“Nice Bathrooms, Tiny & Out-dated Rooms” 3 of 5 stars
Review of NH New York Jolly Madison Towers

You added NH New York Jolly Madison Towers to your Saves list
NH New York Jolly Madison Towers
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   22 East 38th Street, Midtown, New York City, NY 10016 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
5% EXTRA DISCOUNT
Ranked #356 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Baltimore
“Nice Bathrooms, Tiny & Out-dated Rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed here because it was one of the better deals we were able to find for a last minute stay in the city with friends. Looking at some of the pictures from other travelers, I think there must be some rooms that have been renovated, but both of the rooms that we booked were horribly outdated and stuffy. "Cozy" would be an understatement. There was hardly room for us to walk around the bed. The bed was in dire need of a new mattress and there were stains all over the carpet. The bed coverings really could use some updating as well. The air conditioner didn't work in either of the rooms we booked, and in the one I was in it rattled louder and louder as the night went on. I finally just turned it off and figured I'd crack the window as far as it'd let me - turns out, the windows open up all the way. It was a great relief for us because of how hot it was in the room, but I can see that being a huge safety issue for anyone with children (we were on a high floor).

Ironically, the bathroom looked like it had been renovated recently. It was very nice and they made good use of the space in there. The lobby was the nicest part of the hotel - pretty deceiving since it was a pretty big let-down when we opened the door to our room.

The continental breakfast wasn't free, either.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a higher floor. Be careful if you have kids - the windows open up all the way...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Doncaster, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

found hotel staff not very helpfull on reception desk amenties not as listed no gym or swimming pool hotel very dated and needs a good deep clean in some areas rooms very small and cold towels not changed One day returned to find only two sheets on bed so was cold through night.
novatel in times square loads better stayed there a few years ago

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

This was my 5th visit to NYC in the past 4 years. I have never stayed in the same hotel each time. I booked this hotel on Expedia and then started reading comments on line after I had completed the booking. Speaking from my somewhat limited experience, I know that one cannot expect a large room in NYC. Neither can one expect a 5 star hotel for $200 a night either. This is NY. In the past I have paid as much as $700 a night and as little as $150. Not sure what the cost of this hotel was because it was part of a package but think it was somewhere around $160 a night.

After reading some of the reviews, I thought I may have made a mistake but I now know that I didn't.

This location is perfect. Ten minute walk to Times Square, 3 minutes to the Empire State Building and it is only 1 block from 5th Avenue.

Our group had 2 rooms booked. They were supposed to each have a King bed. One did and the otherone didn't. The one that didn't though was huge. The one that had the king bed was also very large too. For a mid priced hotel - the rooms were very big, very clean and even had a mini bar, two telephones and 3 hair dryers. (Don't think that 3 hairdryers are normal though) Iron and ironing board were also included as were nice toiletries. Unfortunately there wasn't a coffee maker in the room though but that would be the ONLY thing that wasn't in the room.

You do have to pay for internet access which I hate (but that is common in NYC hotels).

The good and the bad:

Good:
Location
Cleanliness
Concierge - (Jose and Roy)
Safe
Great breakfast place accross the St. (Moonstruck)
Convenience store and liquor store 30 seconds away.
rooms are clean and have been updated. Surpised that the TVs aren't flat screens but then again, if you are going to New York, you probably aren't going there to watch TV.
Lots of cool places to eat near by.
Did I mention Jose and Roy?

Bad:
Have to pay for internet
No resteraunt in the hotel - but who cares right?

I didn't see all the roms in the hotel but can only comment on the rooms I saw. This is a great place. I wil stay there again when I go there next.

Room Tip: 408 and 403 are great rooms. The bellhops/concierge people are awesome.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed in New York many times and this has been by far my worst experience. The rooms are tired and worn and in need of a deep clean. On arrival we were greeted by a very sullen and unsmiling group of men on reception who appeared uninterested in their work and guests. The only saving grace are the doormen and the maids who do their best to make an old and unmaintained hotel palatable. Would not recommend the hotel or the NH Group on my experience

Stayed September 2012
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

This hotel is close to everything. A short walk will have you at the Empire State Building, Grand Central Station or even Times Square and there are plenty of quality dining options just out the door. The rooms are clean and comfortable and should anything not work (like the hairdryer) the hotel is on it straight away and it is fixed or replace immediately. From the Reception staff to the Porters to the hotel Cleaners the service is brilliant and always friendly. I am already planning my next trip to the States and definitely hope to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Austin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

After literally being electrocuted in a different hotel, I checked out and booked us at the Madison Towers. It was delightful. Great location near Bryant Park and Grand Central Station, lovely marble lobby and bathrooms, and very pleasant hotel staff. Jose, our bellman, kept us in stitches until the cab showed up.

The only reason this is not a perfect score is the size of the standard rooms (quite small, but then again, this IS New York), and our lack of any kind of view. Still, I will have this place at the top of my list on my next visit to the city.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Parker, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Selected the Jolly Madison due to it's location for a business trip. The hotel itself was pretty good but not sure if it was worth the rate. I was there on September 12th and suspect the hotels raised rates for travelers coming in for 9/11 events. They upgraded me to a deluxe room which was fairly large. Very European breakfast that, I felt, was fairly overpriced.

Room Tip: My room had a view of the next building. There was an alarm, perhaps from a parking garage, that wen...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to NH New York Jolly Madison Towers? Share your experiences!