“Great location, large rooms, painfully slow elevators” 4 of 5 stars
Review of New York Marriott Marquis

Save Saved
You added New York Marriott Marquis to your Saves list
New York Marriott Marquis
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1535 Broadway, At 45th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Brkfst, Wifi, Attractions
Ranked #167 of 453 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great location, large rooms, painfully slow elevators”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

My wife and I have stayed at the New York Marriott Marquis on three separate occasions, each of our stays here have been enjoyable and well worth the price.

The location is perfect for just about any type of travel. You are in the heart of Times Square and have easy access to the subway that connects you to just about anywhere that you want to go. The rooms are larger than most in Manhattan and the rooms are typical of what we are accustomed to with Marriott. The only pain point is the speed of the elevators, as we found ourselves waiting several minutes anytime we were entering or exiting the building.

I would highly recommend this hotel for anybody coming into the city, unless you prefer to avoid the hustle & bustle of times square.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,174)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

I enjoyed seeing three plays, with Les Miserables, being an incredible experience, by just walking out the door of the hotel. The convenience for theater goers cannot be denied. There are excellent neighborhood restaurants if you walk a few blocks.

• Stayed August 2014
Richmond
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Wow! The view from my room on the 32nd floor was awesome! I almost felt like I didn't need that trip to the deck of the Empire State Building! The beds were comfy and the room (2 double beds with pull out sofa) was spacious-I didn't have to sit on only my bed. The place was packed on the weekend I stayed so I'm not sure if it's normal to wait 10 minutes for an elevator or not. Even with 14 elevators, a crowd of guests waited an exasperating amount of time every time. (reason for only 4 stars) The Starbucks addition to the Marriott chains is a bonus! Fast, friendly service in the cafe with normal to a little higher than the street price for sundries.

Room Tip: The room was quiet which is what one needs for sleeping. The rest of the hotel, lobby, restaurant, e...
Green Features: Despite hanging towels, house keeping still replaced them. So while the theory is admirable, the practice needs to be used.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

When we compare quality and price this hotel is unbalanced. High cost without anything extraordinary.
Elevators was a terrible experience. Very slow.
The restaurant was not prepared to events.
Excelente location.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Brian L, Guest Relations Manager at New York Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
We appreciate you choosing our hotel for your trip and providing feedback about your experience. I'm sorry we were not able to exceed your reservations and that you experienced a delay with our elevators. I hope you enjoyed your stay overall and that we can have the pleasure of serving you again in the future.
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

The hotel is right in the heart of the Times Square and provides easy access to many landmarks and mass transport options nearby... that is of course if you can beat the flowing masses on the Broadway...! The never ending constuction work on the Square is a real strain on the whole experience and drain on your patience. When we visited also the Marriott was cordoned off for renovation works making access difficult and dangereous and I guess also to put up yet another gigantic electronic display board on the building. Once you beat the crowds and can get into the building, the experience is actually quite pleasant with the reception up on the 8th level and rooms further above keeping the guests relatively away from the hustle and bustle of the square outside. Rooms are reasonable size and relatively comfortable but I have surely seen better and more comfortable Marriotts. Huge 24hr gym was a gem for for the fitness enthusiasts (like my wife) and options for breakfast were also plentyful and typical American sizes. But again lobby and restaurant area was usually quite crowded just like the outside due to lack of alternative dining and chill-out options at the hotel. Check-in and check-out was relatively quick and valet parking service very expensive as parking is in general in NY. Service quality and staff friendliness was a total hit and miss with some of them very pleasant and helpful while others would be much more happy if you did evaporate. Not the usually consistent and nice Marriott experience.

Room Tip: rooms start from level 8 upwards and as such mostly have good views of the Times Square but try to g...
Green Features: No idea what the environmetally friendly features are unless they are talking about the optional recycling of towels which is nowadays a standard everywhere..
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thanks so much for staying and reviewing your trip. We're happy you enjoyed your experience overall but I'm sorry the crowds and work being done interfered with your overall satisfaction. We hope you'll choose our hotel again next time you are in New York City.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

This hotel is right in the center of Times Square. My fiancé and I stayed here last night, and we stayed on the 25th floor in room 2544. Our room was moderate in size but very clean. The staff was very nice and helpful! The bar off the lobby offers great views of the Square, and I definitely recommend going there.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

I stayed here primarily because the conference I was attending was hosted here. It is a huge hotel and very impersonal. Firstly the good points. The room was big (Significantly larger than many of the alternates I looked at) and the gym facilities are excellent, albeit located on the 23rd floor with a clear view from all the surrounding floors! The lounge / bar / restaurant is located on the 8th floor and has spectacular views of Times Square. They do a competent burger and the like and the staff are friendly and efficient. The location is very convenient for many of the attractions, being right on Times Square, but this in itself was an issue as you do have to fight the crowds just to get back to your room and there was a lot of building work going on both in and around the hotel which made it very noisy and no apology was made for this nor any compensation offered. From a negative point of view there are many issues. The reception is on the eighth floor and the queues at check in were always long at all times of day and night. Reception staff were pleasant but there was no flexibility and, after a whole week staying in the hotel, spending many thousands of dollars I requested a four hour extension to check out and was told this would be $175, no negotiations possible. Not really the sort of service one should expect I feel. Although the room was large, the bathroom was a bit dingy, had mould on the wall and a permanent damp smell which was not enticing. The breakfast buffet was good (I only had the cold selection as it was one of the few opportunities to eat fruit through the day!) but very expensive, as was pretty much everything in the hotel. Even a simple coffee and pannini at the Starbucks concession in the lobby was not much cheaper than a breakfast. Don't be tempted by the a al carte breakfast. Portions are small and it is very expensive and largely inflexible. If you have read any of my other reviews you will know I have a bit of a thing about breakfast buffets, but on this occasion I have no hesitation in saying that you should have the buffet, not the menu. Overall the decor was a bit lurid (Carpets) the design of the hotel rather odd, the style somewhere between Blade Runner and Post War Soviet in its aesthetics. The lift were complex but with so many floors, once you got the hang of them they worked well but would not be great for the vertiginous. Overall it was fine for me, on my own, for a conference week but I would not choose this hotel for fun / family / holiday. You do not get anything for free, or to be honest, at a reasonable price. The wifi is quite good but outrageously expensive (>$16 per day). Sadly this is an unavoidable expense these days but I do feel that I have been absolutely fleeced as my opinion has always been that hotels like this should provide free wifi. You pay for absolutely every thing in spades, and then they add the punitive taxes on top. Then there is the tip which is calculated for you on the bill. OVerall it is a ferociously expensive hotel. It may not seem too bad initially but the extras mount up and you will end up paying twice your quoted room rate if you use the facilities.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your feedback about our hotel. We certainly appreciate you staying with us and I'm glad you enjoyed the large size of your room, gym facilities and restaurants. Please accept my apologies though for the condition of your bathroom. Your comments will be forwarded to our Engineering team to be fixed immediately. We would love to have you back in the near future.

Been to New York Marriott Marquis? Share your experiences!