“Great for longer term stay in the city” 4 of 5 stars

Save 25% Off Your Stay
Ranked #55 of 459 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Great for longer term stay in the city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Not the same level of service and amenities you would expect from a nice hotel in Manhattan, but the rooms are large and each has a full service kitchen. Kris is very helpful for arranging cars to airport and the like. More like an apartment with an efficient doorman than a hotel. It's Manhattan so of course it is close to everything you could possibly want. We have stayed here many times. It is also a quiet location compared to most Manhattan hotels.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
PhilipSGarcia, General Manager at Gardens NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear dzurbo,
Thank you for your continued service to the Affinia Gardens. Our impressive doorman such as Krys and all suite, spacious facility are what sets us apart from other Upper East Side Hotels.
I really appreciate you leaving your feedback here on trip advisor for all fellow travelers to see.

Please ask for me on your next trip in so we can meet in person.

Steve Sasso

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
Santa Fe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I have stayed at the Affina Gardens for over 19 years and they have it right. The rooms were remodeled along with the lobby. the rooms are exceptionaly clean. The little kitchenette was very handy and the bed and couch very comfortable. The tv screen is large and there is wi-fi. The staff can take care of everything, errands, car service, theater tickets, etc. They even hace menus from restraurants in the area. The hotel is handy for everywhere yet in a quiet neighborhood. Thanks again to , Kris, Caprise and Michael.

Dear bbmik,
It is such an honor to know you have been faithful guests of ours for so many years. Thank you for mentioning the our newly remodeled lobby. We are proud of new bright open space! You are right about our staff taking care of everything. We will take on each task or request as a personal mission to give or guest what they want.

Again, I appreciate your business and making Affinia Gardens your yearly getaye for so many years.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Early check in was provided for by Mr.Hilario, and it was much appreciated! The 1BR suite was in a great corner location and all amenities requested prior to arrival were provided- very impressed!
Reception and concierge/bell captain were very pleasant and genuinely friendly. Kris is a old-style bell captain, immaculately dressed and keeps the customers entertained while waiting for the car.
We will definately be back in three months, but for more nights in order to fully enjoy the location and service of this boutique hotel!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Valdosta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

This was my second stay at Affinia Gardens. The accomodations are quite spacious, and the staff (especially Kris) is very friendly and helpful. The location is perfect for me, and the street is relatively quiet. I definitely plan to stay there again on my next trip to NYC!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear kmegow,

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts about the Affinia Gardens. I am glad to see that your overall experience was a good one. Our location and gracious staff such as Krys are just some of the many reasons why our guests keep coming back for more.

I am happy to see you will be back on your next trip to NYC. Please stop by my office so I can meet you in person.

Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Ok, to begin with I was a tiny bit disappointed - the kitchen had the barest of essentials and the neighborhood did not have all the restaurants and bars we had enjoyed at other locations in NYC, however, I must say that once I looked past these minor things, I really came to enjoy our stay at the affinia gardens. Staff were fantastic (thank you to Kris) for being the friendliest person we met in NY, rooms were serviced every day, and our room was large enough for our family of 5. This hotel was a great choice for us, right price and easy walk to all the things we wanted to do, plus close to the subway too.. Would recommend but note to Affinia Management, might be a good idea to include a few extra cooking utensils in the room...

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor
Dear MacqueenSydney,

I am sorry for the minor disappointments you saw in our location and amenities. For future stays, I would recommend asking the front desk to have extra utensils brought to your room. We have more supply on property. Although the Upper East Side isn’t of the “happening” in NYC, there can be hidden treasures in our quiet streets. Next time you stay with us, ask our concierge to surprise you with what our neighborhood has to offer; they will be more than happy to help!
I am glad to see that you looked past the slight details and you and your family did find that this was a great location to stay in NYC. I have taken note of your suggestion and will bring this up to our corporate management.

Thank you for review here on trip advisor.

Aptos, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I used this hotel recently on a 3-day business trip to NYC. We found it based on reviews in Trip Advisor, and I am happy to add my review here as well.

- The room (I was in 308) was very large for a hotel room anywhere, let alone in Manhattan. It was easily 350 square feet. It included a kitchenette with fridge, microwave, and a gas range, along with dishes and utensils.
- The location is convenient and near Central Park
- The room was nicely remodeled and had cool LED lighting
- The bed was very comfortable
- The street was very quiet. I actually slept with the window open...!
- The staff was very friendly and helpful, especially Caprice, Johanne, and Mike. They arranged for a car later in the day to take us to JFK.
- They have a computer to print boarding passes for free
- Wi-Fi is free in the lobby, but you do have to pay while in your room
- When I come bac to NYC on vacation, I will definitely stay here again

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
PhilipSGarcia, General Manager at Gardens NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Lindora M,
Thank you for commenting on your most recent trip to Affinia Gardens. I am happy you stated that you stayed here because of our great reviews on tripadvisor. No one says it better than someone with experience. We do live up to all expectations tripadvisor viewers have of us. Our location, quiet tree lines streets and friendly staff are why people are so pleased with their stay. Our spacious rooms are another reason guests are so pleasantly surprised upon walking into their rooms.

I appreciate your thoughtful review and hope to meet you on your next stay at Affinia Gardens.

Philip Garcia
Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I stayed at Affinia Gardens for a total of 5 nights. Take in mind while staying in New York you are going to have to deal with a high median in certain areas and Upper East Side is one of them. However for Affinia Gardens, considering it's location, the rate I was able to get was very attractive. I had actually booked a hotel at another location and then contacted Affinia Gardens which was closer to Lenox Hill Hospital and by which gave me an offer that I could not refuse. So let's get the negatives out the way first. The internet. I don't know how many reviews have to be written for this company to consider changing the way it provides internet service. It's really sad when you can go to Starbucks and get free internet yet to access internet in this hotel you will have to pay $14.95 for 24 hours, $62.95 for one week and if you by chance happen to stay for 1 month, (doubt anyone will) you will have to dish out $245.95. Now I don't know about you but I've stayed at many hotels before, with most having free internet (most recent B&B Carmine in Augusta, Italy), and very few charging. We live in the year 2012 and if hotels are going to provide this service, especially when your rooms are going to cost you over $400 a night, (for me it was a bit cheaper due to government rates) you should not have to pay. You do have the option of accessing the internet from Affinia's business room but that will cost you as well, $5.95 for 15 minutes. It's unfortunate that I had to take up this much of the review discussing internet. Anyways in all fair judgement I can not base my review upon internet solely the staff was very friendly & welcoming, (select few should probably smile more) & the rooms were bigger then average for a New York hotel. Everything was very clean except the floor in the bathroom could have been cleaned a little better because you could see how the dirt had built up in between the cracks but everything else was pretty much spotless. If you are also flying in from JFK or other surrounding airports the hotel offers it's own cab service to and from the airport but you would obviously have to notify them a head of time and inquire into the availability of this service. I paid $75 to get back to JFK from the hotel. A regular cab would have cost me $52, plus $6.50 toll and gratuity for the cab driver which varies upon how well you think the driver was which should be at least $5+ if going that far. I took the comfort in knowing I was going to have a cab waiting and went ahead and probably paid a little more for the hotel cab. Now to some extent you are going to have to deal with car horns in New York, (honking more then twice should be banned) so considering this when I say the area Affinia Gardens was in was quiet I'm comparing this to other parts of New York and in all honesty I slept great minus the ear plugs. Overall my experience here was very nice. My number one thing is, "Is the staff friendly?" and "Are the rooms clean?" and Affinia Gardens more then exceeded my expectations. I would stay here again for sure and probably make Affinia my first choice however, I would inquiry into whether or whether not this internet situation had improved. Thanks for the comfortable stay.

Room Tip: If you have never been to New York please take note. Have a stash of cash specially prepared for the...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear Pazpratodos,

Thank you for taking the time out to write a rather lengthy review on the Affinia Gardens. Your comments are valid and informative for our tripadvisor viewers. Let me say that all the reviews on the internet are not going un noticed. I understand that in this day and age this is atrocious. I am doing all I can to bring this issue up in meetings and to make this service complimentary. It is however taking longer than expected. I appreciate you not scoring us solely on the internet. Let me include that we do have complimentary wifi in our lobby at all times. I have taken note on your requests about our bathroom cleanliness. I have followed up with my housekeeping director to insist on different tactics to ensure cleaner bathrooms. Our car service is used most frequently! Most guests like the fact that they have peace of mind rather than getting into a random cab.
I would like to hint as to why you had such a honk-less nights’ sleep. We on the Upper East Side are known for our no honking laws. Drivers are fined over $200 if they do so. This is why it is such a difference from other parts of NYC.
I am grateful for your honest opinions and hope that I can welcome you back to the Affinia Gardens once again.

Philip Garcia

Been to Gardens NYC–an Affinia hotel? Share your experiences!