“Great value and so close to everything” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Murray Hill East Suites

You added Murray Hill East Suites to your Saves list
Murray Hill East Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   149 East 39th Street, New York City, NY 10016-0913 (Midtown)   |
Ranked #233 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Wyong, Australia
“Great value and so close to everything”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

These are older style, no frills apartments. But they are great value for money and so close to everything in NewYork. We had a one bedroom apartment which had a massive bedroom with a king size bed and heaps of storage space. The lounge room had a sofa bed, dinning space, two lounge chairs and a television. There was also a kitchenette, supplied with ample kitchenware and a bathroom. We travelled as a family of four, with two teenage daughters and the apartments was spacious enough. The teenagers shared the sofa bed. The apartments was serviced daily. There is free WiFi, but only in the lobby so if you wanted to use it you had to sit in the lobby or you can pay for it in your room. The building also has an exercise room and great laundry facilities. The apartments are in an awesome location - three easy walking blocks to Grand Central Station, a walk to Times Square, Empire State Building, Bryant Park. There are plenty of grocery stores and restaurants located in the area as well. We stayed here over Christmas 2012. The staff were friendly and efficient. These apartments are priced very well considering their location. I would stay here again next time I'm in New York.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Manchester, NH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

The hotel is clean, spacious rooms and a great value for the money. The staff was friendly, helpful and very efficient. I brought my 8-year-old granddaughter with me and we didnt feel cramped for space at all.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Sunfish Lake, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is a converted apartment building, probably dating from the '50s. Our room was clearly once a studio apartment, so it has a kitchen and is decently roomy. The TV is all digital, which is almost unique for NYC. It has internet, although I didn't use it. It also has an exercise room, which is not great, but good enough. The room was adequately lighted, including a light on the small desk. Often more upscale hotels lack adequate lighting.

As always when I stay in NYC hotels, i checked quite carefully for insects. There were none that I could spot.

There were a fair number of plugs in the main room, but all of them were used for the lights and TV. If you want to charge the batteries on your phones and IPADs, you should bring a 3 for 1 plug with you.

There are only two elevators, and one is shut for renovation, leaving only one. That one is in need of maintenance, with many floor indicator lights not functioning. It is used by the housekeeping staff, and I was expecting long wait times, although we never did have to wait too long. The halls are narrow and somewhat dingy. The lobby is plain. The staff was minimally courteous..

It used old-fashion metal keys.

It's on 39th, near 3rd, meaning a 10 minute walk to Grand Central Station.

I'd go again, if he price is right.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Webster, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I recommend the Murray Hill Suites as a clean, friendly hotel with no frills. The location is very convenient--3 blocks from Grand Central Station-walking distance to 5th Ave and 34th street shopping and the Empire State Building, with Times Square a little bit further away but walkable. The staff-the front desk-Bellmen and maids were freindly and accomodating. Our room was on the 8th floor facing the back of the building which was quite at night. Our room had a king bed, two tables with chairs-two night stands, a large dresser with a mirror, a loveseat/couch, a small kitchen and two ample sized closets. The furnature and fixures were older but maintained and our room was clean. We had a 40inch flat screen tv mounted on the wall that had good reception and plenty of cable TV channels. The shower hot water was a bit inconsistent-the water started out hot-cooled off and then got hot again-but really not a big deal. There was no micowave in our room as seen in some of the hotel pictures, but we did not need it anyways. The coffee machine worked fine. There is no pool, no business center with a computer, or no restaurant in the hotel. The elevator was slow and at times a bit of a wait. The gym was small but had enough equipment for a quick weight lifting and cadio workout. There are pubs, delis, pizza parlors, small grocery stores, Starbucks, Duncan donuts, a Dagostinos grocery store (NYC Chain) and restaurants of various types within a 2 to 3 block radius of the hotel. There is a good bagel store on Lexington around the corner from the hotel.
Personally, I don't see the need to spend a lot on an expensive NYC hotel with all the bells and whistles, if you are out most of the day seeing and doing things in the City. We were mostly in our room at night to sleep and during the day for short rest stops-so we did not need extra amenities or frills. If you are like minded, then I would highly recommend this hotel that was reasonably priced, clean and comfortable--in a good location.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the back of the hotel (40th Street) were quiet.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

As the time grew near for a business conference in NYC, I started looking into accommodations. Manhattan is expensive, regardless of where you stay.... well, not exactly. From tons and tons of research I find the Murray Hill East Suites. Two double beds, a small love seat for watching TV and (ready for this?) a kitchenette! All for the low price of $111 a night plus tax! As a disclaimer I must add... This pricing may not be typical and your results may vary. I am not an actor nor do I play one on TV. See dealer for details, this offer void where prohibited. Kayak and Orbitz had virtually the same price when searching, we booked with Orbitz. Calling the hotel directly will get you a price match from any advertised site at a worse case scenario.

...but I digress. The Murray Hill East Suites is by no means the Ritz. It is an older building with character, built back in the days when it was taboo to have a 13th floor. As a side note, there is a 14th floor and a Penthouse. It is a clean hotel, the staff is awesome with careful attention to detail and the location in Midtown was perfect for my needs. The fitness room had modern equipment and I found the area to be more than adequate. The maid did an excellent job of cleaning our room and was very friendly. The doorman always greeted you with a smile and was there to hold the door open up until at least midnight. The staff was very knowledgeable about the surrounding area and guided me to the absolute BEST clam chowder I have ever eaten within an easy 2 minute walk.

There are nicer places to stay especially if you have a larger budget that I was working with. When in NYC, how much time do you spend in your room anyway? In my 4 night stay I might have spent 2 hours in the room when not sleeping. For the price... can't be beat. Will stay there anytime I head into Midtown.

Room Tip: I was in 706, facing the street... never saw any other rooms.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

The front desk personnel were pleasant. They answered my questions nicely. There is still only one elevator but I did not find that I had to wait long. I stayed on a Tuesday night so maybe it is busier on weekends. Room was dated but very clean. It is super easy for cabs to and from laguardia plus ten minute walk max to 5th avenue, library, bryant park, and grand central. For the price I do not expect modern luxury rooms and valets and concierges. Just nice, simple, clean place to stay with pleasant service. They delivered.

• Stayed February 2013
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Location was great but during the end of our stay we had a mouse running around our room during the night and could not sleep at all. They reluctantly moved us the next morning but i got the impression they thought we were over-reacting about the incident. I'm not sure if he was the Hotel Manager or not but i did find him very un-friendly and when i checked out 2 days later he was still un-friendly. I won't recommend this Hotel and wont' be staying here again. This is my 2nd review about this Hotel so hopefully it will be submitted unlike the 1st one...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Murray Hill East Suites? Share your experiences!