“Perfect place to enjoy Times Square from” 5 of 5 stars
Review of New York Marriott Marquis

Save Saved
You added New York Marriott Marquis to your Saves list
New York Marriott Marquis
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1535 Broadway, At 45th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Brkfst, Wifi, Attractions
Ranked #167 of 453 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Perfect place to enjoy Times Square from”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

Great location, had a conference in NY and this was the conference hotel and it meet all of the conference needs and mine. Central location in Times Square, you can get to all on and off Broadway theaters by walking. Great conference rooms and super helpful staff. Fast, efficient elevators. Very clean and spacious rooms. You must check out the 9th floor observation area over Time Square and the roof top resturant, what views. Great places to eat also only steps away. Would come back.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing Times Square are quieter and don't have neon lights shining in
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,191)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Jose, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel twice for pleasure and greatly enjoyed both times. The location is wonderful, right on Time Square in the middle of the theatre district. It's so easy and close to walk to a theatre performance or a movie. The area is extremely clean and safe. I constantly saw policemen patrolling the area or just hanging around to make sure everything stays safe, and they are happy to answer any questions you have. All of the employees at the hotel were very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: It's worth it to spend the extra money and get a room with a view of Time Square. The rooms are...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Newcastle Staffs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

A memorable visit to a great City was enhanced by our stay in The Marquis. Just stroll through the 3rd floor walkway to take in a Broadway show at the Hotels own theatre. Afterwards end the evening in style with dinner and cock-tails in the revolving restaurant at the top of the Hotel. Here you can take in the 360 degree panorama of lights that is N Y's skyline. The Overnight Concierge was a mine of information, advising us where to go and what best to see. He even escorted us under an umbrella, to the end of the block.

Room Tip: Fancy opening your curtains to a fab view of Times Square? There are lots of great views, just ask!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Georgetown, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

Not been a fan of NYC before, but after a few days at this location, I can hardly wait to return. Lovely hotel, great room, fantastic view, loved going walking from here, in the middle of theatre district - what more could be asked for

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Liberty, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

We recently stayed in the Marriott Marquis Time Square in New York. It is a huge hotel and all employees we encountered were helpful. I thought check in could have had more employees working since there was a line with only about 6 people working the desk area that probably had 20 check in slots. The room was recently renovated and everything worked. We could hear the toilet above us flush and the water run down the wall. We had a partial time square view which we truly enjoyed. There was a fire in the elevator on Sunday and Monday morning about 2 am the fire alarm went off in the hotel and the fire trucks came again. We were assured there was no fire, but it was very hard to settle back down and sleep. Their elevators have the floor number entry on the outside. This was not a problem. The hotel is still under construction and will probably be a little more user friendly when all is complete. There are black out curtains and since we were on the 35th floor there was no noise problem. There are no refrigerators in the room and we did not have a soft drink machine on the floor.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with a times square view
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dresher, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

My teenaged daughter and I have been coming to NYC from Philadelphia for years. We'll stay the weekend, see a show, shop, stroll and enjoy dining experiences. I also come for business approximately once a month. I have never before stayed at the Marquis. I'd been wanting to stay away from Times Square, as we usually stay at the Doubletree Guest Suites but I felt like we'd outgrown the lure of Times Square and might enjoy elsewhere. My daughter, for her 14th birthday celebration, wanted to stay in Times Square, so I booked the Marquis.

We arrived early (10ish) and were told that the hotel was sold out - so no upgrades available. No Times Square view. Ok, no problem. I wasnt using points for this (saving those for the Marriott in St Thomas) so I figured I'd take what they gave me and hoped my Marriott loyalty would warrant a decent room. Guess not. Despite my 10 year running Marriott profile stating preference for high floors, we were given a room in the back of the 20th floor, on an interior corner such that the view was almost tunneled. When I asked about a higher floor (I want to see SOMETHING), I was told nothing was or would be available. No option to wait, which we gladly would have done and have done many times at Doubletree suites.

Our room was small. Seemd like perhaps there were stack pipes in both corners because we had these square protrusions into the room. Also, seems that we were next to a housekeeping room because we constantly heard water running and some kind of tub being emptied - not like a hotel room sink but more like a wash tub. This is the noise which woke us in the morning.

Ok, ce la vie. Of all of our great stays, this clearly wasn't going to be the one with a nice room. Move on and have a good time.

30 mins before our reservation at Tao, we went down to stand in the taxi line to taxi over. Funny thing, we saw no taxis. We, along with others, waited and waited. 10 minutes went by and not one taxi pulled into the Marquis. Nobody said anything to us or asked where we were going. We finally walked ot the street, frustratedly walked several blocks in dresses and heels, and evebtually found a taxi, arriving at Tao 15 mins late. (so it took us 45 mins to get there).

After dinner and a show, we went back to the Marquis for the desssert and cheese bar at the View. This would have been a nice experience but our waitress seemed stretched far too thinly. We were there for about 1.5 hours and only saw her twice. It was extrelemy hard to get her attention to sign off on our tab. It was expensive, yes, but that's the cost of doing business in NYC and the experience was great. I just wish the service matched the cost - or even came close. It was around 1am and we were super tired - so sitting and waiting 15 minutes to get your check after you've seen the View isn't pleasant. I also would have liked a second champagne tini but it just took too long for us to get her attention and I thought it wise to use that time to leave.

Next day, up early with the "whooosh" of the utility sink next to us. Went shopping on 5th (a birthday tradition. Oh, heck, an "every visit" tradition). Checked my iPhone around 2 to look for Amtrak trains back to Philly and realized they were all selling out. Also, my phone was on 10% battery life, Panic - back to the hotel and to the concierge. Can you help me book a train ticket? Response with a flat look "you can call them or go online". Well, duh! I know that. I don't have enough battery life to call them (now at 5%) and I can't get the online system to book via my iPhone). My iPad was in my luggage, which had been given to the bellman. I said "you can't help me book it?". Response "No, because that would mean you would need to give me your personal information". What? In all of my travels across the globe, I have never heard this from a concierge. She could have helped, even if she didnt want to take my info. Did they have a business center where I could have used a PC? I am sure they did but she didn't offer it. After giving me her reply, she moved her eyes back to her computer screen and went back to what she had been doing, as I stood right there looking at her. Wow!

I took a shot and called AMTRAK with 5% battery life and spoke as quickly as I could, getting seats on a train. Phew! Went to dinner and came back for luggage just in time the Marquis surrounded by fire engines and water pouring out if the upper floor elevator banks. It looked bad, but we were out of there - and I don't have any plans of returning. I have 13 nights booked in 4 cities in the next 3 weeks - and none of them will be Marriott properties. It just doesn't pay to be loyal.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Metropolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

This monstrous, full service atrium hotel offers rooms with Times Square views. A room on a high floor allows for viewing the constant activity below without too much noise. We took our teenager for her first trip to the city and stayed here in February. She loved the high energy location, walking to and from Broadway shows through Times Square, and hopping on the glass elevators and soaring up through the lobby. Personally, I prefer other parts of the city, and smaller more intimate properties. But, this was a good choice for us for this particular trip.

Our room was large by NYC standards for about $300 per night (Presidents weekend). But, it was not particularly clean. We found trash and lost belongings under the furniture.

The concierge desk helped us with dinner reservations twice and, despite knowing we were going with a 16 year old girl, they sent us to a campy Moulin Rouge-themed French restaurant one night where the food wasn't bad but our daughter was seated directly beneath a life-sized nude painting. I would have appreciated a little more info before being sent in that direction!

Room Tip: Times Square views are well worth the additional charge. A higher floor is quieter but not as much...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to New York Marriott Marquis? Share your experiences!