser

Been to Paramount Hotel Times Square New York? Share your experiences!