“Perfect location” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Melbourne, Australia
“Perfect location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

This was our second stay at the novotel and we'll be back again . Both the quiet room ,huge bathroom and king bed were generous by NY standards though in need of some minor repairs. Staff welcoming,.location perfect .rooftop bar a definite plus on summer nights ..

Room Tip: Bed head required minor repair as did washing line in bathroom . Not enough lighting in bathroom and...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Novotel Hotels

MarcSternagel, General Manager at Novotel New York Times Square, responded to this review, September 3, 2014
I am so glad we could provide you with a nice stay in the heart of New York during your time with us. We hope to see you on a return visit to NYC.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ellesmere Port, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

We visited the Novotel for the first time 18th August 2014 for a week. I traveled with my husband and 11 year old daughter. It took me ages to choose a hotel when booking our holiday as there are so many to choose from, but I am so glad I picked this one. The hotel is in a perfect location for visiting all of the sights in New York. Quick to check in and out. $80 per night or $250 per week security deposit required on a credit card. Easy walking distance to Central Park, Times Square, Empire State Building etc. Fantastic view of Times Square from the lovely outside terrace, it was lovely sitting there relaxing with a cocktail. The rooms are large for New York with a powerful double shower in the bathroom. Large wall mounted tv, free in room safe and fridge. Decor looked new. We had a lovely view over the Hudson River. Breakfast was a little pricey at $24.99 per person, but one child eats free with each adult. Good choice of food, buffet style. There is a little shop with refreshments and gifts and the game area in the bar is really good. Laptops also available there. The online check in from the hotel for our return flight was really convenient. Free wifi in the lobby/bar area, or $40 per week for in your room. All of the staff are really friendly and helpful. The hotel is very clean, nice comfy beds too. Blackout curtains and really quiet in the rooms despite being so close to Times Square. If I ever go back to New York this is the hotel I will be booking, I would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Choose a high room for a great view of Times Square, the Hudson river or Broadway.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
MarcSternagel, General Manager at Novotel New York Times Square, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Wow, thank you for your five-star review! I am very glad that you and your family found our hotel to be the complete package! Your recommendation means so much to us.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

Went to New York for my birthday and after having to wait over an hour at the airport for my taxi to the hotel it was a pleasant surprise to find the hotel looked just like the pictures online.

Unfortunately the food in the restaurant lacked imagination everything was burgers and as i'm not a burger fan I could not eat anything, despite starving..However, once the waiter realised it was my birthday and saw how tired I was from the flight he arrived at my table with the largest slice of cheescake which is my favourite with a candle on top and i soon forgot that I was hungry!
The foyer had moody lighting but was very stylish, lots of easy chairs and access to the latest Apple IT equipment,the largest screens i've ever seen .The terrace which wrapped itself around the upper part of the hotel looking towards Time Sqaure was fabulous especially at night where you could sit and have a drink.. My room was great however it did not have a particularly good view so I asked to be upgraded and i got a room with a view to die for. You could see Times Square and at night it was magical with all the lights from the square,better than any photos.
Everyone from the reception staff to the door men were friendly,accommodating and had extensive knowledge of the area. The Novotel is in a great location especially for sight seeing and is surrounded by many restaurants.

Room Tip: Very good hotel and location ask for a room with aTimes Square view
Green Features: Unfortunately whilst staying there I was not aware of their enviromental practices however i think its great and more hotels should follow suit
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
First of all, it means a lot to me that you would choose to stay at our establishment for your birthday! Thank you very much. I am glad our staff could help you celebrate and provide you with excellent service for this occasion. I hope you will choose to stay with us again.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

I stayed here with my family for 5 nights. There were four of us travelling so we booked a twin room.

The room had great views of Times Square. It had 2 queen size beds which means there was less space in the room. This is to be expected, but there was very little space in the room compared to other hotels we have stayed at with the same size beds.

The room was OK, but average to basic. Little closet space, no tea or coffee making facilities and a small bathroom. It was clean but not wonderfully clean. It was also expensive and considering the size of the room it was very expensive.

The hotel itself was OK. The entrance to the hotel is located on the ground floor on W 52nd St. Access to the very dark lobby is via an elevator to the 3rd floor. The staff at check-in were not particularly friendly or helpful. The booking was made under my wife's name and they would not allow me to add my Le CLub membership to the booking or change the name of the booking (even though we were there together). This means I don't get any reward points for this expensive stay.

We had to pay for wifi, which is not great as most places provide free wifi. Wifi should've also been included but the staff were unable to help us when we queried this.

Breakfast is expensive and slow. It is much cheaper and quicker to head out of the hotel to one of the many places located around the hotel.

The bar is nice but feels understaffed at busy times.

The concierge was not particularly helpful. The service was slow and he was unable to find us anything we could not find ourselves and at a lower price. We ended up booking out own theatre tickets for Friday night ourselves at a cheaper price. When we left the hotel we had seen a sign giving a fixed price ($135) for a SUV to Newark Airport. We paid $100 from Newark to the hotel but asked the concierge if he could arrange a car. He made one call and told us none were available and we should've booked in advance. I used my Uber app and got a luxury SUV in 4mins and a price of $75.

It's a great location, but the hotel is average. Anyone can come into the hotel to use the bar and perhaps this is what you should do. Book one of the many hotels located close to Times Square and then come to the Novotel for a rink before heading to the theatre of for a meal.

Room Tip: The view is no better on the higher floors and the slow lifts can mean it can take a while to get to...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your honest, elaborate review. While it’s nice to hear that you found aspects of our establishment like our bar and central location to your liking, it is disheartening to hear that we did not exceed your expectations. I will review your feedback with our team and we will see just how we can improve and leave our guests ‘wowed!’
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

I chose this hotel on location and our room had a nice view of Times Square which we liked but for the price I would have stayed somewhere else.

The hotel is very modern with a trendy bar and dining are, the kids especially liked to the free Xbox's and Mac's in the open planned area and it meant that my husband and I could have a drink in the bar in the evening whilst they were entertained. The bar and restaurant staff were pleasant but seemed under staff when busy.

We had a room on the 20th floor which gave us lovely views of Time Square however the room was very small for the 4 of us and the bathroom was just awful. Not only was it small but painted dark brown which made it even worse. On the first morning my husband had a shower and mentioned that the water wasn't draining away properly, I went to have a look and on removing the plug found a cotton wool ball, hairband and about a years worth of hair and muck, disgusting!

As others have said we also found the staff on the door and front desk very unfriendly. We were going to ask the concierge to book us theatre tickets however my husband noticed him just booked through Ticketmaster, something we then just did ourselves and it meant we could choose our own seats. On the day we left I asked the concierge to arrange a car for us to the airport, we noticed the flat fee sign of $125. After various phone calls he told me nothing was available as it was a busy day suggesting I should be pre-booked. My husband uses UBER whilst in the US so we arranged a car through them instead. The driver was there in 4 mins and only charged us $75 including tip. You can leave your luggage downstairs on your finally day but be warned they charge you $1 per bag even for the kids tiny backpacks which just had there teddies in.

I didn't realise that Wifi was chargeable, free to Accor Club members which my husband is a member of however as the booking for the room was in my name they refused to add his card!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Please accept my apology for our less than stellar guest service. We always aim to provide our guests with friendly, helpful service and it is disappointing to read that our team may have dropped the ball on this occasion. I will be sharing your review with our entire team.

Been to Novotel New York Times Square? Share your experiences!