“Dependable Marriott” 4 of 5 stars
Review of New York Marriott East Side

You added New York Marriott East Side to your Saves list
New York Marriott East Side
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   525 Lexington Avenue, New York City, NY 10017 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Brkfst, Wifi, Attractions
Ranked #313 of 459 Hotels in New York City
San Francisco, California
“Dependable Marriott”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

This is our go to spot in NYC. It is near a few places that we like to visit before we go upstate. We usually have a basic room overlooking the street, but this time we were upgraded to a bigger room. The room did have more space, which is a luxury in NYC, and since we were not facing the street I thought it might be quieter than usual. NOT SO we were overlooking the craziness of ducts and mess in the ares below. There was some type of machine that came on periodically and made a screeching noise. I called at your service to see about changing rooms, AND SHE NEVER CALLED ME BACK; and we are platinum. I thought she would call back and say, sorry we're full your're stuck, but not even that. The concierge lounge is now called the M lounge & is on the 2nd floor. It is much larger than the old lounge. There is the main area with many tables and chairs and several tv's like the 16th floor, but there are also several smaller places, with counter seating and a back room with more tables and chairs, much bigger. The food selections have increased, and Margaret and Kenda are still taking good care of all the people; they sure have a wealth of info in their heads or can get it quickly, amazing ladies. We are still so grateful for their calm demeanor during hurricane Sandy, which we rode out in the lounge on the 16th floor. The staff are always cheerful and helpful, just would have been nice to hear back from them. The bottom line is the bed is the best, and that is always a great thing.
Will def. stay again next time, but will forgo the "upgrade"

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Kavala, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

I stayed there twice. The first time was three years ago. The review would be the same then. It is a big hotel in a very good location. The rooms are big with plenty of space, but you can hear the noise from the street unless you are on a high floor or in the back. The bed is EXCELLENT as in any Marriott I ever visited. The furniture look old and they actually are old but they are of good quality. The room was equipped with big flat screen tv, an iPod/iPhone docking station, a fridge (empty) and big writing desk. The bathroom is very big and they provide tons of towels every day plus amenities. There is plenty of storage space in the closet and drawers if you plan to stay for long. Big minus is the noisy air condition, but I did not use it and I suppose if I asked they would have fixed it. Another big minus is wifi, but this is general minus in NYC. It is very expensive even though the internet is cheap in the US. I am not saying that Internet is not provided, I am just saying it should either be free or at least cheaper (somewhere around 20$ a day). However they do provide free wifi access in the lobby. Breakfast is not good value for money but there are countless places nearby where breakfast is served. Just one block away there is also a 24/7 supermarket if you need something in the middle of the night (they also sell plug adapters).
In terms of location the hotel is close to a lot of things. Underground station is on 51st (less than a minute walk), Grand Central is 5 minutes walk, 5th Avenue is 6 minutes walk, as is Rockefeller Center and Times Square is 15-20 minutes walk. Central Park is about 20 minutes and the Museums about 30. But I would suggest a taxi. Taxis are relatively cheap.
In general I would recommend the hotel to a friend and I would go there again if the price was ok.

Greenville, SC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

It's a very pretty hotel and the bell service was great when I arrived. Went a little downhill from there. The person who checked me in was too busy talking on the phone to even make eye contact or say have a nice stay. The rooms are standard small New York size. The room was very clean which was good. Taking a shower was quite an adventure though. One second I was trying to jump out because the water was scalding hot then it was suddenly freezing. I slept very little. I was on the back side facing an alley and other wing of hotel. I think it was the heating or cooling fan that kept making terrible screeching noises off and on all night down below my window. There was no sleep to be had having that jolt me awake periodically. And breakfast...well the eggs were good but I think the waffles may have been made from plaster they were so hard. And if you are going to charge $28 for a buffet, at least make it edible. Literally couldn't chew them. I won't be making a return visit if it's not necessary.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Rae525, Manager at New York Marriott East Side, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Dear Brannonc,

I want to apologize for your arrival experience being so unwelcoming. Here at the Marriott East Side, we value our guests and want to make sure they feel appreciated and acknowledged especially when they first arrive. This is not a usual practice for us and I will make sure to pass this information on to my front desk and food and beverage host's, in hopes for them to learn from your feedback. If you decide to visit again in the future, hopefully we will be able to impress you.

Thank you again!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

Had stayed at the Marriott East Side before and was disappointed with the room (dark, small, ripped bedding). This time the room (2103) was quite large, nice and bright and the bathroom and products were nice as was the coffee/tea storage. The only downside was upon our arrival I noticed a desk that indicated Elite members here - I approached and was rebuffed by the desk clerk - she wasn't ready and there was a line (no line - one man awaiting a desk clerk in front). Felt quite foolish by the rebuke. Also, restaurant needs an update, food is limited and need a late night menu (croissants, scones, some lite fare). Was approached by a manager/assistant manager one night while awaiting some coffee and tea. Very nice! Our check in/check out was 4/23/2014 and 4/24/2014.

Room Tip: Ask for a bright, light room.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Bluffton, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

Nice hotel, but the room was tiny. The room was nice, but for the location and price I just expected it to me nicer. Room was ready early, which was a blessing. Staff was nice. Walking distance to many things.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Rae525, Manager at New York Marriott East Side, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear Michelle,

Thank you for your feedback! We strive to show all of our guests an exceptional experience. I'm sorry the room wasn't the size you were looking for. They are cozy and classic to represent our East Side location. We really value your feedback and I'd like to pass this along to our team.

Thank you!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

It was a pleasurable stay at Marriott East Side. My daughter and I were coming in NYC for an audition and they allowed us to check in super early, 7a. What a great relief to get rest and ready before the audition. Thank you, Marriott!
Our room was clean and comfortable.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

I stay at Marriott because it is usually reliably high quality from one hotel to another. I was disappointed with Marriott east. We needed to switch rooms initially because the first room backed up to the elevator banks! The second room was small, no light in the closet, and toilet supplies,coffee cups were not replaced. The cable reception was spotty. The lobby decor was dated. On the positive side, the staff was excellent and very helpful given that my complaints are beyond their individual control. The location is excellent.
These deficiencies ought to be easily correctable

Dear Hschub,

Thank you for your feedback. I'd like to apologize for having disappointed you. We pride ourselves on the quality of our service and our classic East Side location. We really value your feedback and are in the process of modifying our rooms, decor and some of the many other out dated features of our hotel. You're correct; they are easily fixable and hopefully the next time you decide to come to NYC we will be refreshed!

Been to New York Marriott East Side? Share your experiences!