“How disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #289 of 452 hotels in New York City
Binghamton, New York
“How disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I have returned to this hotel to my great chagrin. I really liked the hotel and its location and have stayed there several times (see previous review). Clearly, the management has abandoned all training. Our beds were not properly made, and when we complained, they were re-made and a dirty sheet was left behind a chair in the room. The floor hadn't been vacuumed. I saw a doorman ignore many travelers, only help the females parties, and spit in the street.; As for upkeep in room 1907, there was mold in the shower, the furniture noticeably nicked, carpet fraying, one lamp had no knob, When I voiced my complaint to an assistant manager, I was told I only ordered the standard room for only $350 per night. Don't worry, I won't book a room again.

2,968 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
McLean, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stay at this hotel every time we visit NYC. It is quiet, clean, reasonably priced, the staff is very friendly and efficient and, most of all, it is in the perfect location, just off Times Square. It is within easy walking distance of all theaters and hundreds of superb restaurants. In case you haven;t visited New York recently, there are never cabs available when you need them. So, if you have theater tickets,say, for 8:00 Saturday night, you can forget about getting a cab to get there. You can either hire a limo or walk. If shopping is your thing, it is an easy walk to 5th Avenue. The rooms are not luxurious, and could probably use some upgrading, but they are fine. I also wasn't thrilled to have to pay for internet, but that's all I can think of to complain about. So, give this gem a try, but please: keep it under your hat. We don't want it to be too popular so we can't get a room!

Las Vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My husband and I recently found ourselves stranded in NYC during Hurricane Sandy. We moved to the Millenium Broadway to ride out the storm. Our room was unbelievably large (for anywhere, but especially NYC -corner king room). I have stayed in NYC many times, but found that even though this is a "touristy" area, it is within walking distance of almost everything, including Hell's Kitchen where restaurants to suit any taste. We loved our stay here!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
EmilyRF, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at Millennium Hotel Broadway, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review us. Being in a touristy area such as Times Square definitely has its benefits, especially when it comes to the great restaurants in the Hell’s Kitchen District. Though Hurricane Sandy may have put a damper on things, I’m glad you were able to enjoy your stay during a not so great time. We hope to see you again soon.

Donaghadee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Met by Monique Madison -
the Premier Consierge, what a lovely lady. Nothing was a bother to Monique, from early check-in to late-check-out. The breakfasts were lovely, the cocktail bar in the evenings first class - especially when waited on by Nyshraf, what a great fellow, very obliging. The rooms on a high floor were large by NYC standards, and a bonus if you don't like aircon you can open the two windows for fresh air. Lovely huge bed and very comfortable. Finally after a hug and kiss from Monique we left our lovely hotel but we will be back..................................soon, look out Monique!!

Room Tip: Rooms in the older part of the hotel are of a higher floor and a better view. Our room was south fa...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
I am pleased to hear you were able to enjoy our sister property, The Premier Hotel. Monique and Nyshraf are just great and we are lucky to have them part of our team. Having the breakfast and the evening cocktails in the Premier Lounge is definitely a bonus! I’m glad you had an excellent stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again!

toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I have stayed with my kids here a couple of years ago. Rooms for Manhattan are quiet ,clean and spacious. Being within steps of Times Square is great when visiting NYC with 4 kids. I understand being that close to Times Square isn't for everyone. But why this hotel deserves an Excellent rating is their Reservation staff. I received a phone call from Mr.Robert Bove a week before arriving, ensuring we had 2 adjoining rooms and beds etc. I am a Hilton Diamond Member, Starwood Gold member, and I never received this kind of service. So thanks again to Mr Bove and the reservation team.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Service is important to us and Robert is definitely an asset to our team. I’m happy to hear we were able to accommodate your requests to ensure you and your family had a pleasant stay. We look forward to servicing you as our guest in the near future.

Auckland Central, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We booked into this hotel as part of a large marathon runners and supporters group (one of several countries' worth by the looks of things). We also arrived hard on the heels of Hurricane Sandy, so understandably the staff were under a lot of pressure on our arrival. Check in was very busy but there were 3 staff members attending to a couple of large groups and we were checked in within 20 minutes, so not a problem.

Unfortunately, we were allocated a smoking room on the 28th floor. It absolutely REEKED of smoke and was most unpleasant. I rang the desk and spoke to Maurice, who was quite brusque, rude and disinterested - he would not change our room whatsoever, before hanging up in my ear. We had to endure 2 nights in this room before we were finally swapped to a non-smoking room and this was only achieved because our tour organisers stepped in.

The rooms themselves were very tired and in need of an upgrade. Cleanliness was borderline, especially in the bathrooms. The first room had dodgy plumbing and the water didn't empty well after showering so your feet were left in dirty looking puddles, best not think too long and hard about that! The beds were comfortable but only had a very thin duvet inner on top (not even in a duvet cover), which in November was inadequate. We had to ring down to get another blanket as there were no spares in the second room.

In a kind gesture the hotel waived the internet fees for the marathon groups after the marathon was cancelled, it usually costs $12.95/day - I'd assumed it would have been free anyway. There is free wi-fi access in the lobby, the clerk will give you the password to connect.

The location of the hotel is superb, so close to Times Square and the theatres of Broadway. Try your luck in a cancellation queue - we did and got seats 4 rows back for a fraction of the cost. Some shows also have auctions for cheap tickets, enquire at the show of your choice if this is an option. Apparently the show to see is the Book of Mormon, but we heard it's quite irreligious. We saw Chicago and it was fab.

Breakfast was included for us and was just fine for a couple who generally like muesli and fruit; if you want to try the typical "American staples" of waffles, pancakes etc, these were also served on a rotational basis. Can remember thinking a full American breakfast was a bit pricey, you'd be able to get cheaper elsewhere.

Generally the staff were polite and helpful (apart from Maurice that one time).

Room Tip: If you're a non-smoker and are given a room on the 28th floor, do not budge until they have give...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I had stayed in this hotel for a few nights in 2008, and remembered it as OK. My friend who booked it must have had a special deal, because THIS room was nothing like the one we had in 2008. The beds were hard as rocks; I had to request extra pillows from housekeeping to make a better mattress on TOP of the mattress to be able to sleep (and BTW, housekeeping was surly about providing them). I was stunned that there was no coffeemaker in the room, and would not have known I could get one from housekeeping but for the lovely theater-desk lady who was the only person to offer us information during our stay. Coffee supplies were NEVER refilled unless we phoned and asked. Housekeeping requests invariably took two hours to fulfill. We wanted to visit the 9-11 memorial, which requires reserving and printing time-stamped tickets. The concierge wouldn't print the tickets for us, claiming "we can't because it requires personal information" -- as if the hotel didn't already have our personal information. Instead, they directed us to the in-house computers requiring a minimum payment of $5. $12.95 per day to use internet when most decent hotels have free wi-fi. TV reception and channel selection were poor. The TV remote would not allow me to change the aspect ratio so I had to watch squashed heads for a week. This place must survive on its location, certainly not its service. Never again.

Just a word about the TImes-Square location. This hotel is east of Times Square, and all the theaters and a lot of attractions are to the west of Times Square. This meant that we had to fight our way through the crowds every time we left the hotel. Next time I will definitely stay to the west, probably somewhere up in the 50's to avoid the madness.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
EmilyRF, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at Millennium Hotel Broadway, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
I apologize that your experience wasn't to your expectations. Due to PCI compliance, many of our employees (including Concierge) do not have direct access to guest’s personal information especially credit card information. This is for the protection of our guests. We are working on improvements for our televisions and other services, however I would like to further discuss your concerns and address them to our department leaders. Please contact me at erodriguez-febles@mill-usa.com. I look forward to speaking with you.

Emily

Been to Millennium Hotel Broadway? Share your experiences!