“What I Wish I Knew On My First Trip to New York City” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Murray Hill East Suites to your Saves list
Prices are for rooms, adults
Murray Hill East Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   149 East 39th Street, New York City, NY 10016-0913 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #228 of 452 hotels in New York City
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“What I Wish I Knew On My First Trip to New York City”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

As the time grew near for a business conference in NYC, I started looking into accommodations. Manhattan is expensive, regardless of where you stay.... well, not exactly. From tons and tons of research I find the Murray Hill East Suites. Two double beds, a small love seat for watching TV and (ready for this?) a kitchenette! All for the low price of $111 a night plus tax! As a disclaimer I must add... This pricing may not be typical and your results may vary. I am not an actor nor do I play one on TV. See dealer for details, this offer void where prohibited. Kayak and Orbitz had virtually the same price when searching, we booked with Orbitz. Calling the hotel directly will get you a price match from any advertised site at a worse case scenario.

...but I digress. The Murray Hill East Suites is by no means the Ritz. It is an older building with character, built back in the days when it was taboo to have a 13th floor. As a side note, there is a 14th floor and a Penthouse. It is a clean hotel, the staff is awesome with careful attention to detail and the location in Midtown was perfect for my needs. The fitness room had modern equipment and I found the area to be more than adequate. The maid did an excellent job of cleaning our room and was very friendly. The doorman always greeted you with a smile and was there to hold the door open up until at least midnight. The staff was very knowledgeable about the surrounding area and guided me to the absolute BEST clam chowder I have ever eaten within an easy 2 minute walk.

There are nicer places to stay especially if you have a larger budget that I was working with. When in NYC, how much time do you spend in your room anyway? In my 4 night stay I might have spent 2 hours in the room when not sleeping. For the price... can't be beat. Will stay there anytime I head into Midtown.

Room Tip: I was in 706, facing the street... never saw any other rooms.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

573 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Greek first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

The front desk personnel were pleasant. They answered my questions nicely. There is still only one elevator but I did not find that I had to wait long. I stayed on a Tuesday night so maybe it is busier on weekends. Room was dated but very clean. It is super easy for cabs to and from laguardia plus ten minute walk max to 5th avenue, library, bryant park, and grand central. For the price I do not expect modern luxury rooms and valets and concierges. Just nice, simple, clean place to stay with pleasant service. They delivered.

• Stayed February 2013
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Location was great but during the end of our stay we had a mouse running around our room during the night and could not sleep at all. They reluctantly moved us the next morning but i got the impression they thought we were over-reacting about the incident. I'm not sure if he was the Hotel Manager or not but i did find him very un-friendly and when i checked out 2 days later he was still un-friendly. I won't recommend this Hotel and wont' be staying here again. This is my 2nd review about this Hotel so hopefully it will be submitted unlike the 1st one...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Mississauga, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

They had only 1 elevator working and the one that worked stopped on every floor no matter what floor button you pressed. The staff had friendly moments, but it seemed that you needed to speak Spanish in order to be treated the same way. We were quoted a price at the beginning of our stay by the hotel and that price changed at the time of checkout. The only reason we stayed at this hotel was for the bed set up of having 2 queen beds and a pull out bed, however I would have rather paid for an extra room at a nicer hotel than try to save.
The bathroom and kitchen only had a vent, no fan. The smell of the bathroom came into the room and was extremely unpleasant.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

These apartments are well situated, especially for anyone working at the UN (10 mins walk), but also for anyone visiting NY who likes the extra space and convenience of an apartment. I was upgraded from a studio to a 1-bed apartment which was great for entertaining colleagues. The apartment was very quiet, and comfortably furnished with adequate, though not elegant, appointments. The kitchen was well-supplied, and perfectly suited to making breakfast or a light meal if you want a night in. Everything was clean and working. My only gripe is the charge for internet access in the apartment, although free wifi was available in the lobby.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back if you want a quiet one. But expect it to be pretty dark (which is not a...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Montevideo, Uruguay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Great value for your money! Robert the doorman is great, friendly, very helpful and takes care of you as if you were at home! I usually stay in 4 star hotels in Manhattan -- which were fully booked last week due to the holidays -- and from now on I will make the Murray Hill East Suites
my standard NYC hotel. Furniture is old fashioned BUT 1)clean, 2)well maintained and 3)very functional. Our suite (2 rooms, kitchenette, bathroom) was very spacious, well iluminated, had a view of the Empire State, was very tidy and clean. The location is excellent (5' from Grand Central, grocery store at the corner, supermarket one block away, plenty of restaurants/pharmacies nearby) and still the street is not too noisy or crowdy. Having both a spacious desk to work, plus a table to eat, plus three big wardrobes made it possible to have all our stuff organized as if we were at home and not living out of a suitcases as you usually feel in a standard hotel room. Finally, we stayed three days at a similar hotel two blocks away on 39th (the Eastgate Towers) for the same price and expected a similar service/type of hotel, but the latter was a huge disappointment and totally run down. So, in case you look for a spacious suite, with a European, old-fashioned but cosy flair, very clean and with great service, then the Murray Hill East Suites is your best option in Manhattan!

Room Tip: We had a suite looking at the front, with Empire State view in the 6th floor. Two rooms, plus kitche...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Recently, we stayed at the Murray Hill Suites East for one night. I booked it via Hotwire two days before our trip. The purpose of our trip was to shop and dine in the mid-town Manhattan area so this hotel is perfect. its about 15-20 minutes walk to time square and Macy. The parking garage is close by and only $25 per day with hotel validation, relatively inexpensive in Manhattan. We took the last room with two queen beds located at the 2nd floor facing the street. It was nosy, you could hear everything from the street traffic. It didn't border us since we were so tired after walking all day and we only stay for 1 night. Next time, I would definitely try to get a room at higher floor and facing the back of the building. Also, the hotel is dated and definitely need some renovation but its clean. Lastly, the room is huge for hotel in Manhattan. there is a separate sitting area and kitchen so its perfect for family with kids. I'd stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: high floor, facing the back of the building. Ask for parking validation (40% off)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Murray Hill East Suites? Share your experiences!